• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dems plot spring sprint for party-line spending deal with Manchin

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
With their 50-member majority poised to confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court by the end of the week, Democrats say they will quickly turn to trying to rebuild the bill once known as Build Back Better. But rather than a redux of the slow-motion collapse of that $1.7 trillion plan, they say they’ll swiftly meet Manchin where he is.

“You either do it before Memorial Day or you’re not going to do it,” said Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.), who is close to Manchin.

--

O.K., this is fine & dandy.

But then, what about Sinema?

--

I don't see this going anywhere . . .

Better to accept the pennies that Manchin so beneficially allows than get back much more than that of the trillions the Trump/Rep tax plan took from our national treasure that can't be had otherwise.

--

--

Manchin is a conservadem, but at least he makes it clear what he will and won't accept. Shifty Sinema, though...

--

--

Probably not due to this Manchin ‘condition’:

He wants roughly half of any new revenues from the bill to go toward deficit reduction.

Prior versions of BBB were CBO scored to (slightly?) increase the deficit.

Probably not due to this Manchin ‘condition’:

Prior versions of BBB were CBO scored to (slightly?) increase the deficit.

Interesting find.

I've since posted another article to the thread, describing Dem Progressives are now more willing to negotiate. If they give Manchin enough fossil fuel assistance, you never know? He just might bite!

Who knows, with Sinema? I suspect she could be bribed too, if Dems really want; everyone has their price, and Dems are desperate for a win going into the mid-terms!

Interesting find.

I've since posted another article to the thread, describing Dem Progressives are now more willing to negotiate. If they give Manchin enough fossil fuel assistance, you never know? He just might bite!

Who knows, with Sinema? I suspect she could be bribed too, if Dems really want; everyone has their price, and Dems are desperate for a win going into the mid-terms!

Your second link noted that Manchin now favors offering (new) federal subsidies to help offset increased fossil fuel costs which is an addition to prior BBB package content. The more Manchin adds to BBB, the more other stuff must be removed from it.

Ever since I wrote Sinema an email last January stating I wouldn't vote for her again if she was the only person on a ballot I have been getting calls from her robot daily and emails at almost the same rate. Her handlers know she is on thin ice with those that put her in office. If she screws the dems again she can start looking for a new job. Of course will all the big pharma money she has raked in she won't have to work a real job for a while;

"And she hit that $1.1 million haul with a big assist from the pharmaceutical and financial industries, whose political action committees and top executives stuffed her coffers in the middle of negotiations on Democrats’ massive infrastructure and social spending bills."

Things that don't seem likely

Manchin and Senima serve the American people rather than the wealthy interests they've aligned with
Putin stop wrong war
trump stop lying and cheating
China grow some morals
Republicans learn to see through propaganda

Ever since I wrote Sinema an email last January stating I wouldn't vote for her again if she was the only person on a ballot I have been getting calls from her robot daily and emails at almost the same rate. Her handlers know she is on thin ice with those that put her in office. If she screws the dems again she can start looking for a new job. Of course will all the big pharma money she has raked in she won't have to work a real job for a while;

"And she hit that $1.1 million haul with a big assist from the pharmaceutical and financial industries, whose political action committees and top executives stuffed her coffers in the middle of negotiations on Democrats’ massive infrastructure and social spending bills."

Quite honestly, I think she's in it for the money - and only the money.

Things that don't seem likely

Manchin and Senima serve the American people rather than the wealthy interests they've aligned with
Putin stop wrong war
trump stop lying and cheating
China grow some morals
Republicans learn to see through propaganda

??

Manchin's a Coal Puppet! Sinema's on the take from Big Pharma! :rolleyes:

Your second link noted that Manchin now favors offering (new) federal subsidies to help offset increased fossil fuel costs which is an addition to prior BBB package content. The more Manchin adds to BBB, the more other stuff must be removed from it.

If Progressive's are serious in giving-up to compromise, we shall see.

??

Manchin's a Coal Puppet! Sinema's on the take from Big Pharma! :rolleyes:

He is from West Virginia. Do you think he should represent the people of his state, or his party? So tired reading people say they should vote for party A or B. This type of thinking is why current politicians are so partisan. That is what people vote for.

What label?

--

BTW - My '??' refers to what I see as the diametric opposite of your claim.
The label that is the first line of the post. The things below are things we're not likely to see happen.

Doubt there is any truth to this at all, Dems spend too many months vilifying everyone they need to make this plan plausible.

He is from West Virginia. Do you think he should represent the people of his state, or his party? So tired reading people say they should vote for party A or B. This type of thinking is why current politicians are so partisan. That is what people vote for.

The People of his state want BBB.

--

--

They need to cut it into smaller bills. Start with the more easily digestible stuff to attempt getting the GOP on board.

The People of his state want BBB.

I wonder how many people in his state (or any other state) know the details of BBB. To be candid not sure I or you know the details of BBB as it stands.

As an example Biden discussed his tax proposals in the budget but did not detail the trillions in spending.

They need to cut it into smaller bills. Start with the more easily digestible stuff to attempt getting the GOP on board.

Will never be done. Neither Schumer nor Pelosi want stand alone votes on the stuff not easily digestible. It would be more than two senators voting no without the easy stuff.

I wonder how many people in his state (or any other state) know the details of BBB. To be candid not sure I or you know the details of BBB as it stands.

As an example Biden discussed his tax proposals in the budget but did not detail the trillions in spending.

It seems that due to partisan programming, the individual items of BBB are well supported. But when you label it as the Democratic BBB bill, Republican constituents don't want it.

This is exactly the same as with the ACA. When presented as 'the ACA', it polls well. When presented as 'ObamaCare', Republicans refuse it.

Back
Top Bottom