• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dems have the winning hand in immigration budget, but not sure how they use it.

They will be running AGAINST Trump so no.
How they do so is very different in Chicago than in red leaning states. If you think sanctuary city progressive politics and rampant Trump bashing will sell down there , you are insane.

It's a national emergency. There will be limited ability to use the courts. Lots of laws won't apply during a national emergency. Heck, landowners will have limited recourse to oppose seizures.

The President...thanks to the laws that Congress has written...has a LOT of power.

No. Trump isn't King. Disabuse yourself of such nonsense.

Do you really think in three weeks trump is going to shut down the government again if he doesn't get his 5.7? The senate republicans will revolt led by mitch.

No. I don't think he will. I think he'll declare a national emergency.

No. Trump isn't King. Disabuse yourself of such nonsense.

Of course he's not king. He follows the Constitution and the laws from Congress.

No. I don't think he will. I think he'll declare a national emergency.

I think if he found that path appetizing, we'd already be well down it. He had a few speeches that were heavily anticipated as announcement of his emergency, and he didn't pull the trigger.

He could have used them to save himself today's embarrassment and he didn't. I haven't heard anyone describe what will change in three weeks that will make it the right time for the emergency, as opposed to three weeks ago.

It will be fascinating disaster to watch unfold, should it happen. I suppose if we can't get competent leadership, we might as well get a show.

I think we are stuck with a narrow budget driven compromise to keep the govt going and fund border security, rather than some grand bargain on immigration. The political pressures are too high on the GOP from their base and the time frame is very limited. The corrosive impact of Trump makes any larger compromise virtually impossible so we wait two years.

There are sufficient Dems from purple states that have to recognize that this wall matters to many in their districts , so I see a minimal increase in the offer on 'physical barrier funding from 1.5 to 2 or 2.3 million and a decent sized increase in border security funding to show that nobody wants 'open borders'. More border agents, more high tech support etc. The question is what do we get for those increases? Does not make much sense to negotiate DACA protections while the courts are doing such a good job protecting them for us. We need to see where the courts end up.

We need to feed into the 'humanitarian' concerns that Trump laughingly ascribed to the GOP motive list. I see us demanding funding better housing conditions and health care for detainees which is deplorable, and maybe a fund for legal aid assistance for those claiming they are legal but who are caught up in the legal web of ICE. These immigration hearings are a giant black hole of Kafkaesque despair than anything like mercy or justice for anyone. I'd like the govt to help fund some of those pro bono efforts by immigration attorneys with a hundred clients and no time or resources.

Any other ideas?

So you want the US tax payer to fund free legal counsel for immigrants that continue to violate our immigration laws ?

And we need to provide them with Free healthcare, and housing ? You're kidding, right ?

No, we need to secure our Southern border, stop the mass influx of illegal immigrants and if that means building a wall so be it.

And no, the Democrats dont have the winning hand at all. Prior to the 2016 election, a majority of Americans stated that illegal immigration was the most important issue facing the Country with the economy close behind

Americans want the Southern border secured, and the Democrats know it

There's literally no upside to allowing millions of unvetted and unscreened immigrants into the US or incentivizing them to show up at the border requesting asyum

So you want the US tax payer to fund free legal counsel for immigrants that continue to violate our immigration laws ?

And we need to provide them with Free healthcare, and housing ? You're kidding, right ?

No, we need to secure our Southern border, stop the mass influx of illegal immigrants and if that means building a wall so be it.

And no, the Democrats dont have the winning hand at all. Prior to the 2016 election, a majority of Americans stated that illegal immigration was the most important issue facing the Country with the economy close behind

There's literally no upside to allowing millions of unvetted and unscreened immigrants into the US or incentivizing them to show up at the border requesting asyum

There's plenty of employers who enjoy the upsides, and we all theoretically benefit from lower prices from the use of undocumented labor (though much of that is doubtless just used to fatten up the profit margins.)

They come, at least in part, because we want them here.

No one but Trump and his minority of sycophants want the stupid wall. Trump will get his money but it won't be for his slush fund/wall. It will be for proven and expert recommended upgrades to the ports of entry and repair of existing barriers. Nobody was interested in a temporary dreamer reprieve when the courts are doing it already.

Wait a minute, walls don't work and they are immoral. How do you go from walls don't work and are immoral to giving money to repair existing barriers that don't work and are immoral? Any money for any repair of any barrier, would show Pelosi was dead wrong in her walls don't work but are also immoral. I have to believe Pelosi thinks of herself as being a moral person, in that case she would be denying her molarity for an immoral wall.

How do you square that all up?

Do you really think in three weeks trump is going to shut down the government again if he doesn't get his 5.7? The senate republicans will revolt led by mitch.

I agree, except that it won't be led by Mitch. Mitch is Trump's bitch.

We already provide them with free housing and health care if they are locked up in federal custody. We just do a lousy subpar job at it. We can improve. As for the legal aide, its narrowly tailored to vetted cases where potential legals or are sitting in limbo without any legal representations for months or years for want of even an hour's legal advice or help.

Back
Top Bottom