• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dems starting to panic

It's called getting out in the real world and taking on some responsibility... along with working hard and having some success which allows you to have freedom and independence from govt services. At that point you also have the freedom to choose where your kids go to school and where you want to live along with a whole lotta other things. At least that's what happened to me and many other I know.

I have a niece in high school who always promoted the liberal ideology that her teachers were guilty of teaching in class. She got her first summer job and her first paycheck. I could hear her all the way from Ohio to TX when she saw the taxes that were taken out and what she got to take home. She communicated with me via email wanting to know why she was not getting all that she earned and I asked her to take the pay stub to school and let her teachers explain it to her. It should be interesting when school starts up although I already know the answer, it is her obligation to help those truly in need and the way to do that is only to send your earnings to D.C. so that some bureaucrat in D.C. can spend it the way they see fit.

"A" post? :lamo

You are a loser because you constantly make ridiculous statements/assertions that you cannot document or validate, and when challenged, you go off on some bizarro sarcastic tangent in hopes of avoiding admitting your own stupidity.

1. You claim that all my life I have been "dependent" and have "under-performed" as an employee. Back it up or suck it up, pal.

2. You claim that there are millions of "people who have been unemployed for over a year yet refuse to take a lesser-paying job." Back it up or suck it up, pal.

3. You pretend to be concerned for those who will have a gap in employment on their resumes. Back it up or suck it up, pal.

:2wave:

I have no concern at all since I have written my Congressional Representative and am on record of proposing 5 years of UI. I have no problem with all those unemployed that cannot get a job in 2 years and as an employer would feel very sorry for them and hire them because they showed such great initiative while unemployed. I am sure they would show the same drive and initiative working for me. You see, I want to do my part and make sure people who are unemployed get a paycheck for as long as they need it. I am sure that provides a lot of incentive to get a job.

1. You claim that all my life I have been "dependent" and have "under-performed" as an employee. Back it up or suck it up, pal.

2. You claim that there are millions of "people who have been unemployed for over a year yet refuse to take a lesser-paying job." Back it up or suck it up, pal.

3. You pretend to be concerned for those who will have a gap in employment on their resumes. Back it up or suck it up, pal.

just like you don't know anything about the millions out of work, but yet pass judgement on them...funny how that works

Most people have been out of work at some point in their life and have experience with the unemployment system... you learn quickly how to use it for as long as possible. However, don't think anyone yet has figured out how to use it for 2+ yrs. With dems help... they will. There was a time when govt wasn't needed for these situations because church, family and friends helped out. I personally lived homeless and on the street when benefits ran out.... and ya know what, it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. Thats because it showed me a side of life I vowed NEVER to experience again.

Glinda, please accept my sincere apology as obviously I don't know you and my statements were totally out of bounds. You appear to be an honorable, compassionate person and I join you in your compassion by calling for 5 years of UI or in the case that 5 years isn't enough unlimited for the truly long term unemployed who simply cannot find a job due to the illegal, oppressive policies of private business.

As for millions of people who have been unemployed for over a year yet refuse to take lesser paying jobs, obviously I don't know millions of people and now thanks to you give them the benefit of doubt and thus support UI for as long as necessary. These truly oppressed people deserve our money and compassion. Those evil employers have no business asking for employees with initiative, drive, and pride in themselves. Please accept my apology as thanks to you I see the errors in my way.

As for pretending to be concerned for those who will have a gap in employment, you really don't know me at all. I hired thousands of employees during my career and always started at the bottom and worked my way up. Those with the biggest gap in employment were always hired first because they are the ones that seem to need the job the most and their qualifications, their lack of initiative and drive, and lack of experience was irrelevant. It was all about my caring for these long term unemployed. that is just the kind of liberal that I am.

Most people have been out of work at some point in their life and have experience with the unemployment system... you learn quickly how to use it for as long as possible. However, don't think anyone yet has figured out how to use it for 2+ yrs. With dems help... they will. There was a time when govt wasn't needed for these situations because church, family and friends helped out. I personally lived homeless and on the street when benefits ran out.... and ya know what, it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. Thats because it showed me a side of life I vowed NEVER to experience again.
oh, i agree, some people will f### the system for as long as they can, my problem with conservative is that he wants to paint everyone with the same brush, and if he ever took a step back and put his talking points down, he would realize there are alot of good people out there who, through no fault of their own, are unemployed, and trying like hell and busting their ass to find work . Not all these people, not by a longshot, are bums....and they run the political spectrum, conservative, liberal, moderate, independent , green...unemployment doesnt discriminate.

Last edited:

I think that there is a large number of people in this country that do not know the definition of full employment. To them that means zero unemployment and nothing could be further from the truth. With full employment there remains somewhere between 2-7% of the labor force as unemployable for various reasons. That means that with a labor force of 150 million 3-10 million Americans will always be unemployed. Wonder if our liberal friends recommend paying those people over 2 years of UI? Hmmm

I think that there is a large number of people in this country that do not know the definition of full employment. To them that means zero unemployment and nothing could be further from the truth. With full employment there remains somewhere between 2-7% of the labor force as unemployable for various reasons. That means that with a labor force of 150 million 3-10 million Americans will always be unemployed. Wonder if our liberal friends recommend paying those people over 2 years of UI? Hmmm
full employment is generally considered to be 95%, so on that point, your stats fall within the parameter....you do understand that those 'unemployed' during times of 'full employment', are not static, people move out of this group as they find a job, and others move into it, as they lose one...it isnt the same group of people all the time.

full employment is generally considered to be 95%, so on that point, your stats fall within the parameter....you do understand that those 'unemployed' during times of 'full employment', are not static, people move out of this group as they find a job, and others move into it, as they lose one...it isnt the same group of people all the time.

Finally a statement from you worthy of a response. Yes, I do understand that just as I am sure you understand that there may be millions of those 5% as you state unemployed or 7.5 million that are indeed static and not willing or able to get a job. Much of that group is indeed not static and moves in and out of the unemployed but the number that is could be very large and the taxpayers are funding those people as well.

Finally a statement from you worthy of a response. Yes, I do understand that just as I am sure you understand that there may be millions of those 5% as you state unemployed or 7.5 million that are indeed static and not willing or able to get a job. Much of that group is indeed not static and moves in and out of the unemployed but the number that is could be very large and the taxpayers are funding those people as well.
as i responded to obamanator, there will always be a few worthless f#### who will try and screw the system for as long and hard as they can, and they are not all 'liberals'.....just as unemployment doesnt discriminate between conservative and liberal(unless you believe that everyone who is currently unemployed is a liberal, and i really don't think you want to argue that one) being a worthless piece of dung isnt limited to one part of the political spectrum. also as i responded to obamanator, you can't paint everyone who is unemployed with the same brush, nor can you honestly say that they are all lazy, are milking the public dole for all its worth, or just plain are not trying to get a job...you know better, and need to be honest.

I don't know you and my statements were totally out of bounds.

Correct. You've been talking out of your ass and acting like an ass when called on it.

As for millions of people who have been unemployed for over a year yet refuse to take lesser paying jobs, obviously I don't know millions of people

Correct. You've been talking out of your ass and acting like an ass when called on it.

As for pretending to be concerned for those who will have a gap in employment, you really don't know me at all.

I know enough to know that you've been talking out of your ass and acting like an ass when called on it.

:roll:

I know enough to know that you've been talking out of your ass and acting like an ass when called on it.

:roll:

Thank you so much for choosing which part of my post to highlight. I appreciate your honesty and personal attacks. I see the errors in my way. Now if only I can be just like you.

as i responded to obamanator, there will always be a few worthless f#### who will try and screw the system for as long and hard as they can, and they are not all 'liberals'.....just as unemployment doesnt discriminate between conservative and liberal(unless you believe that everyone who is currently unemployed is a liberal, and i really don't think you want to argue that one) being a worthless piece of dung isnt limited to one part of the political spectrum. also as i responded to obamanator, you can't paint everyone who is unemployed with the same brush, nor can you honestly say that they are all lazy, are milking the public dole for all its worth, or just plain are not trying to get a job...you know better, and need to be honest.

Nor have I and have posted studies stating that incentive is reduced when there is UI to fall back on. My question is why over two years? Why not five years? Why not unlimited UI? Seems to me that you have never run a business. Tell me why any employer should hire someone who has been out of work collecting unemployment insurance for two years? What message does that send as to the quality of the applicant?

I am shocked, I tell you, absolutely shocked!! We hired the most intelligent individual ever to grace the halls of the WH to get us out of the mess that GW Bush created all on his own and here we are 18 months after the "chosen one" took office we are still in this mess and apparently not headed out soon as Obama and the Democrats in Congress have to extend unemployment insurance so that now the unemployed today have over 2 years of benefits. Looks to me like Obama and Congress don't see an end to the recession, any meaningful job creation inspite of having such an intelligent, entergetic superior person as President of the United States. Doesn't look or sound like he has a lot of confidence in his stimulus plan or own ability to "clean up" the mess that he was hired to do.

Nor have I and have posted studies stating that incentive is reduced when there is UI to fall back on. My question is why over two years? Why not five years? Why not unlimited UI? Seems to me that you have never run a business. Tell me why any employer should hire someone who has been out of work collecting unemployment insurance for two years? What message does that send as to the quality of the applicant?
the two of us probably have more in common than you can imagine....i believe that the current extension is justified, but i also agree with you, that it can't go on forever....as for the '2yr' gap , it would be more important to me, to know that this person is actually looking for work, and i wouldnt automatically disqualify them from consideration because of it...simple fact of life, the economy has sucked for the last several years, it is now, starting to suck a little less, and if businesses are not hiring, than how the hell can you get a job? as for the UI study you mentioned, not sure that i buy that it gives people less incentive to look for work....most of the unemployed folks i know have a family, and that unemployment check aint exactly cutting it. they are VERY motivated to find work...... but motivation will only take you so far, if no one is adding payroll.

the two of us probably have more in common than you can imagine....i believe that the current extension is justified, but i also agree with you, that it can't go on forever....as for the '2yr' gap , it would be more important to me, to know that this person is actually looking for work, and i wouldnt automatically disqualify them from consideration because of it...simple fact of life, the economy has sucked for the last several years, it is now, starting to suck a little less, and if businesses are not hiring, than how the hell can you get a job? as for the UI study you mentioned, not sure that i buy that it gives people less incentive to look for work....most of the unemployed folks i know have a family, and that unemployment check aint exactly cutting it. they are VERY motivated to find work...... but motivation will only take you so far, if no one is adding payroll.

When I open the paper there are pages and pages of ads seeking employees and various industries that cannot get or keep employees. The fact that someone remains unemployed for 2 years does not bode well for initiative or drive and if that employee will take money from the taxpayer that employee will also take money from any employer. In the interview that unemployed person better have quite a reason for being unemployed for over a year let alone two. I haven't found a valuable employee ever that was unemployed for more than a year, sorry.

When I open the paper there are pages and pages of ads seeking employees and various industries that cannot get or keep employees. The fact that someone remains unemployed for 2 years does not bode well for initiative or drive and if that employee will take money from the taxpayer that employee will also take money from any employer. In the interview that unemployed person better have quite a reason for being unemployed for over a year let alone two. I haven't found a valuable employee ever that was unemployed for more than a year, sorry.
then it would be my guess you turned away quite a few people who would have been valuable additions . sounds to me that you have automatically disqualified them, and the 'interview' is a moot point in which you wasted their time(time that could have been used looking for another job) as well as your own...why even bother to schedule the interview?

something else...you have a family, your unemployed, your UI benefit is 400 a week, yet Mcdonalds is hiring at 8 dollars an hour, and your schedule would give you 25-40 hrs a week.....what would you do?

then it would be my guess you turned away quite a few people who would have been valuable additions . sounds to me that you have automatically disqualified them, and the 'interview' is a moot point in which you wasted their time(time that could have been used looking for another job) as well as your own...why even bother to schedule the interview?

I always reviewed resumes and did a phone interview before a personal interview. Seldom did I even call back someone who had a year gap on their resume and maybe did turn away a few good people but I always got a good person to replace them and the results spoke for themselves. Hard for some people to believe but entreprenuers look for results not rhetoric but more importantly entreprenuers are always looking for loyal people who have the initiative, drive, and pride to do the job. Seldom have I found someone that took extended unemployment to have any of those qualities.

something else...you have a family, your unemployed, your UI benefit is 400 a week, yet Mcdonalds is hiring at 8 dollars an hour, and your schedule would give you 25-40 hrs a week.....what would you do?

If you are an hourly employee with a family making minimum wage for any extended period then you are overpaid at minimum wage, IMO. I never paid minimum wage to any employee and offered full benefits. Even McDonalds gives a 90 day evaluation and raise then another one at 6 months. I know of no McDonalds that pays minimum wage even in today's labor market.

If you are an hourly employee with a family making minimum wage for any extended period then you are overpaid at minimum wage, IMO. I never paid minimum wage to any employee and offered full benefits. Even McDonalds gives a 90 day evaluation and raise then another one at 6 months. I know of no McDonalds that pays minimum wage even in today's labor market.

overpaid at minimum wage?? ooooooooooookay.................. mcdonalds pays minimum to about 975 an hour....but what i'm asking, is what would you do? say your unemployed, your UI benefit is 400 dollars per week, but you can get a job at mcdonalds making, oh hell, i'll give you a raise, 8.50 an hour, for 25-40 hours a week, knowing that getting the 40 hours a week is not guaranteed...

overpaid at minimum wage?? ooooooooooookay.................. mcdonalds pays minimum to about 975 an hour....but what i'm asking, is what would you do? say your unemployed, your UI benefit is 400 dollars per week, but you can get a job at mcdonalds making, oh hell, i'll give you a raise, 8.50 an hour, for 25-40 hours a week, knowing that getting the 40 hours a week is not guaranteed...

I would mow lawns before I took taxpayer dollars because I know that it wouldn't take me 26 weeks to find a new job. I have more pride than that. I worked hard and not once in 35 years did I ever lose a job because of hard work, initiative, and drive. My company owed me nothing but equal opportunity and I took it. I was totally responsible for a 200 million dollar a year business and did it well making myself valuable. too many ignore that in their own jobs. Spent a lot of time at job fairs and cannot believe some of the people that showed up there. The entitlement mentality was prevalent and quite a turn off.

I would mow lawns before I took taxpayer dollars because I know that it wouldn't take me 26 weeks to find a new job. I have more pride than that. I worked hard and not once in 35 years did I ever lose a job because of hard work, initiative, and drive. My company owed me nothing but equal opportunity and I took it. I was totally responsible for a 200 million dollar a year business and did it well making myself valuable. too many ignore that in their own jobs. Spent a lot of time at job fairs and cannot believe some of the people that showed up there. The entitlement mentality was prevalent and quite a turn off.
you assume you could find a job in 26 weeks, you assume that an employer would see some usefull quality in you...that is quite a few assumptions you are making....also, your gonna have to mow quite a few yards to make up the difference.

Yep, moved here when there were 33,000 people and now there are over 105,000. Traffic can be terrible at times but the widening of the Parkway has really helped. We do love it here, 99 holes of golf

There is also cameras on the traffic lights. I wonder how many people get nailed with tickets, after the fact, in The Woodlands? My mother, who lived in the senior assisted living complex on Six Pines just passed away last fall. But my brother, sister-in-law and niece are still there. Not too far from the Loch Ness monster.

All'z I know is that weekly unemployment compensation here is almost 400.00 a week. I remember a time when I would work 40-50 hours a week and still not make that much money. But that was a LONG time ago. If I could afford to live off 400.00 a week, why would I want to go to work if I could get unemployment?

Just sayin'....

Back
Top Bottom