• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats vote to nominate Nancy Pelosi for House speaker

No I am complaining against a certain group of Pelosi’s critics who chose not to run when they had the opportunity

This is still Clinton Corp's party, you can be sure that threats from power were involved in keeping people in line.

If the Democrats manage to make Trump lose in 2020, I'll be happy.

They should look to newer leadership. I agree. There are a lot of younger and attractive (not physically necessarily) people they can look to. Both sides.

I'm the last of the Baby Boomers.
I understand. It's not a personal problem with the baby boomers, I'm sure most are good people, though they are also the most responsible for the current mess of a planet we have.

The problem for me is really this: I have had a number of surgeries. If 80% of my doctors were 60-80 years olds I would look at the other 20% to operate on me.

This doesn't happen in politics. Well, it did. Obama was the last 'young' president we have had. Trump is old enough to remember when the stock market was a ****ing strip of paper - so is Pelosi.

Yeah, no bye with all of them.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

There was talk, but no real challenge to her.

Those who spoke of other options had no alternative choice ready.
Yeah, it's like:

"Hey, we only need 19 of us to stop her!"

"Great! How many does it take to put one of ours in?"

"218"

"Oh ... "

:lamo

Yeah, it's like:

"Hey, we only need 19 of us to stop her!"

"Great! How many does it take to put one of ours in?"

"218"

"Oh ... "

:lamo
I dislike the group that opposed her from the right.

She needs to be pushed to the left more, not pulled back to the right.

Of course they have re-elections to think of, maybe there was some unspoken or behind the scenes deal where they could oppose her for that purpose and she'd let it slide.

This is... um, uhhh... what I'm saying is that um... uh... that, um... this is just what the doc- um, just what the... um... this is uh, good news.

We'll see if this is best, she is sort of the old school status quo Republocrat and I think there is interest within the DNC's voting ranks to get something a bit more than status quo. But I suppose we shall see what happens.
I think she's the right person for the 2 year interim, but believe we need a changing of the guard longterm, from the old to the new.

But she can, and will, negotiate in a Dem-positive manner with Trump. She will not be pushed around, or conned. And I think that's an important attribute for the next 2 years.

Here's something I wrote in another thread, with emphasis added for here:

Most impressive to me is those 400 statehouse seats. That's impressive. 7 governorships, too. This is grass-roots bottom-up stuff, especially looking at all the new-comers & neophytes.

I realize the Dems need Pelosi at this time, but they've got to let the new-comers' revolution grow. They've just got to. We're talking of the party reflecting a fundamental change in the country, that is coming and unstoppable. Trump and the recent Red rise to power, is in my opinion the last desperate gasp of the old ways, that was brought about by a unique set of circumstances that temporarily set us back 4 decades or more. But now here today and into the future, the Dems have the potential to harness the wave of the future, a wave that will not be denied. I hope they recognize it, and execute into it.

Remember: Starting last year for the first time, more non-Caucasian births are occurring in the States than Caucasian. America; she's a changing!

I very much agree, including the bolded.

Of course, the bolded is in large part why the Republicans hate her.

What will definitely be interesting, will be the dynamics between Pelosi & Trump. Unless Trump can work with her, his Presidency has come to a legislative close. He's going to find that in the political arena, he may not be the master negotiator he believes he is in the world of real-estate. And in her, he might meet his match.

As opposed to before the Dem's got the house? He managed to get unpopular tax cuts (how do you even manage that?) and what else? Everything else on any list of accomplishments I've seen involved no input from the house. Appointing judges, rolling back regulations, pulling out of treaties, being a gigantic dick on twitter etc.

There's a reason that conservatives are so happy about the judges. It's almost the only thing that Trump has done that can't be immediately undone as soon as he's out of office.

I think she's the right person for the 2 year interim, but believe we need a changing of the guard longterm, from the old to the new.

But she can, and will, negotiate in a Dem-positive manner with Trump. She will not be pushed around, or conned. And I think that's an important attribute for the next 2 years.

Here's something I wrote in another thread, with emphasis added for here:

I have two words for these youthful newcomers thinking that they can lead the Democratic Party better then an old guard political figure like Nancy Pelosi: Paul Ryan

Paul Ryan was the Republican boy-wonder, the youthful face of a triumphant Republican majority. His tenure as House speaker was a unmitigated disaster. Paul Ryan did not have the leadership experience necessary to be an effective speaker of the house.

Remember: Starting last year for the first time, more non-Caucasian births are occurring in the States than Caucasian. America; she's a changing!

That's why I have like 4 mistresses, gotta keep the numbers up

Hahahah

j/k, I'm highly educated, so I only have one kid.

As opposed to before the Dem's got the house? He managed to get unpopular tax cuts (how do you even manage that?) and what else? Everything else on any list of accomplishments I've seen involved no input from the house. Appointing judges, rolling back regulations, pulling out of treaties, being a gigantic dick on twitter etc.

There's a reason that conservatives are so happy about the judges. It's almost the only thing that Trump has done that can't be immediately undone as soon as he's out of office.
That's why I carefully chose the words, "legislative close".

You're right with the judges. But even the tax bill was done through reconciliation. The Repubs will not have that option any more. Things not legislated are subject to be overturned during the next Dem presidential tenure, quite possibly 2020. In addition, Trump will now be subject to Congressional oversight, which will further stymie him.

But the main takeaway, will be he will never pass legislation without Dem input. And it's legislation, as you see with the corporate tax cut, that is lasting.

Source: (CNN) Democrats vote to nominate Nancy Pelosi for House speaker

I don't think there was ever too much doubt of today's outcome.

And I believe for the Dems, it is in their best interests.

I don't know about that, in their best interest that is. Personally, I think a younger, new generation fresh face was what was needed. This brings back politics as usual. That is what brought about Trump. Trump was the wrong messenger for those tired as politics as usual, but a result of it. This midterm, we killed the messenger of change from the politics as usual as his character, personality, persona if you will was and is so vulgar that we went back to where we didn't want to go.

I think come 2022, that desire to be rid of politics as usual will be in the forefront once again. Perhaps even in 2020 if Trump decides not to run again. A fresh young face with fresh ideas that knows what tact is, knows how to act presidential instead of a 70 something year old, temper tantrum throwing, name calling like a five year old child whose parents forgot to teach him any manners.

I have no doubt Pelosi will rule with an iron hand, getting all the votes she needs when she needs them. Even if it means having those democratic representatives going against the wishes of the people back home in their districts. She did exactly that in 2010 with the ACA, you know what happened in November of that year.

I wish her luck, I hope she allows this time her Democratic representatives to be more representative of the people who elected them than her or the Democratic Party. But I also think there is no way.

That's why I have like 4 mistresses, gotta keep the numbers up

Hahahah

j/k, I'm highly educated, so I only have one kid.
:mrgreen:

I've always heard: "I smart man thinks of marriage ... "

I don't know about that, in their best interest that is. Personally, I think a younger, new generation fresh face was what was needed. This brings back politics as usual. That is what brought about Trump. Trump was the wrong messenger for those tired as politics as usual, but a result of it. This midterm, we killed the messenger of change from the politics as usual as his character, personality, persona if you will was and is so vulgar that we went back to where we didn't want to go.

I think come 2022, that desire to be rid of politics as usual will be in the forefront once again. Perhaps even in 2020 if Trump decides not to run again. A fresh young face with fresh ideas that knows what tact is, knows how to act presidential instead of a 70 something year old, temper tantrum throwing, name calling like a five year old child whose parents forgot to teach him any manners.

I have no doubt Pelosi will rule with an iron hand, getting all the votes she needs when she needs them. Even if it means having those democratic representatives going against the wishes of the people back home in their districts. She did exactly that in 2010 with the ACA, you know what happened in November of that year.

I wish her luck, I hope she allows this time her Democratic representatives to be more representative of the people who elected them than her or the Democratic Party. But I also think there is no way.
Well, there is the danger of it backfiring, and you lay that out well.

I mainly feel the Dems need a tough, strong, savvy, smart, cunning negotiator, in the interim 2 years. I just hope I haven't bought into old-way thinking that dooms the party in 2020.

I have two words for these youthful newcomers thinking that they can lead the Democratic Party better then an old guard political figure like Nancy Pelosi: Paul Ryan

Paul Ryan was the Republican boy-wonder, the youthful face of a triumphant Republican majority. His tenure as House speaker was a unmitigated disaster. Paul Ryan did not have the leadership experience necessary to be an effective speaker of the house.
Agreed.

But it's a balancing act. Two years of fight & accomplishment by the seasoned veteran, vs setting-up for 2020 with the new-wave crowd. Pelosi will need to try to put-out some form of popular well-accepted legislative agenda, and either get it passed or put the GOP & Trump into positions of taking political hits for obstructing it. If she can do either, she will place a Dem 2020 presidential candidate in good staid. If not, yeah the whole thing can go south.

The bumbling liberal/Demos continues to trip over themselves.

It's probable that Pelosi will ultimately become the Democrat House version of the late Democrat Senator Robert (sheets) Byrd, who was rolled in on a wheelchair, likely wearing adult diapers for votes until he finally expired.

Source: (CNN) Democrats vote to nominate Nancy Pelosi for House speaker

I don't think there was ever too much doubt of today's outcome.

And I believe for the Dems, it is in their best interests.

So instead of a fresh face, the Dems will once again support the wrinkled old prune.

On the other hand, being able to paint Nutty Nancy as the face of the Democrat-controlled House should give the GOP material for 2020 congressional races.

Actually as much as I dislike Pelosi, it's a win for the republicans. She will be effective fodder for republicans to run against in the 2020 races.
So instead of a fresh face, the Dems will once again support the wrinkled old prune.

On the other hand, being able to paint Nutty Nancy as the face of the Democrat-controlled House should give the GOP material for 2020 congressional races.

That is very much the other side of the double-edged sword, that is pelosi.

But it's less important during a Presidential election, than a mid-term election, for several reasons:

1] There's more Dem voters than Repub voters
2] Dems come-out more strongly during Presidential election years
3] Dems are highly motivated against Trump

If the Dems are smart, they'll use Pelosi for this 2 year interim to embarrass the GOP and dice with Trump, then get new blood in 2020 to position themselves for 2022.

Gosh the GOP is thrilled Pelosi will be head of the House. :mrgreen: Shoot there's several incumbent dems who said to their constituents they would not support Pelosi yet they have already flipped. Guess their word is worthless. :mrgreen:

Now what the GOP needs to do is really highlight the ****hole known as Pelosi's district destroyed by leftist policies every day till the election in 2020. The massive number of homeless living on the streets using the sidewalks and streets to defecate. The rampant drug problem where addicts shoot up on the streets and in bus stations leaving their needles all over the place because they don't take border security seriously and cheap heroine is readily accessible. The massive amounts of trash left laying about. There are growing number of areas in San Fran that look like a third world country and have become a major health hazard and unfortunately it isn't the only area in California suffering the same problems. And the sad part is it is costing the state and cities millions upon millions just to clean up after these people when the money could have been spent in housing and shelters with bathrooms and workers to assist those addicted to drugs and assist those who need a job and assist those who need a roof over their head.

Yeah if I was in charge of the GOP, I would highlight every damn failed policy of the left and ask people if that is what they want coming to their neighborhoods. I believe the answer would be an overwhelming NO.

Back
Top Bottom