• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DeSantis signs bill creating new Florida election police force

Loulit01

What We've Got Here is a Failure to Communicate
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Trump won the Sunshine State by a comfortable margin that year, and Florida officials, including DeSantis, previously have said the 2020 election went smoothly.

Election fraud is exceedingly rare. The Florida Secretary of State’s office says it received 262 election fraud complaints about the 2020 election and referred 75 to law enforcement or prosecutors. Nearly 11 million Floridians cast ballots in the presidential contest that year.

The new law creates an Office of Election Crimes and Security within the Florida Department of State – an agency under DeSantis’ jurisdiction – with a staff of 15 to conduct preliminary investigations of election fraud. In addition, the measure calls for DeSantis to appoint up to 10 law enforcement officers to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to investigate election crimes.

The only question is whether they'll wear brown shirts literally or just metaphorically.

He does not seem to realize that we already police elections and that the people usually caught in the last several years have been Trumpists. Ah well...

🤷

Flippancy aside, it will no doubt be a disenfranchisement force, aimed at left-lean voters. They'll go after some poor old grandma who moved from one facility for another but accidentally voted in the district of the first, but they'll let some triple-voting Trumpist go unprosecuted because he was understandably malfunctioning after his six day meth binge (this being Florida and all)

He does not seem to realize that we already police elections and that the people usually caught in the last several years have been Trumpists. Ah well...

🤷

Flippancy aside, it will no doubt be a disenfranchisement force, aimed at left-lean voters. They'll go after some poor old grandma who moved from one facility for another but accidentally voted in the district of the first, but they'll let some triple-voting Trumpist go unprosecuted because he was understandably malfunctioning after his six day meth binge (this being Florida and all)
These people are there to ensure that every single election is fairly found to be a GOP win.

Every state should have such an office.

Corrupt elections, of course, are as American as apple pie.

Many observers agree that the 1960 Presidential election, for example, was decided by crooks in Illinois and Texas.

And, of course, no one disputes that dirty elections were a given in older Chicago.

One of our Presidents in the 19th century was even referred to as "His Fraudulency."

🤷

Yeah, we did a hell of a job in 2020. :rolleyes: Constitutionally conduct of elections are a state responsibility and DeSantis is taking it seriously.

Trump won the Sunshine State by a comfortable margin that year, and Florida officials, including DeSantis, previously have said the 2020 election went smoothly.

Election fraud is exceedingly rare. The Florida Secretary of State’s office says it received 262 election fraud complaints about the 2020 election and referred 75 to law enforcement or prosecutors. Nearly 11 million Floridians cast ballots in the presidential contest that year.

The new law creates an Office of Election Crimes and Security within the Florida Department of State – an agency under DeSantis’ jurisdiction – with a staff of 15 to conduct preliminary investigations of election fraud. In addition, the measure calls for DeSantis to appoint up to 10 law enforcement officers to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to investigate election crimes.

The only question is whether they'll wear brown shirts literally or just metaphorically.

Straight-up, there was nothing in the article that was untoward IMO. In fact DeSantis strengthened the law against what occurred when Republicans were switching Dems to their party without the Dem's knowledge.

Now it's possible there's things the article missed. But if there was something funky in the bill, I'd suspect CNN would have found it.

I see this and think to myself...What could go wrong? Can't wait to see the videos of people misbehaving in line and the reactions of this police force.

Yeah, we did a hell of a job in 2020. :rolleyes: Constitutionally conduct of elections are a state responsibility and DeSantis is taking it seriously.

You believe in election fraud despite a lack of evidence.
You're not one to take seriously regarding this topic.

Election Police -- something that just reeks of fascism.

That's what the Secretary of State is for. This is overkill.

Seems like kush job, being paid to "keep the peace" in a peaceful town. I envision Andy Taylor and Barney Fife.... they can spend the day at Floyd's collecting their salaries. Don't forget where you put your bullet, Barney.

When do the Florida (and Texas) taxpayers, they are suppose to hate government waste, going to rebel at all this government wasted spending that exists only to prop up the governor's political ambition? Texas and Florida are states with populations that are largely fools.

I dont know I live in Florida right now. I’ll let you know which when I go vote with a picture of whoever the most left leaning candidate at the time is on my shirt.

African-Americans, who have a historically marvelous relationship with police, are, I'm sure, delighted by the prospect of cops looming around their polls, looking for suspicious voters.

Many observers agree that the 1960 Presidential election, for example, was decided by crooks in Illinois and Texas.

And, of course, no one disputes that dirty elections were a given in older Chicago.

One of our Presidents in the 19th century was even referred to as "His Fraudulency."

The bolded Chicago example might possibly be a counter-claim to your argument, though.

Back then, every Chicago polling place had a uniformed copper on the premises on election day. It was his job to maintain order and decide any 'physical' or 'people' issues. This was before the "Shakman Decrees", when patronage was still legal.

The coppers were vested Dem Party members, active in the party & ward organizations, and many had gotten their jobs through their local ward office. They often were precinct captains, too, and if not they were still usually active politically in the ward. It went with being a city worker back then. All the jobs came through your ward office committeeman.

So there is a real danger to establishing this police force, if it were to be politicized. And given this is Trump's & DeSantis' home state, for some of us it's not much of a reach to believe it could occur.

This is very obviously an attempt to alter elections.

Seems like kush job, being paid to "keep the peace" in a peaceful town. I envision Andy Taylor and Barney Fife.... they can spend the day at Floyd's collecting their salaries. Don't forget where you put your bullet, Barney.

When do the Florida (and Texas) taxpayers, they are suppose to hate government waste, going to rebel at all this government wasted spending that exists only to prop up the governor's political ambition? Texas and Florida are states with populations that are largely fools.

If it becomes a slacker job, that's the best of our problem. The real danger is if the unit becomes politicized.

Given this is Trump's & DeSantis' home state, and they politicize everything, I have my concerns.

If it becomes a slacker job, that's the best of our problem. The real danger is if the unit becomes politicized.

Given this is Trump's & DeSantis' home state, and they politicize everything, I have my concerns.
I agree with that.... I am just poking "fun" at the fact they they now have a department to police a problem that does not exist..... This does lend itself to a group of people that create problems. The brown shirt analogy is quite apt.

I dont know I live in Florida right now. I’ll let you know which when I go vote with a picture of whoever the most left leaning candidate at the time is on my shirt.
They will not even let you into the polling place with a political shirt or hat, at least that was the case when I lived there.

The bolded Chicago example might possibly be a counter-claim to your argument, though.

Back then, every Chicago polling place had a uniformed copper on the premises on election day. It was his job to maintain order and decide any 'physical' or 'people' issues. This was before the "Shakman Decrees", when patronage was still legal.

The coppers were vested Dem Party members, active in the party & ward organizations, and many had gotten their jobs through their local ward office. They often were precinct captains, too, and if not they were still usually active politically in the ward. It went with being a city worker back then. All the jobs came through your ward office committeeman.

So there is a real danger to establishing this police force, if it were to be politicized. And given this is Trump's & DeSantis' home state, for some of us it's not much of a reach to believe it could occur.

You put it better than I would have. I would probably have quipped along the lines of: "did you really just cite the way Chicago PD used to be in support of an argument that is bad right now?"

It the claim was already absurd enough. Law enforcement already investigates this. There simply is not much voter fraud because the crime really does not pay. A bank robbery might....if you get away and never test your luck again. But voting twice? Thrice? A fart in the wind and up to 5 years in jail federally (I....think?). Either way, the penalty is no joke and there's virtually no gain.

But I did like how pointing out that Chicago used to be this way helps.

They will not even let you into the polling place with a political shirt or hat, at least that was the case when I lived there.
I looked it up and apparently it varies state by state. Good to know.

He's got his brownshirts. He may not be too pleased with the arm bands.

1650928834574.png

African-Americans, who have a historically marvelous relationship with police, are, I'm sure, delighted by the prospect of cops looming around their polls, looking for suspicious voters.
So don’t be suspicious.

I’m sure the Election Police will enforce the crime of Voting While Black.

Back
Top Bottom