• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Detained US citizen Paul Whelan was in Moscow for a wedding, his brother says

markjs

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Detained US citizen Paul Whelan was in Moscow for a wedding, his brother says
By Jason Hanna and AnneClaire Stapleton, CNN

Updated 1:44 PM ET, Tue January 1, 2019

(CNN)A US citizen and corporate security director detained in Russia on accusations of spying is a retired Marine who was in Moscow for a wedding, his twin brother said Tuesday.

Paul Whelan, 48, of Novi, Michigan, was arrested Friday in Moscow on suspicion of carrying out an act of espionage, Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) has said. His family rejects the accusation.

190101081049-paul-whelan-medium-plus-169.jpg

Paul Whelan was arrested Friday in Moscow, Russia said.

"We are deeply concerned for his safety and well-being. His innocence is undoubted and we trust that his rights will be respected," Whelan's brother, David Whelan, said in a statement released Tuesday to CNN.

Paul Whelan is director of global security for Michigan-based automotive components supplier BorgWarner, where he has worked a few years, the company said Tuesday.

Paul has been to Russia many times for work and personal business, and he flew to Moscow on December 22 to attend a wedding ceremony for a fellow ex-Marine and a Russian woman, David Whelan said.

Paul was with the bride and groom at the Kremlin on Friday, acting as a tour guide for wedding guests, the brother said. When Paul didn't arrive at the wedding later that day, the couple filed a missing-person report with Russian authorities, David Whelan said.

The family learned about Paul's detention only on Monday morning after media reports emerged, David Whelan said.

"Knowing that he's not dead, it weirdly really helps," David Whelan said. "When we couldn't get ahold of him initially, we were worried, and we are still worried now, but at least we know he is alive."

Paul Whelan was born in Canada to British parents, but lives in Michigan now and served multiple tours with the US Marine Corps in Iraq, his brother said. The US State Department has said he is a US citizen.

Whelan's has contacted congressional representatives, the US Embassy, and the State Department for information and assistance, his brother said.

"I think there's really just one goal, which is ... to get Paul back home."...

So how much you wanna bet Trumpy bends right over and says "Well if my friend Ptin says he was spying..." then gives over Butina, like Putin wants. Appeasing "Rusher" is obviously a Trump (and GOP) priority.:roll:

This stinks of bargaining chip, so we'll see how it goes.

Yeah but you see of course Trump has his master checkers stategy against the rest of the world's chess, and basically against Putin's "Vulcan Kal Toh", comparitively speaking.:roll:

We are so ****ed.:roll:

So how much you wanna bet Trumpy bends right over and says "Well if my friend Ptin says he was spying..." then gives over Butina, like Putin wants. Appeasing "Rusher" is obviously a Trump (and GOP) priority.:roll:

Soooo, what would you suggest Trump do?

Go to war? Arrest another Russian citizen and falsely accuse them of spying to trade with? Close Russian embassies and expel all Russian diplomats?

It always interests (read, amuses) me when armchair admirals, generals, and State Dept. wannabees go on and on about world policy decision-making...without any reasonable suggestions of their own.

Yes, this is a troubling issue, but how's about we give the Administration a chance to act before assuming the worst based on confirmation bias?

Just saying... :coffeepap:

Last edited:
Putin needed an American hostage. Paul Whelan was handy.

It's called a "Checkpoint Charlie" grab. Used to be fairly common in Soviet times.

If you can find one, the best person to use as an agent is one who has a totally innocuous reason for being where you want them to be.

Do I believe the Russian's claims? Nope.

Do I believe the American's denials? Nope.

Will he get swapped for a Russian agent? - Is the Pope Catholic?

Back
Top Bottom