• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Detroit: The Canary In The Coal Mine - Will The Future Of America Look Like Detroit?

bronko

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This is a great movie about Detroit and how the economy started to fall apart: A Dream Revered | Infowars Online Film Festival

I think if we keep loosing our hard industries (by giving them up to China and India, just to keep the Dollar floating) the rest fo the economy will go down with it. It is simple impossible to have a good economy with just a service sector and welfare..

Re: Detroit: The Canary In The Coal Mine - Will The Future Of America Look Like Detro

This is a great movie about Detroit and how the economy started to fall apart: A Dream Revered | Infowars Online Film Festival

I think if we keep loosing our hard industries (by giving them up to China and India, just to keep the Dollar floating) the rest fo the economy will go down with it. It is simple impossible to have a good economy with just a service sector and welfare..

The liberals won't believe you, because you left out that huge federal gov't to fix everything. ;)

Re: Detroit: The Canary In The Coal Mine - Will The Future Of America Look Like Detro

The liberals won't believe you, because you left out that huge federal gov't to fix everything. ;)
No kidding.... The $16 trillion Federal Frankenstein.. the cause of all economic and freedom issues the country facing currently...

I have have learned my lesson, and view Alex Jones and his kin as nothing other than self-interested comic relief.

Yeah. All the free trade deals that got pushed through really screwed us all. Don't forget the financial sector. Soon it will be the only sector where you can make any money.

And 'welfare' ain't a sector. The welfare state is a form of income redistribution, and keeps kids and single moms from starving to death or turning to crime. It puts money into the hands of people who will immediately spend it on goods and services in their local areas.

No kidding.... The $16 trillion Federal Frankenstein.. the cause of all economic and freedom issues the country facing currently...

Huh, if government is bad...why wasn't Canada affected profoundly by your 2008 mayem? You guys just can't regulate your banks. Full stop.

Lay of the Chinese dude.....they are only hard working and pretty much the smartest race on this planet.

America's decay is mostly created internally. This country have become fat and lazy ...literally ....and Detroit is just the beginning.

Remember the day when an American man instinctively felt, it was his duty to fight for this country...remember those days? Today most American have absolutely no shame in wanting Mexicans and illegals to literally fight for America ...while they stay home and do nothing. Who's in our army today .....poor people!

And for all the fodder about great military ...it's strictly based on our advanced weaponry, and mostly due to the fact that all our recent wars have been against a handful of un-trained, half-starved enemy running around in slippers!

American is declining bud.....~10% unemployment will be the norm no matter who's president....our roads and bridges will keep on decaying ....air transportation will grow more dangerous...this is it.

Just be glad you lived to see this country when it was at it's peak!!

This is a great movie about Detroit and how the economy started to fall apart...

Only if our population drops by 80% like Detroits has.

I suspect that long term, our savior will be our increasing productivity due to technology. We are not producing more than we did before the recession (even adjusted for inflation), and we are doing it with fewer people. the biggest long term issue is figuring out how to supply every family with an income, once we get to the point that there are not enough 40 hours jobs for every family to have at least one.

Loosing some industries should not be an issue, you cannot compete with the cutthroat prices some foreign companies can work with. The industry has to replaced by other industry, sophisticated industry but too long the US has floated on an economy fueled by service industry and computer software (silicon valley) and almost totally driven by consumer spending in the US and around the world. This was a foolhardy economy because as soon crisis struck the consumer driven economy was floundering badly and could only be revived by renewed spending. This is combined with the fact that other countries are catching up on computer industry and service industry.

The US has to re-invent itself and be the best in all the new industries out there, the ones money can be made off and where the US is technologically advanced than all other countries in the world.

Loosing some industries should not be an issue, you cannot compete with the cutthroat prices some foreign companies can work with. The industry has to replaced by other industry, sophisticated industry but too long the US has floated on an economy fueled by service industry and computer software (silicon valley) and almost totally driven by consumer spending in the US and around the world. This was a foolhardy economy because as soon crisis struck the consumer driven economy was floundering badly and could only be revived by renewed spending. This is combined with the fact that other countries are catching up on computer industry and service industry.

The US has to re-invent itself and be the best in all the new industries out there, the ones money can be made off and where the US is technologically advanced than all other countries in the world.

You might not like to hear it ....but here is the bitter pill----> There will be absolutely nothing wrong with the world if the US is no longer #1.

China can be the dominant country .....and it won't matter. It isn't law, or karma or some divine or heavenly intent that America should be #1.

Look at any sport ....one guy works his way up to dominate ....he does so for a while ....and then somebody takes his place .....and the world goes on!

Hmm - well you know, at the same time, many places are growing because of new business ventures (production and otherwise)

You might not like to hear it ....but here is the bitter pill----> There will be absolutely nothing wrong with the world if the US is no longer #1.

China can be the dominant country .....and it won't matter. It isn't law, or karma or some divine or heavenly intent that America should be #1.

Look at any sport ....one guy works his way up to dominate ....he does so for a while ....and then somebody takes his place .....and the world goes on!

Why would I not want to hear it or think it is a bitter pill?

Why would I think it is a law, karma of divine/heavenly intent that America is number 1?

Interesting conclusion you jumped to - someone hoping for a more solid economic future isn't the same as insisting we have to be the self-declared best.

Why would I not want to hear it or think it is a bitter pill?

Why would I think it is a law, karma of divine/heavenly intent that America is number 1?

Just to clarify, I do not have a problem with the US being number one in the world economy, it is fine but if not that is fine too. The US will keep on growing and being the most important country in the world. The most important country status is more than just number one in economy.

China might have the economic power to become a superpower but it does not have the moral authority or the military authority to become a superpower. That is still 100% the USA.

Just to clarify, I do not have a problem with the US being number one in the world economy, it is fine but if not that is fine too. The US will keep on growing and being the most important country in the world. The most important country status is more than just number one in economy.

China might have the economic power to become a superpower but it does not have the moral authority or the military authority to become a superpower. That is still 100% the USA.

Like I said ...it will be a bitter pill for you to swallow.
Let me repeat ....there is nothing wrong ...if some other country becomes the world super power in the same capacity the US is in today.
The world will go on and may even be a better place to live.

Americans are led to believe being No.1 is some divine will ....and it's a bit reckless and dangerous. Because with that mind set you people can be quickly stirred up to vilify and go to war. After all if being no.1 is some divine will .....and you're losing that status ....it must be because the new super-power is evil...right?

Can't be because they work hard and their people are literally genetically smarter than Americans....right?

Like I said ...it's a bitter pill. China have that capacity, they can win economically, they can lead morally and a military is something you build ....with money ...I wouldn't even factor that in because it's a given.

Let me repeat ....there is nothing wrong ...if some other country becomes the world super power in the same capacity the US is in today.

Americans are led to believe being No.1 is some divine will ....and it's a bit reckless and dangerous. Because with that mind set you people can be quickly stirred up to vilify and go to war. After all if being no.1 is some divine will .....and you're losing that status ....it must be because the new super-power is evil...right?

Can't be because they work hard and their people are literally genetically smarter than Americans....right?

Like I said ...it's a bitter pill. China have that capacity, they can win economically, they can lead morally and a military is something you build ....with money ...I wouldn't even factor that in because it's a given.

And you still seem to think that would be a bitter pill for me to swallow? And why you should think that is beyond me. I thought I was pretty obvious is my response earlier:

Why would it be a bitter pill for me to swallow???

Also, China does not have the moral leadership of the world. They are not a democracy and rule by military power in their own country oppressing their own population in the process. Maybe some day they will have moral leadership and military leadership but that position is still in the hands of the USA and it will remain there for the time being.

And you still seem to think that would be a bitter pill for me to swallow? And why you should think that is beyond me. I thought I was pretty obvious is my response earlier:

Also, China does not have the moral leadership of the world. They are not a democracy and rule by military power in their own country oppressing their own population in the process. Maybe some day they will have moral leadership and military leadership but that position is still in the hands of the USA and it will remain there for the time being.
What moral leadership are you blabbering about?

America have slavery as their most significant historical event....followed by decades of Jim Crow ...something that persists today!

Do you actually think ....this moral leadership.....is something America gets to decide?
China isn't going to sit around waiting for America to tell them or give them anything bud ....they'll simply take it!!
When the time comes ....your authority will be as significant as the leader from Bangladesh or Guam!!

This is what I've been saying .....it's a bitter pill for you to swallow!!

Detroit is a lesson in what happens when you let "right-to-work" laws and deregulation run rampant.

What moral leadership are you blabbering about?

America have slavery as their most significant historical event....followed by decades of Jim Crow ...something that persists today!

Do you actually think ....this moral leadership.....is something America gets to decide?
China isn't going to sit around waiting for America to tell them or give them anything bud ....they'll simply take it!!
When the time comes ....your authority will be as significant as the leader from Bangladesh or Guam!!

This is what I've been saying .....it's a bitter pill for you to swallow!!

Slavery? You mean that which ended almost 150 years ago? America is not the country it was in the sixties of the last century and yes, Moral Leadership is biggest for the US among all world powers. China and Russia cannot claim it, they do not have the standing the US has. That is a fact of life, regardless about how much I personally would like it.

No, Moral Leadership is not something the US gets to decide, it is a fact that when things happen in the world, a large majority of countries will takes it's lead from what the US does, then it looks to what the EU thinks and does and then maybe what China thinks.

And for the last time, it seems I am going to have to spell it out for you because you surely do not seem to take the hints I have been giving you:

I am Dutch, I was born and live in the Netherlands. I have no chauvinistic feelings towards this issue so your assertions that it would be a bitter pill makes no sense because I have nothing to swallow.

hahaha... Michigan is one of the most regulated state with the one the highest tax system.. The Die factories are moving out of state because the taxes on machinery are sick high.. And the "right to to work" is just passed this year.. I leave in Michigan.. Michigan was a not right to work state until now... . Since the Unions got to strong all the new Auto industries are opening in the South like in Texas...

America have slavery as their most significant historical event....

That is about as stupid as saying that the holocaust was Europe's most significant historical event. Obviously you know nothing about America.

China has a lot of problems too.. Its a state run artificial economy what it means it's full of bubbles ready to make a correction... The Chines currency is artificially kept low what destroying the Chines workers purchasing power, causing a anger between a population, it's just a matter of time when they have a revolt..

Hmmm...

Here is a another conservative/libertarian with similar views...Unlike most conservatives and Libertarian of Today he actually cared what happens to America and its US citizens.

Adding to the controversies over both congressional and presidential impotence was the question about the looming financial default of New York City. For eight months, the nation's most populous city, paying the price for attempting to cope with overwhelming economic and social forces, without budgetary discipline, stood at the brink of economic collapse. Only in later months did it become apparent that the New York predicament merely epitomized the problems faced by the nation's older urban centers. Meanwhile, with default virtually a certainty, those with traditionally rural biases against big-city evils found satisfaction that, at last, the "chickens had come home to roost" because of "misguided liberalism." Ford, the conservative, Middle American president, assumed the support of that constituency and kept his distance from the situation even as harried local officials searched for ways to avoid fiscal disaster.

Ford's position was never a mystery. Yet, when he delivered a stern rebuke to the city on 29 October 1975, promising to veto any "bailout" of the nation's premier city, the finality of his statement came as a draconian blow. In one of those journalistic feats that convert a political leader's comments into pungent rhetoric, the New York Daily News reported the president's position with the headline FORD TO CITY: DROP DEAD . The Ford rationale, of course, was simple: only by his display of firmness would the city tidy its financial house.

In the days that followed, there was a growing realization that the administration's position had underestimated how much others throughout the country feared the implications of permitting the collapse of New York City. Vice President Rockefeller openly began to suggest that the government might indeed have to play a role. From within the White House itself came similar signals, especially from Treasury Secretary William Simon.

Ford held to his stern justification that he was forcing New York to restore its own fiscal viability, but at the same time, his retreat had become inevitable. Within the city, frantic negotiations took place involving all parties, including banks that had funded the city's short-term securities. Under the pressure, all interested parties came together during additional weeks of negotiations. Drastic reductions were made in the city's work force. Bankers restructured bond issues. The new Municipal Assistance Corporation was established to sell securities. Union pension funds were committed to their purchase. One near disaster after another was averted in a series of cliff-hanger scenarios.

Finally, with the city seemingly acting to repair the damage and the broader consequences of a default becoming clearer, Ford changed his stance when he met the press on 26 November. "I have, quite frankly," he announced, "been surprised that they have come as far as they have." Ford then asked Congress to approve federal loans to the city on a seasonal basis through 30 June 1978. He covered his own retreat by emphasizing that New York had "bailed itself out." Finally, by a narrow margin in the House, Congress approved Ford's request for a seasonal financing act to provide up to $2.3 billion for short-term loans during the next three years at 1 percent above the federal cost of money. To further fortify the city against default, in case that assistance failed to work, additional legislation was enacted to facilitate municipal bankruptcy proceedings so that New York and other cities could adjust repayment of their debts. Ford's position, combined with local and federal measures, induced some painful cutbacks but did start the process of rehabilitating New York's finances.

With the coming of the presidential election year, the status of the economy acquired a new urgency. Fortunately, by early 1976, inflation was easing off, and there were tentative signs of recovery, but unemployment would continue to fluctuate throughout the year at undesirably high levels. In his State of the Union message, Ford again urged a slowing down of government spending coupled with incentives for the private sector. "We thought we could transform the country through massive national programs, but often the programs did not work, he said, sounding a theme that became heard more frequently and with varying degrees of stress from Republican critics of the Democratic past. "Too often they only made things worse," he added, and called for a "new realism that is true to the great principles upon which this nation was founded.................."

The new york city crisis - Gerald R. Ford - policy, war, election, domestic, foreign, second

Diving Mullah

Hmmm...

Here is a another conservative/libertarian with similar views...Unlike most conservatives and Libertarian of Today he actually cared what happens to America and its US citizens.

Diving Mullah

The idea that any local gov't may freely opperate without interference from above (outside?), opting out of SS/Medicare for its own "better deal" and then when it digs itself into a deep, deep hole it can simply "surrender", declare a "woops" and receive outside financial aid is simply insane. To pay Detroit pensioners anything more than what their SS/Medicare benefits would have orherwise been simply flips the middle finger to the vast majority that must live under the SS/Medicare system.

Many now seem to assert that the "good faith" bargaining made between Detroit and its own (union?) workers trumps the rights of all others and demand that they get a "deserved" bailout. To me this smacks of taxation without representation, as we the sheeple had no say in Detroit's financial decisions yet are now to be asked to pick up that tab.

To make whole the deal that Detriot had promised to its pensioner's would cost every resident of Michigan about $900, or every US citizen about $15 - yet somehow only the Detroit city pensioners deserve this "sweet" retirement deal, while the rest of us must pay into SS for as long as we work and send relief to the self-annointed folks of Detroit's public unions.

Last edited:

So what exactly do we do? Those industries and the companies that own them are few to make decisions to open factories in other countries as well as close them here. Should we legally prevent them from doing so? You don't want that obviously. Maybe we should depress our own standard of living, work place safety laws, taxes, etc so we can compete with China and India, instead of trying to move forward we should be racing backwards.

Let those industries go, the economics of the world have changed and will continue to change, trying to cling to the past while everyone else moves forward will just result in us being left behind. We need new industries, new demands for American workers, that's the damn solution.

Detroit is a lesson in what happens when you let "right-to-work" laws and deregulation run rampant.
There is not one shred of evidence that deregulation or right to work were any factor at all in Detroit's demise. None.

Your post is an example of what happens when the clueless get their hands on a computer with internet access.

Back
Top Bottom