• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Der Spiegel to run 23-page special on reporter who faked stories

ajn678

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/21/der-spiegel-to-run-23-page-special-on-reporter-who-faked-stories-claas-relotius

The German news weekly Der Spiegel is to publish a 23-page special report on how one of its award-winning reporters faked stories for years and dealt a blow to media credibility.

Claas Relotius, 33, resigned after admitting making up stories and inventing protagonists in more than a dozen articles in the magazine’s print and online editions.

Since the scandal was revealed by the magazine on Wednesday, other mainstream German outlets including Die Welt and Die Zeit, which once used Relotius as a freelancer, have also begun poring through articles that he wrote for them.

Der Spiegel is one of the most respected agencies in the world in regards to world news. Embarrassing to have Breitbart/Salon levels of journalism by an unhinged lunatic probably suffering greatly from Trump's presidency.

That this guy was allowed to pass his fiction writing off as journalism on as many platforms as he did....mostly well respected platforms....for as long as he did.....proves that The Rebellion is right about how rotten to the core journalism is.

A useful link:
Claas Relotius Reporter Forgery Scandal - SPIEGEL ONLINE

A Taste:
Relotius' story, his method, was nothing more than rearranging material that wasn't his. Along with some details that he invented. He made use of images, Facebook posts, YouTube videos, and he borrowed material from old newspapers and obscure blogs. He assembled all these pieces and splinters and shreds and crumbs to create his characters. Chris Jaeger, Gayle Gladdis, Neil Becker from Fergus Falls, Nadim and Khalid in Kirkuk, Ahmed and Alin from Aleppo, Mohammed Bwasir from Guantanamo, they were not human beings made of flesh and blood. They only live on paper, and their creator was Claas Relotius. Sometimes he made them sing, sometimes he made them cry and sometimes he had them pray. And if he felt like it, as in "Jaeger's Border," he had his main character shoot into the night with an assault rifle. Because it made such a wonderful ending to his work of fiction.

Last edited:
That this guy was allowed to pass his fiction writing off as journalism on as many platforms as he did....mostly well respected platforms....for as long as he did.....proves that The Rebellion is right about how rotten to the core journalism is.

A useful link:
Claas Relotius Reporter Forgery Scandal - SPIEGEL ONLINE

A Taste:

It only proves that one person was producing fictitious news and his employer is owning up to it. Hyperbole is not your friend.

I know, I know, you want everything to be as sweeping conspiracy. Too bad it's not.

It only proves that one person was producing fictitious news and his employer is owning up to it. Hyperbole is not your friend.

I know, I know, you want everything to be as sweeping conspiracy. Too bad it's not.

Entirely false. Der Spiegel has an entire fact checking portion of their company that ignored this. Last year there was a report sent to them as well about him making things up and only after an internal employee decided to come out after being threatened with loss of their job did they do anything.

We need to talk about how such massive fraud goes undiscovered for so many years by the folks who are supposed to be the best at this.

The best were no where near good enough for the job, THAT'S a problem.

That means that the process is broken.

Which is The Rebellions point.

Journalism is Broken

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom