• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Despite Few Details And Much Doubt, The Green New Deal Generates Enthusiasm

Media_Truth

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
It's good to see young people getting involved. I hope they don't get too discouraged when Corporate America starts flexing it's muscles.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/08/692508990/despite-few-details-and-much-doubt-the-green-new-deal-generates-enthusiasm

For a nonbinding resolution with an uncertain future, the Green New Deal is getting a lot of attention, along with a decidedly mixed reaction.

Dozens of Democrats on Thursday introduced the measure, an ambitious framework for future legislation designed to eliminate the U.S. carbon footprint by 2030.

Given the scope and ambitious nature of the Green New Deal, it might be tempting to criticize or dismiss activists supporting it. But Amy Myers Jaffe hopes older, more experienced policymakers won't do that.

"We need not to discourage them," she says. "They have an energy and will to innovation that is not only infectious, but inspiring."

And she says that could be what's needed to address a problem as daunting as climate change.

Under different circumstances, this would be worth discussing, but not at this time. Even with higher taxes, we won't be able to pay for it without causing rampant inflation.

Most of these peoples brains aren't fully developed yet. The younger generation has been brainwashed by liberal schools. I think the voting age should be changed to 30. Every voter should be drug tested. Every voter should be tested for a basic understanding of the issues. Do you ever wonder how Hillary, the worst candidate ever, won the popular vote? It's time we get quality voters and get rid of those who vote only because they want to see the first black President or the first women President.

It has certainly generated a lot of laughter, too.

It's good to see young people getting involved. I hope they don't get too discouraged when Corporate America starts flexing it's muscles.

Despite Few Details And Much Doubt, The Green New Deal Generates Enthusiasm : NPR

For a nonbinding resolution with an uncertain future, the Green New Deal is getting a lot of attention, along with a decidedly mixed reaction.

Dozens of Democrats on Thursday introduced the measure, an ambitious framework for future legislation designed to eliminate the U.S. carbon footprint by 2030.

Given the scope and ambitious nature of the Green New Deal, it might be tempting to criticize or dismiss activists supporting it. But Amy Myers Jaffe hopes older, more experienced policymakers won't do that.

"We need not to discourage them," she says. "They have an energy and will to innovation that is not only infectious, but inspiring."

And she says that could be what's needed to address a problem as daunting as climate change.

The naysayers will of course tell everyone it can't be done. I think what they are failing to recognize, today's younger generations are the ones dealing with all the gun violence in their schools. Politics is changing and it's about damn time. For a couple hundred years it's been about capitalism and money and money and money. The younger generations are seeing politics in much more of a social issue sorta' way. They aren't so willing to give the military unlimited bucks, they would rather see it go into doing something about climate change and gun control. I think within the next twenty years we will see a new direction for out country. A better direction where money does not top our social responsibilities to one another. The party on the right who claim to have all these 'values' it's all bullcrap, value to the right is ben franklin and no other god shall come in front of him.

Most of these peoples brains aren't fully developed yet. The younger generation has been brainwashed by liberal schools. I think the voting age should be changed to 30. Every voter should be drug tested. Every voter should be tested for a basic understanding of the issues. Do you ever wonder how Hillary, the worst candidate ever, won the popular vote? It's time we get quality voters and get rid of those who vote only because t
hey want to see the first black President or the first women President.

Hilary worst candidate ever?

Like her or not she was the most qualified person to ever run for president.

Just because the right has been conditioned to believe she is the anti Christ doesn't change that.

The naysayers will of course tell everyone it can't be done. I think what they are failing to recognize, today's younger generations are the ones dealing with all the gun violence in their schools. Politics is changing and it's about damn time. For a couple hundred years it's been about capitalism and money and money and money. The younger generations are seeing politics in much more of a social issue sorta' way. They aren't so willing to give the military unlimited bucks, they would rather see it go into doing something about climate change and gun control. I think within the next twenty years we will see a new direction for out country. A better direction where money does not top our social responsibilities to one another. The party on the right who claim to have all these 'values' it's all bullcrap, value to the right is ben franklin and no other god shall come in front of him.

You can just smell the changing tide in all the states that have and are legalizing marijuana.

We are losing the generation that believes reefer madness was a documentary a d they are being replaced by a generation that knows it was obviously a comedy...

You can just smell the changing tide in all the states that have and are legalizing marijuana.

We are losing the generation that believes reefer madness was a documentary a d they are being replaced by a generation that knows it was obviously a comedy...

The right would love to put us back into living in caves and shuddering from fear of god's anger for being this that or the other thing. I'm feeling the long era of oppression from the right lifting.

Most of these peoples brains aren't fully developed yet. The younger generation has been brainwashed by liberal schools. I think the voting age should be changed to 30. Every voter should be drug tested. Every voter should be tested for a basic understanding of the issues. Do you ever wonder how Hillary, the worst candidate ever, won the popular vote? It's time we get quality voters and get rid of those who vote only because they want to see the first black President or the first women President.
Sounds like someone's hasn't developed yet for sure

Reefer madness was stewed up by big corporatist interests. I use it to regulate digestive issues and help with sleep. I don't get high. I think it's absurd. The Fed ought to reschedule it.

Under different circumstances, this would be worth discussing, but not at this time. Even with higher taxes, we won't be able to pay for it without causing rampant inflation.

Just to keep things in perspective, the funds missing from the Pentagon, somewhere north of $21 Trillion, would pay for such things as healthcare and education and environmental improvement for quite a few years. That just what's been stolen. The amount of taxpayer dollars diverted to the fraud that is the GWOT is obscene.

We've been taught that this is a government of the people, for the people and by the people. If that is a legitimate purpose of government, why not now? What is inherently wrong with universal healthcare or education?

Just to keep things in perspective, the funds missing from the Pentagon, somewhere north of $21 Trillion, would pay for such things as healthcare and education and environmental improvement for quite a few years. That just what's been stolen. The amount of taxpayer dollars diverted to the fraud that is the GWOT is obscene.

We've been taught that this is a government of the people, for the people and by the people. If that is a legitimate purpose of government, why not now? What is inherently wrong with universal healthcare or education?

No problem with with universal healthcare or education. My problem with it is the Government creating the jobs. If the Government nationalized the beer industry, they couldn't make it for less than 100 bucks a six pack.

No problem with with universal healthcare or education. My problem with it is the Government creating the jobs. If the Government nationalized the beer industry, they couldn't make it for less than 100 bucks a six pack.

Well you're right about the beer thing, no doubt, but it seems to me that if the function of any given government employee is to actively serve and help 'the people', what's wrong with it?

They could appreciate making the Post Office a constitutional thing because it served the people and could be accomplished.

They could not imagine the country becoming so successful and the government so wealthy, because they simply could not know the future. No man can do that.

Point is that there is nothing wrong with government making life in general better for mankind. That is why governments are created, at least in theory.

Back
Top Bottom