• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DeSantis, Lara Trump, Grennell, Chaffetz and more

gbg3

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Already, future elections (and GOP candidates) taking shape. DeSantis suddenly looking interesting for a 2024 presidential candidate (adding to a number of others). Lara certainly looking interesting for taking over Burr's seat in 2022. Grennell looking at the CA governor position. Chaffetz thinking of challenging Romney in 24. I think there are others I've heard about in recent days that I'm forgetting.

Already, future elections (and GOP candidates) taking shape. DeSantis suddenly looking interesting for a 2024 presidential candidate (adding to a number of others). Lara certainly looking interesting for taking over Burr's seat in 2022. Grennell looking at the CA governor position. Chaffetz thinking of challenging Romney in 24. I think there are others I've heard about in recent days that I'm forgetting.
Grenell in CA would be a waste of money, time and effort.

Then, there's the potential of Trump himself. This from U.S. News today.

"A new Morning Consult poll found that a majority of Republican voters, 54%, said they would support the former president in a hypothetical 2024 presidential primary election – the same percentage from November.

Trump's support has recovered in the most recent poll after falling to 42% in a January poll following a deadly riot at the Capitol, an event that prompted the second impeachment trial.

Conversely, former Vice President Mike Pence's support did the opposite. In a November poll, Pence had support from 12% of Republicans. That increased to 16% in the January poll, when Trump's slipped, and then declined to 12% again in the most recent survey."

Grenell in CA would be a waste of money, time and effort.

Why?

Personally, I think former mayor Republican Kevn Faulconer would have a better shot in the CA primaries.

I have to admit that I, like many others, am paying attention to DeSantis right now. I didn't know anything about him prior to him becoming governor but each time he's interviewed lately, which is often, I stop what I'm doing to watch and listen. I'm looking forward to learning more about his views beyond his handling of covid in Florida.

"A new Morning Consult poll found that a majority of Republican voters, 54%, said they would support the former president in a hypothetical 2024 presidential primary election – the same percentage from November.

Trump's support has recovered in the most recent poll after falling to 42% in a January poll following a deadly riot at the Capitol, an event that prompted the second impeachment trial.

Except Republican registrations have dropped 6% since January 6th so it is the same percentage of a smaller number. Independent registrations have increased so it would be interesting to see what % of Independents support Trump as a primary candidate.

Why?

Personally, I think former mayor Republican Kevn Faulconer would have a better shot in the CA primaries.
Grenell is too closely tied to 45's foreign policy efforts and the LGBT community here has no love for him whatsoever. Faulconer endorsed Rubio for President. He's not 45 enough for the majority of CA r's.

This article is most focused on how many Republicans want Trump to play a major role in the party going forward.
No doubt, but the more important question , in terms of a National election, is....how many Americans are Republican? Seems an ever shrinking number. I would love to see Trump in charge of a minority party. It would guarantee it stayed that way.

Grenell is too closely tied to 45's foreign policy efforts and the LGBT community here has no love for him whatsoever. Faulconer endorsed Rubio for President. He's not 45 enough for the majority of CA r's.

Then who in your educated opinion will face the Democratic candidate? And who do you think that Democratic candidate for governor will be? (and it probably won't be Newsom).

No doubt, but the more important question , in terms of a National election, is....how many Americans are Republican? Seems an ever shrinking number. I would love to see Trump in charge of a minority party. It would guarantee it stayed that way.
Policy matters to a lot of people. We'll see how Joe's policies (or Kamala's should Joe not serve out his term) impact America and impact/influence voters over the next 2-4 years. Trump clearly continues to play a big role in the minds of voters (for him and against him), but Joe's decisions are what will determine the upcoming Dem future. 2022 will be ALL about Joe's policies!

Joe's decisions are what will determine the upcoming Dem future. 2022 will be ALL about Joe's policies
Agree for 2022 but my comments were about 2024 and the Presidential primaries referenced by you .

So let me get this straight...

Coumo might have fudged NY Covid-19 numbers and people, INCLUDING some Democrats want him held accountable...

DeSantis has lied about Florida's Covid-19 numbers since Day 1. He fired people who wanted to tell the truth about Florida's numbers, they even raided 1 woman's home...

Yep, and Republicans want DeSantis as their presidential nominee.. They want him as the leader of their party...

That sums up the current Republican Party.. And when people say there is no difference between the 2 parties those people are full of shit..

Then who in your educated opinion will face the Democratic candidate? And who do you think that Democratic candidate for governor will be? (and it probably won't be Newsom).
It will be Newsom. R's are not competitive statewide, and no R Californian has shown anything close to a reach out philosophy.

Except Republican registrations have dropped 6% since January 6th so it is the same percentage of a smaller number. Independent registrations have increased so it would be interesting to see what % of Independents support Trump as a primary candidate.

6% where? Source please.

Trump won't be running for prez again.

You do know that nearly half the states don't register party affiliation.

Kind of an interesting article about Haley. Personally, I think she's blown it in terms of her potential hope to become president - for some of the reasons discussed in this article. Two years ago, she was high on my list of hopefuls. But over that time, she's gradually moved to low on my list of favorites.

Is Nikki Haley morphing into a presidency-losing Mitt Romney? (msn.com)

If she becomes the nominee I think she wins the National against Harris.....unless of course the Biden administration proves hugely successful. The big " if" is...if she becomes the nominee.

Back
Top Bottom