• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Despite Objections, Pentagon Takes Step Toward Buying New Nuclear Weapons

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Despite Objections, Pentagon Takes Step Toward Buying New Nuclear Weapons

The U.S. Air Force has asked defense firms to bid to supply new ICBMs and controversial nuclear cruise missiles....

defense-large.jpg

Good.. Lets get a bulk deal going..

Stingy european nato protected countries can pitch in or gtfo..

US to other countries: You can't build nuclear weapons, and if you do we will ****ing wage war against you, kill your leader, and force you to live under the governmental system we like!

US: Hey defense firms, we need more nuclear weapons.

I see no problem with the logic. /sarcasm.

Last edited:
US to other countries: You can't build nuclear weapons, and if you do we will ****ing wage war against you, kill your leader, and force you to live under the governmental system we like!

US: Hey defense firms, we need more nuclear weapons.

I see no problem with the logic. /sarcasm.

That would be a fine argument in an international security system in which the US were not the power of last resort or we had implemented a supranational guarantor of general security for populations that was robust, believable and legitimate.

Without that? Forbid others getting them and use massive power to enforce it unilaterally, if necessary. Unfair? Absolutely. Necessary? No question.

That would be a fine argument in an international security system in which the US were not the power of last resort or we had implemented a supranational guarantor of general security for populations that was robust, believable and legitimate.

Without that? Forbid others getting them and use massive power to enforce it unilaterally, if necessary. Unfair? Absolutely. Necessary? No question.

There is term used in the article: "Force Multiplier"
We are not going to build new bombs by treaty. But we will worry the Russians with new delivery capability.

our aging missiles need to be upgraded.
they are getting unreliable and to maintain them
is getting difficult as the parts aren't available anymore.

I see no problem with this.

There is term used in the article: "Force Multiplier"
We are not going to build new bombs by treaty. But we will worry the Russians with new delivery capability.

From what I have been reading Russia is presently planing a whole new generation of delivery systems and warheads that will fit.

From what I have been reading Russia is presently planing a whole new generation of delivery systems and warheads that will fit.
From what I know the Russian's don't have DARPA.

It's the way of the world. The US can't afford to step down from improving their nuke arsenal while other countries will still keep their nukes. The new SSBNs that are in the works have 18 missile tubes instead of 24. That's a pretty solid start considering the alternative.

I suspect they use a different name.
I know they don't have anything like it... no one does, no matter what they call it.

I know they don't have anything like it... no one does, no matter what they call it.

I see you didn't look. They call it "TsNIITochMash".

I see you didn't look. They call it "TsNIITochMash".

I know what they call it. I have spent all of my working life (more than half a century) in the defense industry and a great deal of that time at Wright Patterson working with DARPA.

When I say they have nothing like it I mean they have no organization that is allowed to do R&D and fail. It is a philosophical difference. The Russians are not going to spend money without a return. They dont take the long view like DARPA does. Failure is an accepted option there.

I suggests you pick up a copy of, "The Pentagon's Brain: Uncensored History of DARPA..."

I know what they call it. I have spent all of my working life (more than half a century) in the defense industry and a great deal of that time at Wright Patterson working with DARPA.

When I say they have nothing like it I mean they have no organization that is allowed to do R&D and fail. It is a philosophical difference. The Russians are not going to spend money without a return. They dont take the long view like DARPA does. Failure is an accepted option there.

I suggests you pick up a copy of, "The Pentagon's Brain: Uncensored History of DARPA..."

Oh. Misunderstanding. You see, you had not said that.

The Russians have supposedly begun work on a new generation of nukes and deploying new deluvery systems. I cannot tell, if we need new ones. But it seems to make sense, unless I am missing something.

Re-responding to this post as our dialog on DARPA has regressed somewhat.

It is my opinion the Russians is doing what we are doing. By treaty we agreed to destroy a certain number of nuclear war heads. So many of each type. However neither country agreed to completely eliminate technological upgrades. What those upgrades will be is speculation (on my part) as I never had that kind of clearance. But one example I can think of is making war heads portable by platform such as ICBM, Cruise, Aircraft Smart, etc. Force Multiplication

Oh. Misunderstanding. You see, you had not said that.

"I know they don't have anything like it... no one does, no matter what they call it."

Back
Top Bottom