• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Deputies shoot man in his front yard

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
http://www.pnj.com/article/20130728/NEWS11/307280027/Deputies-shoot-at-man-in-his-yard?nclick_check=1

Lying in a hospital bed the night after he was shot by Escambia County sheriff’s deputies in his own front yard, Roy Middleton only had one question: Why?

Middleton, 60, of the 200 block of Shadow Lawn Lane in Warrington, was shot in the leg about 2:42 a.m. Saturday while trying to retrieve a cigarette from his mother’s car in the driveway of their home.

A neighbor saw someone reaching into the car and called 911. While he was looking into the vehicle, deputies arrived in response to the burglary call.

Middleton said he was bent over in the car searching the interior for a loose cigarette when he heard a voice order him to, “Get your hands where I can see them.”

He said he initially thought it was a neighbor joking with him, but when he turned his head he saw deputies standing halfway down his driveway.

He said he backed out of the vehicle with his hands raised, but when he turned to face the deputies, they immediately opened fire.

“It was like a firing squad,” he said. “Bullets were flying everywhere.”

The Escambia County Sheriff’s Office declined to comment on the incident Saturday.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating, as is standard in deputy-involved shootings. The deputies, who have not been publicly identified, have been placed on paid administrative leave.

any thoughts about this story?

Doesn't surprise me. I am just amazed he was still in the car if they had time to make a 911 call and get on scene if he was just getting a smoke.

Yes, I have a thought. Why are they getting a paid vacation?

Standard practice, I guess, since the other side to the story hasn't been publicized as yet. Sounds pretty bad for the police, on first blush.

Doesn't surprise me. I am just amazed he was still in the car if they had time to make a 911 call and get on scene if he was just getting a smoke.

At the risk of rampant speculation, most people searching for a cigarette at 2:42 am are often just waking up from a bender and staggering around to get their barrings. Could be he forgot how to get out of the car once he leaned in.

At the risk of rampant speculation, most people searching for a cigarette at 2:42 am are often just waking up from a bender and staggering around to get their barrings. Could be he forgot how to get out of the car once he leaned in.

Talk about embarrassing moments! :lamo:

Well my guess is he did something that isn't being told. What that is, IDK. It still doesn't surprise me either way. I would not be well-suited to have to put up with a lot of what police put up with so I can at least see it from both sides too.

Good thing they detained him before he could shoot them down with his cigarette.

Shoot first and ask questions later. That philosophy has worked for me since like forever.

My thoughts..... Smoking can get you killed.

My thoughts..... Smoking can get you killed.
]

The Surgeon General has determined that going out to your car to get your cigarettes can be hazardous to your health.

This story seems quite fishy to me. First of all, he just wanted to grab a cigarette from his mother's car at 2:45 in the morning? And how long did it take him to look for the cigarette, if a neighbor had the time to notice his behavior, think it suspicious, call the police and have the police show up before he found something?

But the thing which really stands out to me about this story is it is only reported (at least in the summary) the man was shot in the leg. Since when do multiple officers demand compliance, not get it and feel like they are threatened enough to the point of discharging their weapon like a "firing squad" with "Bullets were flying everywhere" and not aim for the torso?

This whole story stinks to me. I'm not saying the officers were necessarily right to open fire, but I suspect there's more to the victim's story than he's telling.

]The Surgeon General has determined that going out to your car to get your cigarettes can be hazardous to your health.

Common Sense has determined that failing to do what the police demand or doing thing beyond what they demand can get you shot.

This story seems quite fishy to me. First of all, he just wanted to grab a cigarette from his mother's car at 2:45 in the morning? And how long did it take him to look for the cigarette, if a neighbor had the time to notice his behavior, think it suspicious, call the police and have the police show up before he found something?

But the thing which really stands out to me about this story is it is only reported (at least in the summary) the man was shot in the leg. Since when do multiple officers demand compliance, not get it and feel like they are threatened enough to the point of discharging their weapon like a "firing squad" with "Bullets were flying everywhere" and not aim for the torso?

This whole story stinks to me. I'm not saying the officers were necessarily right to open fire, but I suspect there's more to the victim's story than he's telling.

Yeah, it sounds pretty odd. On reflection, if there really was this 'hail of bullets' he's proclaiming, I find it hard to believe the cops were all such crappy shots that they ONLY got him once in the leg.... even the NYPD can do better than that.

Yes. If the story is accurate as reported, then what in the hell were these men thinking? I am astounded at their negligence and stupidity.

Yeah, no kidding. Why did they shoot? In short order, Joe CCP would have meandered along to shoot the guy instead.

Common Sense has determined that failing to do what the police demand or doing thing beyond what they demand can get you shot.

No it doesn't. That's a police state mentality. In this country the police only use deadly force when absolutely necessary.

No it doesn't. That's a police state mentality. In this country the police only use deadly force when absolutely necessary.

I guess that means I think it's necessary a lot more often than you do.

I guess that means I think it's necessary a lot more often than you do.

It's not a surprise given your appreciation for authoritarianism. Not to degrade your opinion, but it is quite different from mine.

Comments besides the obvious question of why this is in the Zimmerman forum?

The deputies are lousy shots for one thing. Secondly it appears they broke every protocol known to the universe, and deserve to be fired, have their pensions deleted and prosecuted as criminals. Now if there's more to the story, let's have it.

Yes, I have a thought. Why are they getting a paid vacation?

innocent until proven guilty? I like the policy. my only change would be to require them to repay the money if they are found guilty.

innocent until proven guilty? I like the policy. my only change would be to require them to repay the money if they are found guilty.

I like that. I like desk duty better.

]

The Surgeon General has determined that going out to your car to get your cigarettes can be hazardous to your health.

my grandfather smoked for nearly 80 years. never got cancer, never got any of the other diseases that smoking is supposed to cause. at the age of 93, he was going downstairs in the middle of the night to have a smoke, tripped on the steps and fell down the stairs and broke his neck. I guess all those people who told him for 80 years that smoking was going to kill him were finally proven right.

Back
Top Bottom