• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dennis Hastert gets 15 months in prison in hush money case

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
(CNN)Former House Speaker Dennis Hastert on Wednesday was sentenced to 15 months in prison and ordered to pay $250,000 to a victims' fundin a hush money case that revealed he was being accused of sexually abusing young boys as a teacher in Illinois.

He was also sentenced to two years of supervised release once he finishes his prison term.

For the first time, Hastert, 74, admitted to Judge Thomas M. Durkin in open court that he abused at least one boy.

Yea, the monster finally admits to being what he is.... A freakin' child molester. If there is justice in the world, some seasoned cons will get hold of him and castrate his sorry ass.... with the dullest knife they can find.

Mr. Hastert - Go die in a fire.

Article is here.

Well, one could argue this is a fairly light punishment for the activity that spanned such a long period.

I agree, a horrible person.

Yea, the monster finally admits to being what he is.... A freakin' child molester. If there is justice in the world, some seasoned cons will get hold of him and castrate his sorry ass.... with the dullest knife they can find.

Article is here.
This sentence is a mere pittance compared to what he faced if within the statute of limitations!

Pfffft!

Article is here.

He seems to be sincerely contrite for his actions, and to have lived honorably for most of his life.

Oh well, can't do the time, don't do the crime.

He seems to be sincerely contrite for his actions, and to have lived honorably for most of his life.

They almost always are... when they are finally caught.

Article is here.

Amen Brother.,.. Tell it....

They almost always are... when they are finally caught.

And that is a good thing, since wicked men ought to repent.

But aside from the general case of convicts repenting in court, the fact that he apparently stopped does indicate that he repented long ago.

Article is here.
Far to light a sentence, and the statute of limitations should be removed for these beasts.
Far to often they are caught well after the fact and the Statute of Limitations protects them..

But aside from the general case of convicts repenting in court, the fact that he apparently stopped does indicate that he repented long ago.
"post hoc ergo propter hoc"

Article is here.

Imagine that, a rich white guy gets off with a very lienient sentencing.

Not really. That fallacy starts from the premise that two events occurred in sequential order, and (erroneously) assumes a casual relationship. Speculation about the sequential order itself is therefore not post hoc ergo propter hoc, although it may be otherwise problematic (or it may be sound).

I would consider someone having stopped without getting caught or otherwise rendered unable to be indicative of contrition.

Imagine that, a rich white guy gets off with a very lienient sentencing.

His sentence exceeded the sentencing guidelines two and a half fold. Are you always dishonest?

If he was honorable, he would have come clean decades ago and faced the consequences of his actions.

If he was honorable, he would have come clean decades ago and faced the consequences of his actions.

How do you reach that conclusion?

There's no moral duty to publicly confess to wrongs.

Far to light a sentence, and the statute of limitations should be removed for these beasts.
Far to often they are caught well after the fact and the Statute of Limitations protects them..

He was not charged with nor plead guilty to child molestation. But to the equivalent of money laundering. So for what he plead guilty to I believe the sentence is probably appropriate. It is unfortunate that he was/could not? be charged with the sexual assault/interference crimes

Not really. That fallacy starts from the premise that two events occurred in sequential order, and (erroneously) assumes a casual relationship. Speculation about the sequential order itself is therefore not post hoc ergo propter hoc, although it may be otherwise problematic (or it may be sound).

I would consider someone having stopped without getting caught or otherwise rendered unable to be indicative of contrition.
You know, you might have a point here, because technically you did not claim a specific order.

But you've provided no evidence his stopping was indicative of contrition beyond your unsupported assertion (i.e., your opinion).

And further, it hasn't been proven he didn't get caught, nor has it been proven he wasn't rendered unable (as you state), or that he even stopped at all! There's a lot of holes, here! :doh

But good job on the 'post hoc ergo' ...

How do you reach that conclusion?

There's no moral duty to publicly confess to wrongs.

You do not think it I honorable to come forward when you committed particularly serious crimes against children?

Some one I know very well was abused as a preteen. Her life sucked until years later she came out with it. When she finally told about the long term abuse, she was called a liar and when she was finally believed they said she lied about the person who did it. Her parents confronted the wrong person first. Utter humiliation. She wanted to kill herself. She was victimized again. The actual abuser, when confronted actually told the truth. The relief and healing she felt by letting it out and having someone believe her was life changing for her. Too bad that information did not come out 20 years earlier. Could have saved her a couple decades of torment and she could have begun healing earlier.

Moral duty to confess that you sexually abused kids? Hell yes. Double hell yes.

I really am confused by your belief system. You believe someone possessing a condom should face the death penalty, but yet a child abuser has no moral duty to profess his wrongs. WTH?

You know, you might have a point here, because technically you did not claim a specific order.

But you've provided no evidence his stopping was indicative of contrition beyond your unsupported assertion (i.e., your opinion).

And further, it hasn't been proven he didn't get caught, nor has it been proven he wasn't rendered unable (as you state), or that he even stopped at all! There's a lot of holes, here! :doh

But good job on the 'post hoc ergo' ...

There is no evidence that he continued molesting, or that he was impeded from continuing. And it's just a fact that he wasn't "caught" until recently.

I find it reasonable in general to assume that if someone freely stops committing a crime like that, that that's a good indicator of contrition. I can't really support this, but it seems to follow intuitively.

He was not charged with nor plead guilty to child molestation. But to the equivalent of money laundering. So for what he plead guilty to I believe the sentence is probably appropriate. It is unfortunate that he was/could not? be charged with the sexual assault/interference crimes

And that is the reason child molestation should have no limitations. Many abused do not come forwards for decades. If you have the chance to watch the movie Spotlight, I highly recommend it.

You do not think it I honorable to come forward when you committed particularly serious crimes against children?

Some one I know very well was abused as a preteen. Her life sucked until years later she came out with it. When she finally told about the long term abuse, she was called a liar and when she was finally believed they said she lied about the person who did it. Her parents confronted the wrong person first. Utter humiliation. She wanted to kill herself. She was victimized again. The actual abuser, when confronted actually told the truth. The relief and healing she felt by letting it out and having someone believe her was life changing for her. Too bad that information did not come out 20 years earlier. Could have saved her a couple decades of torment and she could have begun healing earlier.

I really am confused by your belief system. You believe someone possessing a condom should face the death penalty, but yet a child abuser has no moral duty to profess his wrongs. WTH?

Well stated.

Article is here.

Only 15 months? Anything short of 20 years seems far too lenient.

A person who has been publicly accused and a person who hasn't been publicly accused are two very different cases. Your personal and irrelevant anecdote doesn't change this.

There is no logical contrariness here, at all. Those aren't even opinions about the same question. I'm aware that you have poor reasoning skills in general, though I'm suspecting that in the present case you're laboring under some sort of emotional line of thought.

There is no evidence that he continued molesting, or that he was impeded from continuing. And it's just a fact that he wasn't "caught" until recently.

I find it reasonable in general to assume that if someone freely stops committing a crime like that, that that's a good indicator of contrition. I can't really support this, but it seems to follow intuitively.
There's no evidence presented, because it's your assertion. You made unsubstantiated assertions, and I asked you to present your evidence.

And now you turn it upon me to prove contrary?

And that is the reason child molestation should have no limitations. Many abused do not come forwards for decades. If you have the chance to watch the movie Spotlight, I highly recommend it.

Absolutely.

Abuse is a gift that keeps on giving. I think it is beyond naïve if someone thinks the damage from the abuse stops when the abuse stops.

They should have given the SOB 15 years.

Back
Top Bottom