• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Detained Belarus Opposition Leader Says She Was Threatened With ‘Dismemberment’

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Detained Belarus Opposition Leader Says She Was Threatened With ‘Dismemberment’

118970881_317018599747072_3474780048008173132_o-e1599546663109-480x270.jpg

9/10/20
Maria Kolesnikova, the last member of a trio of women opposition leaders remaining in Belarus, alleged Thursday that security forces threatened her life as she was being detained on charges of attempting to seize power. Kolesnikova went missing Monday after witnesses described seeing masked men forcing her into a minibus in central Minsk. Investigators confirmed after 48 hours of silence that Kolesnikova and another senior member of the Belarusian opposition’s Coordination Council, a body created to ensure a peaceful transfer of power, had been detained. Kolesnikova filed a complaint with investigators detailing her abduction and threats as President Alexander Lukashenko urged “stronger” measures against members of the Coordination Council. “These people made threats to take my life, which I perceived as real,” Kolesnikova wrote in the complaint, which was published on the website of a jailed presidential hopeful whose campaign she had run. “In particular, they said I would still be taken out of Belarus alive or in pieces if I didn’t voluntarily leave,” she added.

Kolesnikova identified the individuals who threatened her as employees of the Belarusian KGB and the interior ministry’s anti-corruption and organized crime unit. Kolesnikova, 38, faces up to five years in prison on the charges as Lukashenko’s regime ramps up a crackdown on post-election protests. In the complaint to investigators, she said she had been threatened with a 25-year jail term. Kolesnikova was detained at the Ukrainian border Tuesday after she tore up her passport and jumped out of a car, preventing the authorities from expelling her from Belarus.

Dismembered? Is the Lukashenka KGB borrowing a page from Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammad bin-Salman?

Related: Belarus Opposition Figure Says She Was Threatened With Death On Expulsion Attempt

Good thread RV :).

Difficult to know if these claims are true. Lukashenko needs to go, absolutely 100%. He has lost legitimacy, not with the US because they don't matter, but with his own people.

Russia will support and help Belarus manage a peaceful and democratic transition of power to an appropriate successor chosen by the people of Belarus. :)

Good thread RV :).

Difficult to know if these claims are true. Lukashenko needs to go, absolutely 100%. He has lost legitimacy, not with the US because they don't matter, but with his own people.

Should have stopped there. You were doing so well. But I do understand. You have to earn your rubles.

Russia will support and help Belarus manage a peaceful and democratic transition of power to an appropriate successor chosen by the people of Belarus. :)

Should have stopped there. You were doing so well. But I do understand. You have to earn your rubles.

:lol::lol:

I like your humour Jo ......... shame about the politics, but you could go on stage as an alternative career if Trump gets the chance to drain the swamp properly ;)

The UN Secretary General expressed serious concern over the "use of force against peaceful protesters" in Belarus.

Тhe murders of people in the United States, the Secretary General has apparently sorted out. The plunder of oil in Syria, too. Same with the illegal sanctions against Venezuela during the pandemic.

:lol::lol:

I like your humour Jo ......... shame about the politics, but you could go on stage as an alternative career if Trump gets the chance to drain the swamp properly ;)
Your chances in a stand-up comedian career aren't all that bad either.

Putin and his gang helping ANY country with a peaceful and democratic transition of power is a really good one. No doubt that bunch of mafiosi is going to lead the way with helping Russia first.

"The Lithuanian Parliament called Tikhanovskaya "elected President of Belarus".

How is the West going to recognize Tikhonovskaya as President if it doesn't recognize these elections?

At least in Venezuela their assembly chose Guaido, and here, look - the Lithuanian Parliament is the authorized body for electing presidents of the Republic of Belarus... Stinking circus

:roll: More asinine meandering from our Russian propagandist.

Back
Top Bottom