• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Dems Continue to Lie, Use Michael J. Fox to do so

easyt65

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Everyone is well aware of the 'Rush Limbaugh Scandal', but what about the 'DNC/Fox Scandal' that started this whole thing?

The Dems used Michael J. Fox in a DNC-funded, scripted, directed, and televised political campaign ad to spread lies, exploiting Fox's condition to either ensure a free pass/un-challenged ad OR to 'ensnare' anyone who called them out on the ad.Limbaugh made the mistake of falling into the trap, addressing how Fox LOOKED in the ad rather than the lies he spread.

The purpose of this thread is to dicuss the original scandal and to set the record straight regarding the lies about embryonic stem cell research the DNC/Fox told!

Ref: http://www.americanthinker.com/artic...rticle_id=5977 :

- The implicit claim that research based on new embryos is “the most promising” is absurd, completely unsupported by the scientific literature, and an insult to voters, based as it is on the assumption that they are incapable of understanding the issue. Too stupid to tell the difference, is the elitist assumption underlying this campaign.

- The plain fact is that embryonic stem cell research is proving to be a bust. There are currently 72 therapies showing human benefits using adult stem cells and zero using embryonic stem cells. Scientifically-minded readers can review this medical journal article on the status of adult stem cell research. Adult stem cell therapies are already being advertised and promoted while no such treatments are even remotely in prospect for embryonic stem cell research.

- The fact is that adult stem cells have already produced remarkable cures, whereas embryonic stem cells have failed.

- The growth of the more primitive embryonic stem cells is more difficult to control and leads to tumor formation. Recent research suggests brain tumors may result (from embryonic stem cell use).

In short, the claims made in the Michael J. Fox political ads are false and reprehensible, an insult to the voters of Maryland, Missouri and New Jersey, and to all Americans.

Adult Stem Cells - 3, Embryonic Stem Cells - 0
http://www.cbhd.org/resources/stemce...2004-06-16.htm

Claim 1“Using embryonic stem cells, researchers at Stanford University who are working on a cure for Type I diabetes are producing new pancreatic islet cells that could be used in human transplants and could herald a cure for this devastating illness.”

Actually, the latest research findings regarding embryonic stem cells are that they do not actually produce insulin in response to glucose changes in their environment and are NOT the pancreatic beta cells needed to treat diabetes. When placed in animals, the cells did not reverse diabetes; instead, they formed tumors.

By contrast, adult islet cell transplants have already allowed hundreds of juvenile diabetes patients to throw away their insulin needles, and even newer approaches, which do NOT use embryonic stem cells may be in human trials soon. For an overview see: http://www.stemcellresearch.org/fact...t-04-03-02.htm.

Adult stem cells have shown repeated success at forming true insulin-producing islets, and have successfully reversed diabetes in animals. Embryonic stem cells have shown no success.

Claim 2
“A Korean research team recently made history by using human embryonic stem cells to cure Parkinson’s disease in rats.”

That is what they claim, but the research is a long way from producing a safe and effective treatment for humans. On the one known occasion when earlier-stage (before 6 weeks) fetal tissue was used to try to treat a human Parkinson’s patient, the tissue killed the patient by forming clumps of bone, skin and hair in the middle of his brain.

Moreover, animal trials with embryonic stem cells repeatedly kill many of the animals because of formation of brain tumors.

Meanwhile, the first clinical trial using a patient’s own adult brain stem cells to treat Parkinson’s has produced a lasting 80% reversal of symptoms, and wider human trials are being planned.

Claim 3
“Rats paralyzed from spinal cord injuries regained their ability to walk after transplantation of specific nerve cells that were derived from mouse embryonic stem cells.”

Actually the functional improvement was modest, and the rats could “almost walk again” after receiving the injections.

This research was announced in December 1999, and no one has announced any improvement on it since or moved it toward human trials. Meanwhile, several human patients have shown remarkable recovery from spinal cord injury after receiving injections of adult cells from their own nasal tissue. That breakthrough was recently featured on “Miracle Cell,” an episode of the PBS program Innovation.

In reality, none of the claims promoted by embryonic stem cell enthusiasts are actually anywhere close to the research already being accomplished using adult stem cells. In addition, adult stem cells avoid many of the practical problems associated with embryonic stem cell research.

1. You use your own cells instead of those of an embryo with another DNA makeup, which would require taking immunosuppressant drugs for the rest of your life (like one does when they have an organ transplant).
2. You avoid the problem of having to clone yourself to get cells genetically identical to your own to avoid problem 1.
3. You avoid having to obtain scores of human eggs to get the stem cells via cloning. (The South Korean experiment required 242 eggs to get one embryonic stem cell line.)
4. Adult stem cells are already specialized and require less cell specialization to work. (Avoids problems of unspecialized embryonic cells becoming tumors.)
5. Lastly, adult stem cells don’t have the moral problem of requiring the destruction of living human embryos for the research.

All I know is the root argument is really about public funding of this type of research. Seems like a no-brainer to me. But then again, I am ARealConservative.

If we expect our populace to be able to understand the real benefits of embryonic cells vs. brain stem cells, we're all screwed.

Let the investors figure it out. :mrgreen:

ARealConservative said:
All I know is the root argument is really about public funding of this type of research.

Great point! Currently this research is being funded publicly and privately! the research so far has failled, not succeded, with little promise of success in the future! There is NO basis for federal (my tax-payer dollars) funding it at this time! It is appauling that the Dems and Michael J. Fox had to revert to lying to get people to back it!

easyt65 said:
Great point! Currently this research is being funded publicly and privately! the research so far has failled, not succeded, with little promise of success in the future! There is NO basis for federal (my tax-payer dollars) funding it at this time! It is appauling that the Dems and Michael J. Fox had to revert to lying to get people to back it!

Well I support you guys for now.

I will say though. I've come to learn how the republican party works, and their isn't a conservative bone in that movement anymore.

The minute they win a battle over the use of public funds, their next battle will be to make this very research illegal, regardless of how it is funded.

So for right now the real battle involves public funding, but I know better then thinking that is where the battle ends.

easyt65 said:
Everyone is well aware of the 'Rush Limbaugh Scandal', but what about the 'DNC/Fox Scandal' that started this whole thing?

The Dems used Michael J. Fox in a DNC-funded, scripted, directed, and televised political campaign ad to spread lies, exploiting Fox's condition to either ensure a free pass/un-challenged ad OR to 'ensnare' anyone who called them out on the ad.Limbaugh made the mistake of falling into the trap, addressing how Fox LOOKED in the ad rather than the lies he spread.

The purpose of this thread is to dicuss the original scandal and to set the record straight regarding the lies about embryonic stem cell research the DNC/Fox told!

Ref: http://www.americanthinker.com/artic...rticle_id=5977 :

- The implicit claim that research based on new embryos is “the most promising” is absurd, completely unsupported by the scientific literature, and an insult to voters, based as it is on the assumption that they are incapable of understanding the issue. Too stupid to tell the difference, is the elitist assumption underlying this campaign.

- The plain fact is that embryonic stem cell research is proving to be a bust. There are currently 72 therapies showing human benefits using adult stem cells and zero using embryonic stem cells. Scientifically-minded readers can review this medical journal article on the status of adult stem cell research. Adult stem cell therapies are already being advertised and promoted while no such treatments are even remotely in prospect for embryonic stem cell research.

- The fact is that adult stem cells have already produced remarkable cures, whereas embryonic stem cells have failed.

- The growth of the more primitive embryonic stem cells is more difficult to control and leads to tumor formation. Recent research suggests brain tumors may result (from embryonic stem cell use).

In short, the claims made in the Michael J. Fox political ads are false and reprehensible, an insult to the voters of Maryland, Missouri and New Jersey, and to all Americans.

Well, at least Michael J Fox can speak for himself. Too bad Republicans can't say that about Terri Schaivo....

4_22_schiavo_terri2.jpg

Durrrr!!!!!! Graaghhh!! Rararrrrarhgghh... Drarhahgarhhgghhhh!!

Vote Republican.. Graraaagghh!!

Thanks, Nathan.

I love it how you framed this thing. The Democrats are dirty liars. But Rush just honestly fell into a DemocRat trap. :roll:

And you post it in the "bias in the media" forum. What does this have to do with bias in the media? Rush's bias?

Rush is damn sure right about one thing. The left puts forth these supposedly untouchable mouth pieces for political gain.

we cant point out where Fox is WRONG, because he has parkisans.
we cant point out where Sheehan is WROGN, because she lost a son in war.

its pathetic to see people being USED for political gain.....but hey, if you want to allow yourself to be USED then you better be prepared to back up your assertions.

and Rush NEVER ATTACKED Fox. I was listening to the show the day all this crap broke. he simply said the guy was either acting or off his meds because he had never seen him this animated before.

I had NEVER SEEN HIM THIS ANIMATED BEFORE either.

Then we later find out that Fox had indeed manipulated his medication for effect. Rush was right, and the libs are condemning him for it.

Dems Lie....Republican react

Republicans Lie...Dems react

You Guys Both Suck....plain and simple, I suppose its just a matter of WHAT you suck

Some think that there should be more funding and freedom to do more research into stem cell possibilities. Some believe that embryos should not be destroyed. They are both legitimate opinions. Both parties tend to try and demonize the other side, but both are justifiable

I watched the add again tonight and Fox stated that Talent is against stem cell research and that is and out right lie........

Where is your backing? I only see two links that give me 404s and hardly look like scientific journals.

Rosalie said:
Where is your backing? I only see two links that give me 404s and hardly look like scientific journals.

Who are you talking to?:confused:

Navy Pride said:
Who are you talking to?:confused:

She is refering to ..Easy65....though he is quite correct in his argument

ProudAmerican said:
...blah blah blah ... "the left" ... blah blah blah ... "it's pathetic to see people being USED for political gain"

tell me about it!

Terri Schiavo...Jessica Lynch...Pat Tillman...The Religious Right...Zell Miller...Colin Powell...the actors in the Ford attack ads...

niftydrifty said:
tell me about it!

Terri Schiavo...Jessica Lynch...Pat Tillman...The Religious Right...Zell Miller...Colin Powell...the actors in the Ford attack ads...

I will give you Shiavo but the rest of the people you named make no sense....I could turn it around and say Michael Moore, Cindy Sheehan, Ward Chamberlain...........What is your point?

I could turn it around and say Michael Moore, Cindy Sheehan, Ward Chamberlain...........What is your point?

LOL! That is exactly my point. Pols use people for political gain, period. I'm stupefied when it is only Repubs or Dems that are villains.

when my other examples don't make sense to you, it just further proves my point, guy.

ps. Ward Chamberlain was used by the right, not the left.

niftydrifty said:
LOL! That is exactly my point. Pols use people for political gain, period. I'm stupefied when it is only Repubs or Dems that are villains.

when my other examples don't make sense to you, it just further proves my point, guy.

ps. Ward Chamberlain was used by the right, not the left.

So both sides do it...........why bring it up? What is your point?:confused:

my point is that you are an irrational partisan, whom exercises extraordinary double-standards daily.

Navy Pride said:
So both sides do it...........why bring it up?

Because it's not just democrats.

niftydrifty said:
my point is that you are an irrational partisan, whom exercises extraordinary double-standards daily.

I have a clue for you...........Everyone that participates in this forum whether they be democrat or republican, conservative or liberal are irrational partisan pundits.......If they were not the probably would not be here.....

The only difference is some of us admit it where some are in a state of denial.......:roll:

Now can we get back on topic instead of attacking other members?

Navy Pride said:
I have a clue for you...........Everyone that participates in this forum whether they be democrat or republican, conservative or liberal are irrational partisan pundits.......If they were not the probably would not be here.....

The only difference is some of us admit it where some are in a state of denial.......:roll:

Now can we get back on topic instead of attacking other members?

Not everyone fits into your classifications of liberal and conservative. It's a scary world where everyone has different ideas, but it's the one we live it. You would do well to get use to it.

-Demosthenes- said:
Not everyone fits into your classifications of liberal and conservative. It's a scary world where everyone has different ideas, but it's the one we live it. You would do well to get use to it.

McCain is a Conservative and Obama is a huge Liberal.If you know anything about politics there is no way you could agree with both of them...........

niftydrifty said:
I love it how you framed this thing. The Democrats are dirty liars. But Rush just honestly fell into a DemocRat trap. :roll:

And you post it in the "bias in the media" forum. What does this have to do with bias in the media? Rush's bias?

You misrepresent my post.

Make no mistake, Rush Limbaugh is an egotistical, fat, pompus, hypocritical rabid right wing Conservative whose comments regarding Michael J. Fox were inexcuseable. He was completely wrong for ever mentioning how Michael J. Fox LOOKED physically in the commercial. How he looked, although part of what the DNC PR people were going for, was not and is NOT the issue that should be challenged!

All that honestlybeing said about Rush, his actions do not take away from the fact that what Fox and the DNC aired was BS and that the Pompous @$$hole DID fall into the DNC's trap by inexcuseably attacking the way Fox LOOKED!

What does it have to do with media Bias? This:

The liberally biased media jumped both feet in Limbaugh's grill, rightfully so, about his calous, boorish remarks but not 1 dared challenge the BS MESSAGE the DNC and Fox were pushing!

By all rights, the media should have hammered BOTH Limbaugh AND Fox/the DNC. Didn't happen, though - Limbaugh (The republican/Conservative) is rightfully (in this case) 'flayed' while the Democrats get a free pass by the biased media!

The Liberal Biased Media

easyt65 said:
By all rights, the media should have hammered BOTH Limbaugh AND Fox/the DNC. Didn't happen, though - Limbaugh (The republican/Conservative) is rightfully (in this case) 'flayed' while the Democrats get a free pass by the biased media!

hi easyt, good post. thanks for straightening me out.

however, I would like to point out to you that the media, ALL of the media, for the most part, er, ... or rather, nearly all of the time, rarely, if ever, challenges the factual merit of statements made by anyone.

in interview shows, a question is asked. an answer is given. a follow up question challenging the interviewee's answer doesn't follow. (oh, except on rare occassions, such as the now famous Wallace/Clinton interview.)

The President gives a SOTU address. Was anything he said clearly not true? you won't hear this, but you will hear what pundits thought about it. (and their remarks will go unchallenged).

it's true we do hear about appearances. and trivialities. and wedge issues instead of other arguably more impacting issues. but this is the media. the whole media, nearly all the time.

it doesn't 'prove' liberal bias.

Back
Top Bottom