• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dennis Rodman: International man of Mystery

What's going on here?

• America is using him to collect intel etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SBu

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
What exactly do you think is going on here?

Celebrities are idiots, especially when they become political. I remember when Danny Glover went down to Venezuela to hang out with his buddy Hugo.

Dennis wants an extension of his 15.

Rodman used to live down the boardwalk from me in Newport... we used to see him out at the bars and clubs all the time. He is a total moron and couldn't sound any more stupid if he tried. The groupies loved him though. He should just be happy that Jordan put up with him.

Evidently, he is the only significant communication we have with NK. He has the potential to accomplish a great deal and he seems to be doing this on his own nickel.

attention_whore-300x231.jpg

There was no "Attention whore trying to get back into the spotlight" option. If that option was available then I would have picked that one.

Well, Rodman apparently called both Obama and Hillary Clinton assholes, so the man has a good bull**** detector at least. And if he's just visiting North Korea to help train their Olympic basketball program, no big deal. May actually be a good way to help to at least start to soften the North Korean stance toward the west - Bill Richardson's self-promotion vis-a-vis North Korea isn't any better, in my view.

Tall black men who play basketball are of interest to Kim, the other fellow just wouldn't take his call.

Maybe some of you old guys will get it. Every journey begins with a single step. Think of China and a game of ping-pong.

I never heard of Rodman before these events. I'm not interested in sports. But as far as I'm concerned, the guy is a hero and has accomplished more than our wealthy rulers have.

When it comes to my opinions on government and on foreign policy, I sure don't get them froim Rodman or pay him one iota bit of attention.

Well, Rodman apparently called both Obama and Hillary Clinton assholes, so the man has a good bull**** detector at least. And if he's just visiting North Korea to help train their Olympic basketball program, no big deal. May actually be a good way to help to at least start to soften the North Korean stance toward the west - Bill Richardson's self-promotion vis-a-vis North Korea isn't any better, in my view.

Yeah, this is pretty fascinating actually. There's got to be something going on behind the scenes here. I would hope that Rodman wouldn't be buddy buddy with a dictator that keeps a significant percentage of his population on the verge of starvation and in prison camps, has his ex-girlfriend executed, and routinely threatens nuclear war without any political or humanitarian motive in mind. Then again...

When it comes to my opinions on government and on foreign policy, I sure don't get them froim Rodman or pay him one iota bit of attention.

True, but he's the only celeb "friend" of Jong-Un so maybe, even though its intellectually painful to think about, he may actually be useful.

Ooh, Lordy, I'd hate to know that the fate of the free world rested in the hands of Dennis Rodman.

True, but he's the only celeb "friend" of Jong-Un so maybe, even though its intellectually painful to think about, he may actually be useful.

Time will tell, but I am fully the skeptic on this.

Ooh, Lordy, I'd hate to know that the fate of the free world rested in the hands of Dennis Rodman.

Maybe Jong-Un is just using him to replace high-up light bulbs in the palace or something.

Like most foreign anti-American types I've encountered, Kim Jong Un is an American culture groupie. When he was growing up, he fell in love with America's favorite basketball team at the time, the Chicago Bulls. Fate had it that Rodman's post NBA career with the Harlem Globetrotters took him to North Korea on a goodwill mission. Kim, being a huge Chicago Bulls fan was overwhelmed by Rodman in his country and treated him like a king probably with a harem of gorgeous Asian women to fulfill his even whim. Rodman being completely oblivious to international geo-politics probably had no idea of the short but troubling career of his new dictator buddy and when he hears of tensions between the US and NK he doesn't get it and wishes Obama would simply reach out to Kim on a personal level since after all, they're both "cool." Obama doesn't and instead plays hardline diplomacy with a nuclear armed tyrant who threatens us and our allies and Rodman thinks he's being a jerk.

As time goes on Rodman becomes more aware of Kim's behavior and asks him as a friend to "do me a solid" and release recently arrested America missionary Kenneth Bae via twitter. At this point I think Rodman realizes more the kind of person Kim is but since he's been so kind to him personally thinks he can be won over if the President will only initiate an American friendship. Rodman might also think, possibly correctly to some extent, Kim is being controlled by the military generals he inherited from his father's regime and might be in a situation where's he's being forced to chest beat but if we reach out to Kim now once the older military mentors die off, we could have a better relationship with NK...maybe.

Last edited:
Like most foreign anti-American types I've encountered, Kim Jong Un is an American culture groupie. When he was growing up, he fell in love with America's favorite basketball team at the time, the Chicago Bulls. Fate had it that Rodman's post NBA career with the Harlem Globetrotters took him to North Korea on a goodwill mission. Kim, being a huge Chicago Bulls fan was overwhelmed by Rodman in his country and treated him like a king probably with a harem of gorgeous Asian women to fulfill his even whim. Rodman being completely oblivious to international geo-politics probably had no idea of the short but troubling career of his new dictator buddy and when he hears of tensions between the US and NK he doesn't get it and wishes Obama would simply reach out to Kim on a personal level since after all, they're both "cool." Obama doesn't and instead plays hardline diplomacy with a nuclear armed tyrant who threatens us and our allies and Rodman thinks he's being a jerk.

As time goes on Rodman becomes more aware of Kim's behavior and asks him as a friend to "do me a solid" and release recently arrested America missionary Kenneth Bae via twitter. At this point I think Rodman realizes more the kind of person Kim is but since he's been so kind to him personally thinks he can be won over if the President will only initiate an American friendship. Rodman might also think, possibly correctly to some extent, Kim is being controlled by the military generals he inherited from his father's regime and might be in a situation where's he's being forced to chest beat but if we reach out to Kim now once the older military mentors die off, we could have a better relationship with NK...maybe.

I hope Rodman knows he's playing with fire. One misstep in NK and you're in prison camp, and Rodman seems particularly vulnerable to political missteps.

I think that "He's an idiot attention whore" should have been an option here. :mrgreen:

I almost feel sorry for Rodman, actually.

Back
Top Bottom