• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Despite racism, Tavecchio new Italian football fed president.

The German

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Despite a recent scandal in which he called black players "banana eaters" Carlo Tavecchio has been elected the president of the Italian football association with 68% of the vote....

Carlo Tavecchio elected Italian football president despite racism row | Football | theguardian.com

mhmm...

I think most of my fellow Europeans would agree with me that the most racist fans and clubs in Europe and possibly in the world are to be found in Spain and Italy, but I think Italian football will soon be the undisputed number one.

Despite a recent scandal in which he called black players "banana eaters" Carlo Tavecchio has been elected the president of the Italian football association with 68% of the vote....

Carlo Tavecchio elected Italian football president despite racism row | Football | theguardian.com

mhmm...

I think most of my fellow Europeans would agree with me that the most racist fans and clubs in Europe and possibly in the world are to be found in Spain and Italy, but I think Italian football will soon be the undisputed number one.

Real shame that, but in general Italian football has a really bad rap (match fixing and corruption) and this is just that little extra nail in the coffin of Italys credibility as a footballing nation.

mhmm...

No I would disagree with you fully. While racism is an issue, there are far more racist clubs in Russia, other eastern European clubs and at least one in Israel. And just because they elect an old fart as president does not mean that the whole football world in Italy becomes racist.

there are far more racist clubs in Russia, other eastern European clubs and at least one in Israel.

But those leagues are jokes, the Italian league is supposed to be one of the best in Europe (or at least it could be) but it is has an extremely corrupt and ineffectual governing body and this is yet another sign of that.

No I would disagree with you fully. While racism is an issue, there are far more racist clubs in Russia, other eastern European clubs and at least one in Israel. And just because they elect an old fart as president does not mean that the whole football world in Italy becomes racist.

[sarcasm]Oh Russia. How famous it is for football. How many international tournaments it has won. How great it`s clubs are. And how much the rest of the football worlds looks up to them as being great.

Oh and Israel. How many international tournaments they made (1). How known they are throughout the world for their skills in the game.[/sarcasm]

the only thing concerning me about the racism in Russian football is the 2018 world cup. I am pritty sure that bananas will be thrown at the players from Brazil, Ghana, USA and France. But other than that, nobody cares about Russian football and so it doesnt really matter.

And Israeli clubs and fans are known to be racist only towards Arabs, and for a good reason considering how the Arabs often succesfully managed to bully them out of federations and tournaments. And besides all that, it doesnt matter since Israel isnt a great football nation.

Spanish and Italian football however matter. And nothing compares to seeing what you can see in games played in Zaragossa or southern Italy.

But those leagues are jokes, the Italian league is supposed to be one of the best in Europe (or at least it could be) but it is has an extremely corrupt and ineffectual governing body and this is yet another sign of that.

Well it depends on how you look at it.

First of all, this guy is 71 years old. This matters. People of that age tend to be far more "racist" than younger people. It is how they grew up and while they might not think what they are saying or doing is racist, we can clearly see it is. This is not country specific. I deal with a lot of elderly people in my daily life, and "racism" is not country specific. In fact from my experience the most racist here in Spain are British, followed by Germans, Spanish, Danes and so on. It is subtle often.. oh those africans or black people cant do anything right" or "all blacks are criminals" comments that often come up in conversation. For example I had a discussion with some English and Dutch friends all over 70 in age a week ago about the ebola outbreak.. and they all said it was because the Africans are so dirty. Racist? yes in my ears it was.. but not in theirs.

Secondly, corruption in Italy is a national sport. The mafia has for decades exploited this for their benefit, but the last 20 or so years, the judiciary has been cracking down at all levels. Even former prime ministers and football stars have been caught up in this. And in football match fixing has been hit down on hard, with life time bans, and even relegating Juventus (biggest team in Italian history) a few years ago because their president was caught trying to fix games. You dont see that happening in other countries.... even though similar things do happen there.

Lastly, we will have to see what this guy wants to do as I dont know his agenda. If it is to make Italian football more corrupt than it once was.. that is bad, or will actually tackle the problems of that hits all major leagues .. the richman syndrome, inequality and so on.. time will only tell.

[sarcasm]Oh Russia. How famous it is for football. How many international tournaments it has won. How great it`s clubs are. And how much the rest of the football worlds looks up to them as being great.

Russia has some tough teams and rich teams. It is also one of the major leagues of Europe, just under the big 3, along side the German and French. Racism is a problem for especially Zenit St. Petersburg. Oh and Zenit St. Petersburg won the 2008 UEFA cup, so they have won international tournaments.

Oh and Israel. How many international tournaments they made (1). How known they are throughout the world for their skills in the game.[/sarcasm]

Israel has produced quite a few great players and among them one of my favorite.. Yossi Benayoun who was always way underrated and underplayed imo. But regardless of the standing relative to other larger leagues, it has a major racism problem. It use to be much worse, but there still is one club that is very bad, and the guys who killed the Palestinian kid which lead ultimately to the war in Gaza... are reportedly ultra members of this club. And because they are racist against Arabs, then it is some how different or lesser than idiots who hate black people?

Spanish and Italian football however matter. And nothing compares to seeing what you can see in games played in Zaragossa or southern Italy.

And again it is banter. Almost all teams in Spain and Italy that are accused of racism, have black players. Look at the Italian teams from the South of the country. Napoli has at least 3 black players, and Palermo also has at least 2 black players. The Italian national team has one top star who is black... hell he is the biggest Italian player at the moment. The Spanish national team had Senna, a black player in the 2008 European Championship team. Most Spanish teams, including Zaragosa have or have had black players. In fact, the case I suspect you are referring too is against Etoo in 2006 where parts of the crowd did monkey chants against him. In the Zaragosa team that day.. 2 black players from Brazil. If the crowd were really racist and not just trying to mess with his head, then they should be doing the exact same against their own players right? That is what happens in Zenit St. Petersburg and with Beitar Jerusalem..

Is it stupid to use that kind of banter to piss off the opposition? Sure, it is, but so is calling someones mother a whore and that someones sister sleeps with dogs... and that happens far more often on the pitch and in the stands. Hell Zidane got abuse with something about his sister and headbutted a guy in the world cup final. Zidane was punished but the Italian defender was not... had the defender called Zidane something racist, then I bet it would have been the other way around.. and that is wrong.

Just this week there was a racist incident in England, which is being looked into. There was also a racist incident in Spain not long ago, where a woman was caught on camera doing it and she was banned from the stadium for life and arrested. This crap happens all over the place.

Right now there is far too much focus on supposed racism in Spain and Italy, which is mostly stupid banter to mess with the players heads (and it works.. as we saw with Etoo), and there is almost no focus on actual racists in clubs like Zenit or Beitar.. they are allowed to compete in Europe DESPITE it being a fact that part of their fanbase is utterly racist. How warped is that?

Back
Top Bottom