• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DeSantis signs bill revoking Disney’s special self-governing status in Florida

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Disney may as well relocate to a more accomodating state. I would. Florida is too screwed up politically and Orlando is way too humid.

Disney may as well relocate to a more accomodating state. I would. Florida is too screwed up politically and Orlando is way too humid.
What I find really interesting is the lack of self-awareness among the conservatives who, in one breath, play at being first-amendment enthusiasts, for purposes of condemning Facebook and Twitter for fighting disinformation on their platforms, but then turn around and cheer DeSantis for abusing the powers of the state to punish a company for their leaders having criticized some legislation DeSantis supported. Obviously, a true first-amendment enthusiast would be much more alarmed by THE GOVERNMENT using its power to try to chill political speech, than they would about private forums tailoring the material on their platforms as part of honing their business model.

Of course!

Just forget the all the money invested in Florida?
Some where around 1. 3 billion.

Older appraisal

The Orange County Appraisers office, which includes all of Orlando, has appraised the Disney World property to be worth over 1.3 billion dollars in their 2011 estimate, as listed on Reference.com. Disney has significantly made money on the land alone and nearby hotels sprang up at an astounding rate to handle the swarms of Disney World park patrons.

They are not moving anywhere!!

What I find really interesting is the lack of self-awareness among the conservatives who, in one breath, play at being first-amendment enthusiasts, for purposes of condemning Facebook and Twitter for fighting disinformation on their platforms, but then turn around and cheer DeSantis for abusing the powers of the state to punish a company for their leaders having criticized some legislation DeSantis supported. Obviously, a true first-amendment enthusiast would be much more alarmed by THE GOVERNMENT using its power to try to chill political speech, than they would about private forums tailoring the material on their platforms as part of honing their business model.
They can say what ever they want but they will not have the sweetheart deal with Florida anymore.
If fact they can hold a press conference now. Go on Twitter or Face book and spill their guts. Many have been
banned on Twitter or Face book because of their conservative views. Everyone know that.

Babbling about chilling speech. You guys have been cheering it all-long.

I'm all for ending special concessions for all corporations, not just Disney, and not just in Florida.

The Koch Fascists need to control all ........otherwise they are screwed

In a nutshell! Thank you Mina for your concise observation.

They can say what ever they want but they will not have the sweetheart deal with Florida anymore.
If fact they can hold a press conference now. Go on Twitter or Face book and spill their guts. Many have been
banned on Twitter or Face book because of their conservative views. Everyone know that.

People have been banned on twitter and FB for violating TOS.

But here you are, cheering for governmental punishment of free speech.

Of course!

Just forget the all the money invested in Florida?
Some where around 1. 3 billion.

Older appraisal

The Orange County Appraisers office, which includes all of Orlando, has appraised the Disney World property to be worth over 1.3 billion dollars in their 2011 estimate, as listed on Reference.com. Disney has significantly made money on the land alone and nearby hotels sprang up at an astounding rate to handle the swarms of Disney World park patrons.

They are not moving anywhere!!

We'll see. I bet any state on the East Coast would just love to have them.

The hope, among alt-right politicians like DeSantis, is that if people expect the government to punish them economically when they say something the alt-right politicians don't want to be said, they'll censor themselves. That, obviously, is far more of a first-amendment concern than the content decisions of a private forum.

It's intriguing, watching leftists defend one of the largest corporations in the US.

It's intriguing, watching leftists defend one of the largest corporations in the US.
You misunderstand defending their right to voice their opinion versus the corporate opportunists they are.

I have a home very near Disney World....we never go to their rip off parks...but as much as I dislike Disney their right to freedom of expression must not be suppressed by the government ...it is fundamentally wrong to do so.

You misunderstand defending their right to voice their opinion versus the corporate opportunists they are.

I have a home very near Disney World....we never go to their rip off parks...but as much as I dislike Disney their right to freedom of expression must not be suppressed by the government ...it is fundamentally wrong to do so.
Well, that's what's so interesting about all this - the supposed fight for "freedom of expression" versus corporate advantages not enjoyed by any other major corporation in the state.

You're so myopic about your concerns du-juor that the bigger picture is completely lost on you - a picture that exposes the utter hypocrisy of your views in general.

Truth. Punitive legislation is the opposite of free speech. This may in fact be an actual first amendment violation.

Hypocrisy among Republicans. Who’da thunk it. 🙄

Many have been banned on Twitter or Face book because of their conservative views. Everyone know that.
Horse shit.

Name one person that has been banned on Twitter or Facebook simply because they expressed conservative views, and provide verifiable proof.

All Desantis cares about is increasing his national profile.

Why would he care about Florida when his goal is the WH…

Well, that's what's so interesting about all this - the supposed fight for "freedom of expression" versus corporate advantages not enjoyed by any other major corporation in the state.

Florida freely and willingly offered Disney many incentives to locate its proposed Disney World resort in Florida.

Don't blame Disney for accepting the offered incentives. And Florida reaps increased tourism due to attractions like Disney World.

Florida freely and willingly offered Disney many incentives to locate its proposed Disney World resort in Florida.

Don't blame Disney for accepting the offered incentives. And Florida reaps increased tourism due to attractions like Disney World.
Well this is true. Florida offered the incentives because they wanted Disney. I don't dispute that. Nor do I blame Disney for accepting the incentives.

....but at that time I also doubt that neither Florida nor Disney was imagining those incentives gave Disney carte blanche freedom to opine on the social mores - or politics of the day, let alone on those of the present day.

And when the recipient of special incentives back when thinks they're immune to any fallout for criticizing the entity who gave them those incentives today - well, Florida has proven them wrong.

Well this is true. Florida offered the incentives because they wanted Disney. I don't dispute that. Nor do I blame Disney for accepting the incentives.

....but at that time I also doubt that neither Florida nor Disney was imagining those incentives gave Disney carte blanche freedom to opine on the social mores - or politics of the day, let alone on those of the present day.

And when the recipient of special incentives back when thinks they're immune to any fallout for criticizing the entity who gave them those incentives today - well, Florida has proven them wrong.
Is it your opinion then that the government can punish businesses for expressing their political views?

20 million visitors a year. Almost half a million employees. Yeah, Florida is being screwed.

Back
Top Bottom