• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dennis Hastert gets 15 months in prison in hush money case

Absolutely.

Abuse is a gift that keeps on giving. I think it is beyond naïve if someone thinks the damage from the abuse stops when the abuse stops.
Yes from turning into an abuser, to addiction to suicide. Reason the statute should never expire for these crimes

Only 15 months? Anything short of 20 years seems far too lenient.

he was convicted of a white collar financial crime, not sexual molestation of kids.
it kinda sucks in this case, but sentencing should be according to the crime a person was convicted of.

in any event, he's utter scum....

There's no evidence presented, because it's your assertion. You made unsubstantiated assertions, and I asked you to present your evidence.

And now you turn it upon me to prove contrary?

The assertion that he continued milestone, or that he was impeded, are positive claims. I can't affirmatively disprove them.

My speculation about his contrition is rational speculation (well I think so anyway), not an evidentiary claim.

A person who has been publicly accused and a person who hasn't been publicly accused are two very different cases. Your personal and irrelevant anecdote doesn't change this.

There is no logical contrariness here, at all. Those aren't even opinions about the same question. I'm aware that you have poor reasoning skills in general, though I'm suspecting that in the present case you're laboring under some sort of emotional line of thought.

Does the person have a legal duty to be a witness against himself? No.

You said he lead an honorable life. And that is bullcrap. He hid the abuse and did not allow his victims a chance to heal. That is decades of a dishonorable life. YMMV...and I have no doubt that it does.

Well, one could argue this is a fairly light punishment for the activity that spanned such a long period.

I agree, a horrible person.

He's not being punished for the child molestation. A law called the Statute of Limitations protects him and other criminals from that. Just wait a clock out. He's only getting time for the structuring of the money withdrawals.

This sentence is a mere pittance compared to what he faced if within the statute of limitations!

Pfffft!

A damned good reason that the Statute of Limitation should be removed for felonies. If you do something like this, you should live in fear of arrest, the rest of your life.

They should have given the SOB 15 years.

yeah, it's pretty crappy that he is being punished for something that shouldn't even be illegal....and he's not even convicted of his heinous crimes, let alone punished for them.

but that's our legal system for ya.(I refuse to call it a justice system)

The crime for which he was convicted doesn't carry 20 years. We don't change the punishment just because of who the scumbag is. In this country we follow the law. The victim failed to come forward in a reasonable amount of time.

yeah, it's pretty crappy that he is being punished for something that shouldn't even be illegal....and he's not even convicted of his heinous crimes, let alone punished for them.

but that's our legal system for ya.(I refuse to call it a justice system)

Don't worry, the truth is that he's not going to any horrible prison. He's in frail health. This is going to be a cakewalk type prison.

And that is a good thing, since wicked men ought to repent.

But aside from the general case of convicts repenting in court, the fact that he apparently stopped does indicate that he repented long ago.
The assertion that he continued milestone, or that he was impeded, are positive claims. I can't affirmatively disprove them.

My speculation about his contrition is rational speculation (well I think so anyway), not an evidentiary claim.
Alright, I'm not going to continue to dance in circles with this:

You made the statement which I bolded.

You've made no effort to produce evidence in support of your statement.

So essentially, you're statement is unsubstantiated and supported opinion.

I disagree.

And there's not much more to say, unless you'd like to present some evidence.

The crime for which he was convicted doesn't carry 20 years. We don't change the punishment just because of who the scumbag is. In this country we follow the law.

Actually, we do change the punishment based on who the scumbag is. It's a part of the law (to be specific, the sentencing guidelines)

Actually, we do change the punishment based on who the scumbag is. It's a part of the law (to be specific, the sentencing guidelines)

The crime that he was convicted of does not carry 15 - 20 years which people in this forum have been saying he should have been sentenced to... That's like sentencing a speeder to life in prison because we know she killed her child in Florida but got away with it.

The crime that he was convicted of does not carry 15 - 20 years which people in this forum have been saying he should have been sentenced to... That's like sentencing a speeder to life in prison because we know she killed her child in Florida but got away with it.

I did not dispute the fact that the crime he was convicted of does not allow a sentence of 15-20 years. I merely noted that our sentencing guidelines do take who the person is, and what other acts they have engaged in, when determining a sentence

He was and is a predator and will always be a predator. This has been shown thru his time in a position of authority which provided him vast opportunity to molest. And as for many decades will pass before reporting abuse, to never reporting it, we have no evidence he stopped.

Yea, the monster finally admits to being what he is.... A freakin' child molester. If there is justice in the world, some seasoned cons will get hold of him and castrate his sorry ass.... with the dullest knife they can find.

Mr. Hastert - Go die in a fire.

Article is here.

I wish that were true. They have protective custody in prisons today.

Wow

15 months for messing up a young mans life for his depraved needs, not nearly enough.

Not really. That fallacy starts from the premise that two events occurred in sequential order, and (erroneously) assumes a casual relationship. Speculation about the sequential order itself is therefore not post hoc ergo propter hoc, although it may be otherwise problematic (or it may be sound).

I would consider someone having stopped without getting caught or otherwise rendered unable to be indicative of contrition.

Bull. You consider that he was conservative.

Does the person have a legal duty to be a witness against himself? No.

Right. So if you're asserting the existence of an independent moral duty to do so, you'll need to justify that assertion logically.

You said he lead an honorable life. And that is bullcrap. He hid the abuse and did not allow his victims a chance to heal. That is decades of a dishonorable life. YMMV...and I have no doubt that it does.

All the publicly available information indicates that he never had any contact with his victims until one approached him. So he didn't prevent them from doing anything.

He was and is a predator and will always be a predator. This has been shown thru his time in a position of authority which provided him vast opportunity to molest. And as for many decades will pass before reporting abuse, to never reporting it, we have no evidence he stopped.

That is how they operate, get themselves into a trusted positions with access to children.

You have no evidence that he continued. I'm not obliged to prove a negative.

Bull. You consider that he was conservative.

This is an ad hominem fallacy. What my subjective motivation for making an argument is, is not relevant to its validity.

It's also incorrect, I would hold the same position if he were an ordinary citizen.

We all know that predators do not stop, they cant, unless they are on meds and in therapy they will continue to prey on children. So few child predators opt for the meds and therapy, unsure why, there are folks that are trying to control the urge, but so few will submit to the therapy, and its usually after they have committed an offense. Those that do opt for medical help know its wrong and our attempting to keep themselves from offending, those that do not and offend deserve the maximum punishment allowed by the law.

Last edited:
You have no evidence that he continued. I'm not obliged to prove a negative.

This is an ad hominem fallacy. What my subjective motivation for making an argument is, is not relevant to its validity.

It's also incorrect, I would hold the same position if he were an ordinary citizen.

Then you have no understanding of what an abused person goes thru. This is not about proving a negative.

Back
Top Bottom