• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Derek Chauvin trial livestream and discussion

ASHES

An Uncertain Person
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I will be watching the trial live here, although probably not going into as much detail as I did in jury selection. The main issue to be decided at trial is cause of death. If the jury determines Chauvin did in fact cause the death, then they have to decide if he is criminally liable.

Live stream:
Link to live stream

Or

Starts at 9am ET.

I hear newscasters outside the courthouse doing their intro segments on the trial.

My secret to watching trials and commenting on them:
tenor.gif

I can see the defense now.

Defense: "My client puts his knee on suspects' necks for 10+ minutes all the time and they usually don't die."
That is a defense. It was an excessive use of an approved technique, which I heard he was prone to do, and nobody ever died any other time he did it. It certainly goes to show it wasn't his intent to kill Floyd.

First juror (PJ2): white male chemist that prefers Black Lives Matter over Blue Lives Matter, hadn't heard many details of the case before he got the questionnaire

Second Juror (PJ9): multiracial female with diabetes who was very excited to serve as a juror on this case, thinks BLM and BLM have been co-opted as corporate marketing ploys

Third Juror(PJ19): white male with somewhat negative opinion of Chauvin but positive image of police in general, has a friend in MPD he hasn't discussed the case with

Fourth Juror (PJ27): black male immigrant, that has lived in Minnesota for 14 years and works in tech support, police in his neighborhood makes him feel safe

Fifth Juror (PJ44): white female, mother of 2 teenagers, negative opinion of Chauvin, works in the health care system for a social nonprofit

Sixth Juror: (PJ52): black man in his 30s, coaches youth basketball, likes to write, has a neutral opinion of Mr. Floyd and Mr. Chauvin, and can be impartial

Seventh Juror (PJ55): white widow in her 50's, rides a motorcycle in spirit with her late husband, was disturbed by the video and didn't watch the entirety, says she presumes Mr. Chauvin is innocent and can be impartial

Eighth Juror (PJ79): black male immigrant lived in the area 20 years, is a manager, in favour of BLM, BLM and ALM. Police in his community make him feel safe, and he can be impartial

Ninth Juror (PJ85): multiracial married mother, corporate professional, negative view of Chauvin. No knowledge about Floyd or Chauvin's histories, can put aside the disgusting video and remain impartial

Tenth Juror (PJ89): white female nurse, lives alone, been at the job a long time, mostly neutral opinions on the case, generally positive opinion on police, can be impartial in this case

Eleventh Juror (PJ91): retired, married, black grandmother, volunteers with kids, has degree in child psychology, positive view of police in general, positive view of BLM, can be impartial

Twelfth Juror (PJ92): white female insurance manager, very family and friend oriented and loves her work, thinks poc are discriminated against in the justice system, can be impartial

First Alternate Juror (PJ96): white female homeless/low income housing advocate and volunteer, recently resigned a customer service job. Not sure if she wants to be on the jury, somewhat favourable opinion of BLM and BLM

Second Alternate Juror (PJ118): white female social worker, was recently married and got a puppy, has a widely ranging opinion of Chauvin, neutral opinion of Floyd, supports the police because they help her with her job, and says she can be fair and impartial

Third Alternate Juror (PJ131): white married man, accountant, doesn't like anthem kneeling, but prefers BLM to Blue Lives Matter. Says he can put aside all his previously held opinions and be impartial.

That is a defense. It was an excessive use of an approved technique, which I heard he was prone to do, and nobody ever died any other time he did it. It certainly goes to show it wasn't his intent to kill Floyd.
It's a bit like saying you shoot innocent people all the time and they usually don't die. It's an overtly fatal tactic and if it just so happened to not kill anyone before, the intention is still clear. If this had been a single officer and he did it for 1-2 minutes, that'd be a lot different than 4 officers vs 1 man and they do it for 10 minutes. Completely and totally unnecessary. They could've just handcuffed him and put him in the car, they chose not to for no rational or explainable reason.

George Floyd's family is outside the court calling this case a referendum on race. It isn't really though, it's about if the actions of Chauvin did in fact cause the death of Floyd.

It's a bit like saying you shoot innocent people all the time and they usually don't die. It's an overtly fatal tactic and if it just so happened to not kill anyone before, the intention is still clear. If this had been a single officer and he did it for 1-2 minutes, that'd be a lot different than 4 officers vs 1 man and they do it for 10 minutes. Completely and totally unnecessary. They could've just handcuffed him and put him in the car, they chose not to for no rational or explainable reason.
Shooting innocent people isn't in the MPD training manual (insert police brutality joke here.) They tried putting him in the car, he didn't want to be there so they took him out and were waiting with him restrained for EMTs to arrive.

Shooting innocent people isn't in the MPD training manual (insert police brutality joke here.) They tried putting him in the car, he didn't want to be there so they took him out and were waiting with him restrained for EMTs to arrive.
"He didn't want to be in the car, so they took him out and put their knee on his neck for 10 minutes." Totally irrational. Nobody ever WANTS to be in the back of a police car, so that rationale makes no sense whatsoever.

"He didn't want to be in the car, so they took him out and put their knee on his neck for 10 minutes." Totally irrational. Nobody ever WANTS to be in the back of a police car, so that rationale makes no sense whatsoever.
You should watch the rest of the videos if you think keeping him in the car would have been a good idea.

Family misstated the cause of death as asphyxiation. The 2nd autopsy (the one the state is using to prosecute Chauvin), shows he died of cardiopulmonary arrest, not asphyxiation.

That is why none of his charges are first degree, but murder is murder. All the judge and jury need to know is, "If Derek Chauvin never did it, would George Floyd still be alive on May 26?"

That is why none of his charges are first degree, but murder is murder. All the judge and jury need to know is, "If Derek Chauvin never did it, would George Floyd still be alive on May 26?
I would say if he hadn't been ignoring medical advice, committing crimes which he knows puts him in the sights of the police, and are also very bad for his health, he probably wouldn't have died. His blood pressure was dangerously high the last time he ate meth and fentanyl when he got arrested, and he knew continuing to eat drugs and getting arrested could kill him.

I would say if he hadn't been ignoring medical advice, committing crimes which he knows puts him in the sights of the police, and are also very bad for his health, he probably wouldn't have died. His blood pressure was dangerously high the last time he ate meth and fentanyl when he got arrested, and he knew continuing to eat drugs and getting arrested could kill him.

So the Black guy had it comin.

It is a simple yes or no question. None of the crimes George Floyd was charged with before May 25, 2020 matter in this specific case.

I heard on the news the charges are second degree murder, third degree murder, and second degree Manslaughter.
At least the Jury has some options.

So the Black guy had it comin.
🙄
No. But he is responsible for his actions that day the same as Chauvin.

It is a simple yes or no question. None of the crimes George Floyd was charged with before May 25, 2020 matter in this specific case.
Yes they do. His May 2019 arrest is being admitted in evidence. It shows his past behaviour of eating dangerous drugs and having deadly high blood pressure when getting arrested.

Also: your argument appears to be that if Floyd had refrained from a series of decisions he wouldn’t have been in the predicament he found himself in.

I’m going to now use your posts to highlight what systemic racism looks like:

In the Rittenhouse thread, the argument is that a white nationalist who crosses state lines to shoot at people was a victim defending himself. He’s a victim. He’s “Kyle”.

In this thread: a Black man living in his own community deserved to die because he had high blood pressure.

Remember: the more folks argue it’s not about racism, it’s solely about racism.

🙄
No. But he is responsible for his actions that day the same as Chauvin.

Yes they do. His May 2019 arrest is being admitted in evidence. It shows his past behaviour of eating dangerous drugs and having deadly high blood pressure when getting arrested.

There is literally no action Floyd took that ended his own life. Zero. Nada.

Also: your argument appears to be that if Floyd had refrained from a series of decisions he wouldn’t have been in the predicament he found himself in.

I’m going to now use your posts to highlight what systemic racism looks like:

In the Rittenhouse thread, the argument is that a white nationalist who crosses state lines to shoot at people was a victim defending himself. He’s a victim. He’s “Kyle”.

In this thread: a Black man living in his own community deserved to die because he had high blood pressure.

Remember: the more folks argue it’s not about racism, it’s solely about racism.
If it's about racism, how do you explain my position on the three Georgia bozos, or countless others where I decide cases based on facts, not emotions, politics and race.

The defense says George Floyd resisted arrest and refused to get in the police vehicle. But when I watched the video, it looks like Derek Chauvin did put Floyd in the car, assaulted him there, and pulled him out of it while he was screaming.

There is literally no action Floyd took that ended his own life. Zero. Nada.
He ate the drugs. Multiple times. The jury will see it because it happened. His medical records are being admitted. His health was not good. The counterfeit bill is being admitted. Why was he committing crimes?

I am not absolving Chauvin. He is responsible in part, it was his arrest, his excessive force, his inattentiveness or just plain disregard for Floyd, because of racism or because he knew him, it all will be judged by the jury.

If it's about racism, how do you explain my position on the three Georgia bozos, or countless others where I decide cases based on facts, not emotions, politics and race.

You mean the GA guys who used the nword after executing a Black man for jogging?

And it’s not about your personal positions. Your positions in the threads are a systemic racism cliff notes version of systemic racism. White kid who murders made a mistake and shouldn’t spend the rest of his life in jail. Black guy who passed fake bills and lived an unhealthy life deserved to die.

It’s pretty stark. And obvious.

Back
Top Bottom