• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats vote to nominate Nancy Pelosi for House speaker

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Washington (CNN)House Democrats overwhelmingly picked Nancy Pelosi to be their nominee for House speaker on Wednesday at a closed-door meeting, bringing the long-time Democratic leader one step closer to reclaiming the gavel when Democrats take control of the House of Representatives in the new year.

Pelosi was nominated as speaker by House Democrats by a 203-32 vote, according to attendees in the room. Three ballots were blank. One was absent.

Source: (CNN) Democrats vote to nominate Nancy Pelosi for House speaker

I don't think there was ever too much doubt of today's outcome.

And I believe for the Dems, it is in their best interests.

Let’s see who challenges her for the seat.

She'll be unopposed on the Democratic side. There are several Democrats who ran on a pledge not to vote for her. I don't see them voting Republican so they'll have to abstain. The vote will be close because of that.

Now her work REALLY begins...trying to round up the necessary votes to get elected Speaker.

I have confidence she'll succeed.
I suspect by getting the nomination 203-32, she is pretty likely to get the seat. There's 15 Democrats though, that now are in a position to extricate favors. I suspect they'll get them.

Today's very unsurprising news.

She'll win. I don't care for the woman at all but I do believe she's the right person for the job. Say what you will, the lady is a very shrewd politician.
I very much agree, including the bolded.

Of course, the bolded is in large part why the Republicans hate her.

What will definitely be interesting, will be the dynamics between Pelosi & Trump. Unless Trump can work with her, his Presidency has come to a legislative close. He's going to find that in the political arena, he may not be the master negotiator he believes he is in the world of real-estate. And in her, he might meet his match.

Source: (CNN) Democrats vote to nominate Nancy Pelosi for House speaker

I don't think there was ever too much doubt of today's outcome.

And I believe for the Dems, it is in their best interests.

Agree there was never much if any doubt. As an older liberal of the boomer generation not sure she resonates with the younger generation though. The younger progressives would not call me a liberal today! Just think it is time to turn over the baton to the next generation. They are the future,even if some of their thoughts may not resonate with a previous generation.

The youngest party being represent by the oldest people.

Sigh, Democrats just don't learn.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Democrats vote to nominate Nancy Pelosi for House speaker
The bumbling liberal/Demos continues to trip over themselves.

Agree there was never much if any doubt. As an older liberal of the boomer generation not sure she resonates with the younger generation though. The younger progressives would not call me a liberal today! Just think it is time to turn over the baton to the next generation. They are the future,even if some of their thoughts may not resonate with a previous generation.
I agree with the need to change the guard. But for the next two critical years, given the circumstances, I have little doubt Pelosi is the right person for this 2 year interim period.

The bumbling liberal/Demos continues to trip over themselves.
Yep. They just bumbled & tripped their way into the House in a wave ...

She presided over one of the largest electoral losses in House history, so, bravo.

What will definitely be interesting, will be the dynamics between Pelosi & Trump. Unless Trump can work with her, his Presidency has come to a legislative close. He's going to find that in the political arena, he may not be the master negotiator he believes he is in the world of real-estate. And in her, he might meet his match.

Trump is a lifelong Democrat. He can work with her. But I doubt she can, or wants to, work with him. I don't see that we're going to experience another Tip O'Neill/Ronald Reagan or Newt Gingrich/Bill Clinton cooperation. Trump is just too unlikeable.

No Democrat is challenging her, and most of the members of the group opposing her have peeled off and now support her. The only alternative to Pelosi will be a Republican being speaker, and Democrats won't do that.

The youngest party being represent by the oldest people.

Sigh, Democrats just don't learn.

That's the problem with both parties.

I agree she's too old. The old guard. But if I was a Democrat, I'd want to see her there. This isn't the time for some neophyte to try to test the waters.

No Democrat is challenging her, and most of the members of the group opposing her have peeled off and now support her. The only alternative to Pelosi will be a Republican being speaker, and Democrats won't do that.

Any democrat that votes for a Republican Speaker of the house is willingly committing an act of political suicide.

She'll win. I don't care for the woman at all but I do believe she's the right person for the job. Say what you will, the lady is a very shrewd politician.

Red:
Though she's not among my "BFFs," the Nancy Pelosi I know is intelligent, sober, affable, gracious, resolute, consummate, and adroit...Those are the qualities one wants in a leader, friend, acquaintance, associate, etc. of anything, and at any level. So, yes, she's fit for the job of House Speaker.

Is there another Dem in the House who's equally or better fit the position and wants it? Not that I know of.

I wonder if she'll cooperate with Trump more than Boehner cooperated with Obama?

I like Pelosi, but I'm wondering if she's having some health problems. After the capture of the House, after the mid-term results, there was a lot of stuttering in her follow-up speech.

She presided over one of the largest electoral losses in House history, so, bravo.

But there's always that Trump foot-in-the-mouth disease that will make her look good. I wonder if she'll start Tweeting?

Do I want to party with her? absolutely not. She's boring and stiff. the only person I can think of that might be close to that boring is Andrew Cuomo. But I don't need to wowed to buy an effective product and both are quite effective. We currently have a president who wows people but like most "As seen on TV" crap, it doesn't work as advertised if at all. BUT WAIT! If you order now we can through in religious zealot for free.

That's the problem with both parties.

I agree she's too old. The old guard. But if I was a Democrat, I'd want to see her there. This isn't the time for some neophyte to try to test the waters.
We will have to disagree on this. Even if you looked at people 10 years younger than Pelosi, you'd still be looking at Baby Boomers!

Democrats have completely failed to understand their base even when it is responsible for bringing them back to power. Even as Democrats are elected right and left because they DON'T represent the rest of the old guard, the DC leadership has done everything in its power to ignore the voices that aren't Pelosi, Schumer and Ellison.

2020 will prove at least one of us right.

Back
Top Bottom