• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead Under Obama Adminstration

Sir Loin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It should come as no shock that the largest single campaign donation in 20 years, by a major oil company, made to a presidential candidate, was the one BP made to Obama during his election campaign. Nor to discover this little 'gem' via the NYT.

"In the days since President Obama announced a moratorium on permits for drilling new offshore oil wells and a halt to a controversial type of environmental waiver that was given to the Deepwater Horizon rig, at least seven new permits for various types of drilling and five environmental waivers have been granted, according to records.''

Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead - NYTimes.com

It goes without saying that if Bush were POTUS right now, we would be hearing fairly predictable commentary from left leaning quarters regarding conspiracy and that oh so big BP donation. Not so much though since it is "their boy" at the helm. But there sure has been plenty of post and threads here at DP about how blame for this should be placed upon Cheney/Bush and Halliburton. ;)

It should come as no shock that the largest single campaign donation in 20 years, by a major oil company, made to a presidential candidate, was the one BP made to Obama during his election campaign. Nor to discover this little 'gem' via the NYT.

"In the days since President Obama announced a moratorium on permits for drilling new offshore oil wells and a halt to a controversial type of environmental waiver that was given to the Deepwater Horizon rig, at least seven new permits for various types of drilling and five environmental waivers have been granted, according to records.''

It goes without saying that if Bush were POTUS right now, we would be hearing fairly predictable commentary from left leaning quarters regarding conspiracy and that oh so big BP donation. Not so much though since it is "their boy" at the helm. But there sure has been plenty of post and threads here at DP about how blame for this should be placed upon Cheney/Bush and Halliburton. ;)

now you see that, thats what's called partisanship, and as it is a leftist president you fellas have, the left are quiet, whilst the right are hurling accusations, and under bush the situation was reversed.

So Sarah is right again
JC_cheers.gif

Did you happen to read the part where these projects had started before the oil rig explosion?

now you see that, thats what's called partisanship, and as it is a leftist president you fellas have, the left are quiet, whilst the right are hurling accusations, and under bush the situation was reversed.
Uhm yeah, kinda my point.;) Partisanship has never prevented me from calling a spade a spade, but it does seem to prohibit most of the press and many proud left leaning DP members from doing so. We also now have a three week old request from Jindal and the state to allow building sand barriers along 90 miles of coast to help lessen the impact of the spill, just moldering away and going nowhere. Time of course is of the essence in a situation like this, IMO a POTUS should be doing what he can to speed such a plan through the morass of bureaucratic red tape. Wouldn't you agree?
Did you happen to read the part where these projects had started before the oil rig explosion?
Since it escaped you the first time, let me help you out Duece.

Do try to keep up with the actual OP and NYT quote in it.

Last edited:
Uhm yeah, kinda my point.;) Partisanship has never prevented me from calling a spade a spade, but it does seem to prohibit most of the press and many proud left leaning DP members from doing so. We also now have a three week old request from Jindal and the state to allow building sand barriers along 90 miles of coast to help lessen the impact of the spill, just moldering away and going nowhere. Time of course is of the essence in a situation like this, IMO a POTUS should be doing what he can to speed such a plan through the morass of bureaucratic red tape. Wouldn't you agree?

Since it escaped you the first time, let me help you out Duece.

Do try to keep up with the actual OP and NYT quote in it.

Asked about the permits and waivers, officials at the Department of the Interior and the Minerals Management Service, which regulates drilling, pointed to public statements by Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, reiterating that the agency had no intention of stopping all new oil and gas production in the gulf.

Department of the Interior officials said in a statement that the moratorium was meant only to halt permits for the drilling of new wells. It was not meant to stop permits for new work on existing drilling projects like the Deepwater Horizon.

Seems to me that they're doing what they said they'd do. Of course, I personally think they should stop even the existing projects but I'm not in charge of that.

Seems to me that they're doing what they said they'd do. Of course, I personally think they should stop even the existing projects but I'm not in charge of that.

Even before the Deepwater Horizon disaster, the use of environmental waivers was a source of concern. In September 2009, the Government Accountability Office released a report concluding that the waivers were being illegally granted to onshore drilling projects.

This month, the Interior Department announced plans to restrict the use of the waivers onshore, though not offshore. It also began a joint investigation of the offshore waiver process with the Council on Environmental Quality, an environmental arm of the White House.

The investigation, however, is likely to take months, and in the meantime the waivers are continuing to be issued. There is also a 60-day statute of limitations on contesting the waivers, which reduces the chances that they will be reversed if problems are found with the projects or the Obama administration’s review finds fault in the exemption process.
As stated, despite the moratorium, waivers are still being granted. That is one funky "special" kind of moratorium.;)

OK, the US Government has an incestuous relationship with big oil, the corruption crosses party lines. Bush AND Obama are a big part of the problem.

How is that for consistency and bi-partisanship.

Its time to move away from deep off-shore drilling as the government is clearly not in a position to monitor and big-oil does what big business does so well: exploit!

OK, the US Government has an incestuous relationship with big oil, the corruption crosses party lines. Bush AND Obama are a big part of the problem.

How is that for consistency and bi-partisanship.

Its time to move away from deep off-shore drilling as the government is clearly not in a position to monitor and big-oil does what big business does so well: exploit!
The US government makes as much if not more off "big oil" than does "big oil" and "big business" as you say. So why not include "big government" in your diagnosis? It sure is hard for posters thus far to just come out and call the situation what it is. So you are saying we will need to allow more onshore drilling then? As the necessity of oil is still upon us? Because couching arguments in "big oil" and "big business" are all about exploitation but giving a pass to "big government" does not get anybody anywhere.:wink:

is that your special way to admit you agree with the President?

I'll agree with the president, if he doesn't decide to shut down drilling in US waters.

I'll agree with the president, if he doesn't decide to shut down drilling in US waters.
I won't hold it against him, drilling for oil offshore is a necessary evil. However with situations like the plan to build offshore sand berms to collect the oil, the choice by the Obama administration to allow the situation to become bogged down in bureaucratic morass (lets face it, legal briefs and arguments are firing back and forth rather than action taken at a critical time) is inexcusable. I hope that Jindal and Louisiana do as they are now talking about, going ahead and getting the ball rolling without federal permission, as it is already three weeks past the initial query.

Here is an article about the situation, which IMO is chock full of examples of excuses and bureaucratic rationalizations for not taking this action. End of the day, excuses aside, it would have been far easier to clean up sand berms than wetlands, marshes and estuaries.:shock:

Sand barrier idea faces bureaucratic delays, ecological questions | NOLA.com

No Sarah has it right Obama does nothing because of the big oil money he takes
I don't know what Palin was on about and I don't agree, there is no "gain" or upside for Obama or anyone here. Instead, this debacle has become illustrative of many of the flaws detractors of Obama speak about. Also quite seriously, one of the negative side effects of the environmental movement is now at work here. We have a government bogged down in regulatory considerations and fear of legal reprisals which are forestalling actual meaningful ACTIONS that could be taken to stem the literal tide of damage that has resulted from this horrible accident.:soap

I don't know what Palin was on about and I don't agree, there is no "gain" or upside for Obama or anyone here. Instead, this debacle has become illustrative of many of the flaws detractors of Obama speak about. Also quite seriously, one of the negative side effects of the environmental movement is now at work here. We have a government bogged down in regulatory considerations and fear of legal reprisals which are forestalling actual meaningful ACTIONS that could be taken to stem the literal tide of damage that has resulted from this horrible accident.:soap

I don't know, it seems to me that when it suits Barry's agenda, things move right along.... sometimes way too fast. So beings the administration is moving so slow on this, I have to assume that is intentional and it fits their agenda.

Back
Top Bottom