• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Detroit Taxes on Homes or Lots

CalGun

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Hello,

I noticed an advertisement for a small residential lot in Detroit. My wife and I were thinking about it
and its affordable enough we thought if we could buy it, go there, clear it, landscape it, and plant some
food bearing trees and leave it behind it'd be a cool thing to do; its within our limits financially but
I'm having to find out how much the taxes would be so i can set up a trust to keep it going past us?

Anyone know what the property taxes are like for a small lot in Detroit?

Very thoughtful idea.

Ask these people https://www.detroitmi.gov/DepartmentsandAgencies/Finance/PropertyTax.aspx but be aware that taxes fluctuate and Detroit is a bit unstable now.

Hello,

I noticed an advertisement for a small residential lot in Detroit. My wife and I were thinking about it
and its affordable enough we thought if we could buy it, go there, clear it, landscape it, and plant some
food bearing trees and leave it behind it'd be a cool thing to do; its within our limits financially but
I'm having to find out how much the taxes would be so i can set up a trust to keep it going past us?

Anyone know what the property taxes are like for a small lot in Detroit?

I'd just call. You might get lucky. I've called the Las Vegas Assessors office and they were pretty nice to me. Worth a try Sir.

We were sitting here and going through that and its a bit difficult to configure - being from California its not hard to calculate but I can't tell what this "mileage" thing is.

That's what we will probably have to do. I found some listings for lots under a $1000. The fun part to us will be to figure out how to landscape it for minimal maintenance costs and we love to plant trees that produce free fruits or nutts but I'm not familiar enough with the climate yet to know what might make it there - what won't. So the fun is in the reasearch.

That's what we will probably have to do. I found some listings for lots under a $1000. The fun part to us will be to figure out how to landscape it for minimal maintenance costs and we love to plant trees that produce free fruits or nutts but I'm not familiar enough with the climate yet to know what might make it there - what won't. So the fun is in the reasearch.

since you are not going to be there to maintain it and you could get hit with fines and liability, you may want to contact a community garden and buy it for them and just retain the naming rights or something or put a reversion clause in your deed so it comes back to you if they stop using it.

We were sitting here and going through that and its a bit difficult to configure - being from California its not hard to calculate but I can't tell what this "mileage" thing is.

it is millage and looks to run about $85-$86/$1K in value

FAQs |Treasury |Finance

Thanks, I will research out groups in the area, and can cloud the deed - it might be a way to go.

Definitely. If I am understanding this right, their property tax total runs close to 10% per year effective--no freaking wonder people are letting the buildings collapse. That is a freaking ridiculous tax rate.

Yeah that is sad. 10% is not a big deal on such a small and insignificant property like I hope to find, but on a home worth $75,000 its a real killer to a family. Its no wonder so many peole have left Detroit.

Definitely. If I am understanding this right, their property tax total runs close to 10% per year effective--no freaking wonder people are letting the buildings collapse. That is a freaking ridiculous tax rate.

Yeah that is sad. 10% is not a big deal on such a small and insignificant property like I hope to find, but on a home worth $75,000 its a real killer to a family. Its no wonder so many peole have left Detroit.

yeah that is more than 10 times the rate I pay in the highest taxed area I own property and somewhere around 16-18 times the rate I pay on some backwoods property I own.

Back
Top Bottom