• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Derek Chauvin asks for new trial

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

5/4/21
Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer who was convicted last month of killing George Floyd, filed a request Tuesday asking for a new trial. Eric Nelson, Chauvin’s attorney, alleged that juror misconduct and pretrial publicity in part led to Chauvin’s conviction for second- and third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in Floyd's death last year. Chauvin’s legal team specifically cited the court’s rejection of its request to change the hearing’s venue outside Minneapolis. Nelson wrote in the filing that “the Court abused its discretion when it denied Defendant’s motion for a change of venue” and that publicity around the high-profile hearing escalated “the potential for prejudice in these proceedings.” “The publicity here was so pervasive and so prejudicial before and during this trial that it amounted to a structural defect in the proceedings,” he wrote. Nelson also tore into the court over its rules surrounding the jury, which he said were not strict enough and allowed jurors to digest outside media coverage of the trial. “The Court abused its discretion when it failed to sequester the jury for the duration of the trial, or in the least, admonish them to avoid all media, which resulted in jury exposure to prejudicial publicity regarding the trial during the proceedings, as well as jury intimidation and potential fear of retribution among jurors, which violated Mr. Chauvin’s constitutional rights to due process and to a fair trial,” Nelson claimed.

I don't buy into Mr. Nelson's arguments, but pressing for a Chauvin "get out of jail card" is what he is being paid to do.

tbh, he should throw every hail mary possible.

Between Maxine and the tainted juror, I think he has the right to a new trial.

tbh, he should throw every hail mary possible.

Chauvin has a dozen defense attorney's working his case, all paid for by the Minneapolis Police and Peace Officers Association's legal defense fund.

The MPPOA expects to spend $1 million-plus on Chauvin’s case from the legal fund, which is paid into by officers throughout the state who belong to unions.

Most of the private prosecution attorney's are working this case pro bono... Matthew Frank, Steve Schleicher, Jerry Blackwell, Neal Katyal, Lola Velázquez-Aguilu.

Between Maxine and the tainted juror, I think he has the right to a new trial.

That's what people who like police brutality would say. Stop enabling them.

He has every right to ask for one.

And of course his request should be denied, because he was recorded committing murder in front of multiple witnesses and convicted in hours. All the whining in the world about Maxine Waters isn't going to change that.

This is a ROUTINE motion... A defendant has 15 days to file this motion after a verdict in Minnesota..

89457F69-B9F1-4228-BCB1-67BBE0020449.jpeg

Chauvin is white so no way he's getting off easy on this conviction. If I were him I'd be putting all my go fund me assets into the police widows and orphans funds. You never know when you might need a friend.

I don't buy into Mr. Nelson's arguments, but pressing for a Chauvin "get out of jail card" is what he is being paid to do.
I hope he gets it so his past record can be brought to light. Being convicted once wasn't good enough for him, he needs to hear it two or three times for it to sink in that he is a convicted murderer. A criminal.

Back
Top Bottom