• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DeSantis: Florida will need help making ends meet

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Tuesday said the state will need help covering costs associated with the coronavirus outbreak, expressing confidence that the federal government will help pick up the tab for increased Medicaid outlays.
And the state might have to borrow to deliver a $400 weekly benefit to unemployed workers that President Donald Trump mandated in an Aug. 8 executive order, he said.
In an interview at his office in the state Capitol, DeSantis said he expects federal stimulus funding to be extended through the end of the state's fiscal year on June 30.

“We think that they're going to continue that as long as there's a state of emergency,” DeSantis said. "If we didn't have that, then we'd have to do more in [general revenue].”
Source: (Politico) DeSantis: Florida will need help making ends meet

Hello, what's this? DeSantis' Covid mismanagement has put the state into debt? They can't pay the 25% unemployment match? And he will need emergency funds through next June?

Interesting stuff. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Not a ****ing dime from ANY blue state.
That's how TRUMP PLAYS that gambit, so it's time to play it the other way around.

Good, the more red state governors start making waves about their budgets tanking, the sooner we can get the stimulus passed.

That's how TRUMP PLAYS that gambit, so it's time to play it the other way around.
You know Trump cut the coronovirus national guard re-reimbursement to all states, but FL & TX?

Yes, that's how he plays the game. I've been saying the guvs should threaten to stop kicking money up to the feds, too. Starve him out.

Source: (Politico) DeSantis: Florida will need help making ends meet

Hello, what's this? DeSantis' Covid mismanagement has put the state into debt? They can't pay the 25% unemployment match? And he will need emergency funds through next June?

Interesting stuff. I'm not sure what to make of it.
I saw this coming from a mile away. As soon as Trump said he would pay 100% of thr costs for some states, I knew Florida would be in the front of the line. Trump gives us everything we ask for. He likes our state best, lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I saw this coming from a mile away. As soon as Trump said he would pay 100% of thr costs for some states, I knew Florida would be in the front of the line. Trump gives us everything we ask for. He likes our state best, lol

It would seem so ...

He has one of his chosen toadies as governor. Of course he would.

I really hope your wrong. Help should not be based on red or blue. Whatever the guideline is, it must be nonpartisan

I am by no means endorsing it but I have noticed he takes very good care of my state

Yeah, I know Trouble. Not beating on you ...

Cuomo was saying the same thing a few months ago. Sadly everyone has mismanaged this greatly in the US.
Besides Cuomo's bad call with the nursing homes, he did a pretty damn good job. But there was no reason for TX, FL, GA, AZ, and yes CA, to come out of the lock-down and mismanage it. Not when they saw what happened to us Northern cities early-on.

Besides Cuomo's bad call with the nursing homes, he did a pretty damn good job. But there was no reason for TX, FL, GA, AZ, and yes CA, to come out of the lock-down and mismanage it. Not when they saw what happened to us Northern cities early-on.

CA was weird. I just moved here at the end of last year so almost my entire experience has been dealing with this. We shut down early and then basically everyone got impatient and opened too soon and had to shut down again. Obviously businesses are hurting, but government should be able to help them out while we try to not kill everyone around us.

NY's doing excellently. And MI is holding their own. Everyone got hit early-on due to Trump's mismanagement, but after the lock-down there was no reason for those states to arrogantly mismanage.

Did you read the article I linked? Doesn't sound like they can afford the 25% either.

CA was weird. I just moved here at the end of last year so almost my entire experience has been dealing with this. We shut down early and then basically everyone got impatient and opened too soon and had to shut down again. Obviously businesses are hurting, but government should be able to help them out while we try to not kill everyone around us.
My gut feeling, is that it wasn't as much Newsom as Californians' lack of compliance (no disrespect intended). California did so much right so early. It shouldn't have happened. It seems an anomaly, of sorts.

Did you read the article I linked? Doesn't sound like they can afford the 25% either.
Sorry. I didn't, and was thinking in terms of pandemic response.

But yeah, in economic terms every state is in debt and has a budget crisis. They range from 26-50% in revenue reductions due to Covid. It's a real mess!

My gut feeling, is that it wasn't as much Newsom as Californians' lack of compliance (no disrespect intended). California did so much right so early. It shouldn't have happened. It seems an anomaly, of sorts.

Yea, somewhat. Places around here were allowed to reopen such as restaurants, and while masks were supposed to be worn, there was really no enforcement.

Last edited:
Yea, somewhat. Places around here were allowed to reopen such as restaurants, and while masks were supposed to be warn, there was really no enforcement.
I know what those of us in large metro areas back here went thru. Streets were deserted, everyone wore masks, and the fear was obvious & palpable.

But every time I saw video of California, everyone was running around on the beach or boardwalk, hanging in restaurants, etc., having a ball. With most not wearing masks. It was such a juxtaposition to the buttoned-up city I was in.

I think you may want to look at the data and see if it confirms your thoughts. Florida has cut their daily number of new infections in half in the last month. California is working on new all time highs. Florida has a classic peak and massive fall- California is still climbing.

Just interesting to see if your thoughts change after reviewing the data . (I use worldometer for their excellent graph charts)

I really hope your wrong. Help should not be based on red or blue. Whatever the guideline is, it must be nonpartisan

For as long as Republicans have held power in either chamber of Congress OR the White House, that is how THEY have played the game.
Words fail to describe just how much I want this year's hurricane, tornado and flood season to become an object lesson to red states WHY they should never allow Republicans to do this. It hasn't been nonpartisan since Gingrich.

They don't just PLAY the game, they do it openly, proudly and with a sense of impunity.
They desperately need to be forced to taste some of their own medicine in a way that guarantees they will never even consider doing it again...not to blue states, not to blue cities, not to any state, county, city, town or territory.

Sorry but every other method to discourage this cruel and sadistic nonsense has been tried.
It has come down to the fact that the only thing they understand is an eye for eye and a tooth for a tooth.

I know what those of us in large metro areas back here went thru. Streets were deserted, everyone wore masks, and the fear was obvious & palpable.

But every time I saw video of California, everyone was running around on the beach or boardwalk, hanging in restaurants, etc., having a ball. With most not wearing masks. It was such a juxtaposition to the buttoned-up city I was in.

Depends....down in Orange County, like San Clemente or Huntington Beach, yep...not only no masks but open hostility and loud references to CT's about the virus.
Go about fifteen miles up North to Venice Beach and there were plenty of masks.

Well when you have Trump and others saying that help shouldn't go to states which have mismanaged their finances, how should one consider a state which didn't calculate what a pandemic surge would mean to their ability to fund mitigate it?

Back
Top Bottom