• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DeSantis: Florida will need help making ends meet

I really hope your wrong. Help should not be based on red or blue. Whatever the guideline is, it must be nonpartisan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That ship sailed long ago.

Very cool. Just moved here last year. Can't wait to be able to explore the area once the virus settles down. Guess I picked a bad time to move to one of the most expensive areas of the country... :lamo :doh

Takes at least a year or two to get a handle on what Southern California really is.
What it really is, is a mish-mash of hundreds of little communities all stuck together.
The thing I like is the fact that you can have winter, summer, spring or fall any time you want all within a two to five hour drive.
Beaches, mountains, jungles, wetlands, urban cityscapes, forests or deserts all within a day's drive.

By the way, the suburbs of Nashville, TN just blew past LA County in terms of average home prices.
I haven't the foggiest idea why but I just saw a plain old ordinary 3 BR 1BA 1300 SF home in Mount Juliet for 838 thousand bucks, with a similar home here in LA for about 550 thousand.

Very cool. Just moved here last year. Can't wait to be able to explore the area once the virus settles down. Guess I picked a bad time to move to one of the most expensive areas of the country... :lamo :doh

I know it sounds morbid but home prices in LA County are going to drop as a result of this pandemic.
Stay tuned for good deals.

Yes. just like Calif and NY did?
Early-on as this thing caught the states unawares due to no federal protections or head's-up, some states like N.Y. etc. got hit hard. But the national shutdown ameliorated much of that. But what happened next in California and the Southern states was uncalled for, and self-inflicted. And now we suffer further, while most of our peer nations have moved much further down the road to normalcy.

It is possible that Florida takes Covid 19 much more seriously at this point in time than California does. The numbers would support that. Perhaps it is the governors in the respective states, or perhaps it is, as you mentioned, the people who reside there. Maybe a mix of both. It is an interesting question.
California surprised me, because Newsom seemed to act quickly & reasonably.

I know it sounds morbid but home prices in LA County are going to drop as a result of this pandemic.
Stay tuned for good deals.

Yea, it makes me feel bad cause a lot of people will either no longer be living in the home due to death, or they can't afford them anymore.

Me too. Was completely taken aback. I'm very hopeful that they'll turn things around soon. What I don't know is what more the local government there could do; beaches were closed, mask orders in place, etc. If pressed I wouldn't have any positive suggestions for California, because I thought that they were already doing almost everything short of total shutdown.

I'm very glad smarter people than I are addressing the problem.

Me too. Was completely taken aback. I'm very hopeful that they'll turn things around soon. What I don't know is what more the local government there could do; beaches were closed, mask orders in place, etc. If pressed I wouldn't have any positive suggestions for California, because I thought that they were already doing almost everything short of total shutdown.

I'm very glad smarter people than I are addressing the problem.
To the bolded: Put some teeth into the orders.

That's what worked in my city. Not perfectly. But, it got the scofflaws' attention! Increasing fines, with the third offense upgrade-able to a misdemeanor - liable to time in the pokey.

Source: (Politico) DeSantis: Florida will need help making ends meet

Hello, what's this? DeSantis' Covid mismanagement has put the state into debt? They can't pay the 25% unemployment match? And he will need emergency funds through next June?

Interesting stuff. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Why would you think this is a mismanagement issue? Because hes a Republican? Florida has done better than many states who had much worse mandates and many more deaths. And thats with people from those states fleeing to Florida. Our economic issues are a result of natural forces no one has any control over coupled with our national addiction to govt dependence. We dont need emergency funds, we need to spend less on things we dont need, like every state.

It seems pretty unfair to blast Florida for being Republican when the two most democratic states have done far worse.

Good, the more red state governors start making waves about their budgets tanking, the sooner we can get the stimulus passed.

Nancy put the House in recess for a month after refusing to negotiate. Not going to happen

We had good weather - memorial day, july 4th and graduations.............people got stupid. It is getting better in most areas. But labor day is coming. I am praying for torrential downpours for the entire labor day weekend.

Why would you think this is a mismanagement issue?
Because it is mismanaged. He turned his state from a state that early-on had a relatively easy time in terms of the American experience, to a complete disaster. Unnecessarily, I might add.

Because hes a Republican? Florida has done better than many states who had much worse mandates and many more deaths. And thats with people from those states fleeing to Florida. Our economic issues are a result of natural forces no one has any control over coupled with our national addiction to govt dependence. We dont need emergency funds, we need to spend less on things we dont need, like every state.

It seems pretty unfair to blast Florida for being Republican when the two most democratic states have done far worse.
That (bolded) seems to be a big part of it. The problem seems to be predominately with the Trump Republicans.

Scamdemic is the word, all the way. It is so obvious. Or plandemic. :lol:

It is possible that Florida takes Covid 19 much more seriously at this point in time than California does. The numbers would support that. Perhaps it is the governors in the respective states, or perhaps it is, as you mentioned, the people who reside there. Maybe a mix of both. It is an interesting question.

Maybe not. There were 8000 cases dumped into the database today , because they were not reported before, even though some of the tests were from 7 weeks ago.

That makes their reporting mechanisms incompetent, and I wouldn't trust the numbers out of that state when it come sot new infections.

Back
Top Bottom