• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DeSantis signs bill requiring Florida students, professors to register political views with state

Plasmaball

Honest
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

So basically there a few things with this one.
DeSantis is using the arm of government to try to control colleges. Now he didn't say what the end result would be but they would be involved.

If you read further down we have barney bishop a lobbies for this bill saying he would like to see this further towards k through 12 because kids are being indoctrinated I guess and not being taught Christian values.

You know who else does this shit? The taliban.

Smaller government was a marketing strategy and nothing more

Republicans have accused liberals of using education to indoctrinate students (even though they don’t) So of course they’re going to use education to indoctrinate students when they are in power. It’s more projection

Maybe DeSantis will have student and professors wear red white or blue armbands to note their political leaning.

This is a nightmare that this is on our shore but “it can’t happen here”

Free speech! Free speech!

I wonder if Desantis supports the Supreme Court's decision about the teenage cheerleader?

Republicans are fascists. How much more proof of this do we need before we stop considering that an extreme statement. Republicans are fascists!

This nonsense they push about academia is simply a desire to stifle science. They especially hate social science. Anthropology finds out a lot of TRUTH about human interactions, and the findings very often are not pleasing to the corporate masters of the GOP.

I as a bilingual public school teacher in California was subject to a lot of pressure from the white racist side, which often included the Administration. If this were institutionalized, as DeSantis intends, it would amount to a gag order.

What is the desired end? To throw professors off the balconies, as the Nazis did in Austria?

Disgusting. Simply disgusting. I don't know how Conservatives rationalize this kind of crap away.
It's in the article...projection

DeSantis is using the arm of government to try to control colleges. Now he didn't say what the end result would be but they would be involved.

If you read further down we have barney bishop a lobbies for this bill saying he would like to see this further towards k through 12 because kids are being indoctrinated I guess and not being taught Christian values.

Indoctrination comes from the libs, education comes from the republicans. So, watch what you say they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal a fanatical criminal. Then they send you away teach you how to be sensible, logical, oh responsible, practical. And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable, oh clinical, oh intellectual, cynical. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable.

Join the republican party and you too can become logical.

Indoctrination comes from the libs, education comes from the republicans. So, watch what you say they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal a fanatical criminal. Then they send you away teach you how to be sensible, logical, oh responsible, practical. And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable, oh clinical, oh intellectual, cynical. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable.

Fascism is not logical, nor is insurrection, nor is support for a perverted psychotic semi-literate orange dictator.

Your rhetoric is just so much slobber.

I a genuinely educated person know for a fact you're full of dooky.

Fascism is not logical, nor is insurrection, nor is support for a perverted psychotic semi-literate orange dictator.

Your rhetoric is just so much slobber.

I a genuinely educated person know for a fact you're full of dooky.
I believe you might be correct. I have not had a bowel movement this morning.

Like teaching the election was stolen, that there is a conspiracy to replace white people with immigrants of color, that racism has no role in American history. Very educational, Republicans.

Something like 18% of college professors are avowed Marxists.
Don't fire them. Just tell the kids who they are, and require them to teach the students about the abject and total failure of that political philosophy.
Is that too much to ask?

More freedumb.

LOL ****, now you have that song stuck in my head......

Don't see how this would stand up to a court challenge, it's a ludicrous idea to begin with

Don't fire them. Just tell the kids who they are, and require them to teach the students about the abject and total failure of that political philosophy.
Is that too much to ask?
Yes.
You guys are all about slippery slopes, what happens next? 22% (just picked that number out of the air) of professors are atheists. Now what?

Just tell the kids who they are, and require them to teach the students about the abject and total failure of that political philosophy.
You must be referring to the news from yesterday...

Is that too much to ask?
What a ridiculous statement. The right makes it sound like all these professors do each and every day is pound all the ism's into the heads of the students. Same with the critical race thingy, god forbid we actually go into a little bit of depth about slavery and white privilege instead of dusting over it by saying well that was a long time ago. Yeah it was, slavery is gone, racism isn't.

I'm a boomer and distinctively remember being taught about slavery and it's evils in school. That was in the 1960s.
And also about the evils of communism.

Phony article headline. The bill he signed doesn't require anybody to register anything, or even respond to a survey, let alone one that asks about political beliefs. Here's what it actually says:

"The State Board of Education shall select or create an objective, nonpartisan, and statistically valid survey to be used by each institution which considers the extent to which competing ideas and perspectives are presented and members of the college community, including students, faculty, and staff, feel free to express their beliefs and viewpoints on campus and in the classroom."

Phony article headline. The bill he signed doesn't require anybody to register anything, or even respond to a survey, let alone one that asks about political beliefs. Here's what it actually says:

"The State Board of Education shall select or create an objective, nonpartisan, and statistically valid survey to be used by each institution which considers the extent to which competing ideas and perspectives are presented and members of the college community, including students, faculty, and staff, feel free to express their beliefs and viewpoints on campus and in the classroom."
Though the bill does not specify what the survey results will be used for, both DeSantis and Rodrigues suggested that the state could institute budget cuts if university students and staff do not respond in a satisfactory manner.

Don't be lazy..

Though the bill does not specify what the survey results will be used for, both DeSantis and Rodrigues suggested that the state could institute budget cuts if university students and staff do not respond in a satisfactory manner.

Don't be lazy..

The state could institute budget cuts whenever it wants, new law or not. Don't be dumb.

The law requires universities to conduct a survey of whether the students and faculty believe that competing ideas are being presented, and whether students and staff feel free to express their beliefs and viewpoints. If the survey comes back indicating that students and staff DON'T believe that competing ideas are being presented, or that they are being punished for expressing their beliefs and viewpoints, don't you think that's something that should be corrected?

Only MAGA apparel will be allowed on campus.
Well, we all know DeSantis is a Trump dick licker.

He, not a peoples Governor like Jeb Bush was, he's all about politics.

This is the same guy who lowered State Flags to Half Mast for the fat, drug addicted, cigarette, cigar smoking blowhard Rush Limbaugh ..who died age 70 from lung cancer.

Back
Top Bottom