• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Democrats turn back on Iraq war Veteran running for the Senate.

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Is there trouble in paradise? The democrats dumped their darling Iraq war veteran Paul Hackett today who was running for the U.S. Senate in Ohio......

http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/2/14/112042.shtml?s=ic

Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2006 11:18 a.m. EST
Sens. Schumer, Reid Dump Iraq War Vet Candidate

Paul Hackett, an Iraq war veteran and vociferous critic of President George W. Bush, announced Monday that he was withdrawing his name from consideration for the Democratic nomination to the United States Senate from Ohio.

Hackett told the New York Times that Senators Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., and Harry Reid, D-Nev., pushed him aside for Rep. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio.

Hackett was facing Brown in the Democratic primary for the right to take on Republican incumbent Senator Mike DeWine.

"I made this decision reluctantly,” he said in a statement, "only after repeated requests from party leaders as well as behind-the-scenes machinations that were intended to hurt my campaign.”

Hackett explained those "behind-the-scenes machinations” to the Times, claiming Democratic leaders had been calling his donors and urging them to stop supporting his candidacy.
He told the Times he felt betrayed. "For me, this is a second betrayal,” he said. "First, my government misused and mismanaged the military in Iraq, and now my own party is afraid to support candidates like me.”

Hackett gained prominence last year with a failed bid for the United States House of Representatives, when he became the first veteran of the current Iraq war to run for national office.

He offered biting commentary on the Bush administration and social conservatives, at one point comparing the religious right to Osama bin Laden. And he refused to back down. "I said it. I meant it. I stand behind it,” he replied to Republican requests for an apology.

Mike Lyon, executive director for the Band of Brothers, a group pushing Democratic veterans for Congress, told the Times it was bad strategy for Democrats to push Hackett away.

"Alienating Hackett is not just a bad idea for the party,” he said, "but it also sends a chill through the rest of the 56 or so veterans that we’ve worked to run for Congress. Now is a time for Democrats to be courting, not blocking, veterans who want to run.”
But Markos Moulitsas, founder of the liberal blog The Daily Kos, offered a more pragmatic analysis.

Ha, what else do you expect from another one of these conservative crazies. You didn't quote the entire article, Navy dude! You left off the one thing that actually was pro-liberal! Never let the facts get in the way of a good Democrat bashing, eh?

This was left off:

"Bottom line,” Moulitsas wrote, "Hackett didn’t stand a chance (in the primary), he wasn’t backstabbed by his party since Brown’s candidacy was announced before his was … and the party wasn’t out to (get) him.”

Exactly. A perfect explanation. Why put a veteran through a primary when he can't win? Let's say it gets heated, and he actually may win (which was very unlikely). The other leading Democrat is in a lose-lose. He doesn't go negative, he'll probably lose. He goes negative, wins the primary, and the Republican pulls his conservative trick and attacks him for bashing an Iraq veteran, and says he doesn't support the troops.

It was a good decision.

Mickeytrout11 said:
Ha, what else do you expect from another one of these conservative crazies. You didn't quote the entire article, Navy dude! You left off the one thing that actually was pro-liberal! Never let the facts get in the way of a good Democrat bashing, eh?

This was left off:

"Bottom line,” Moulitsas wrote, "Hackett didn’t stand a chance (in the primary), he wasn’t backstabbed by his party since Brown’s candidacy was announced before his was … and the party wasn’t out to (get) him.”

Exactly. A perfect explanation. Why put a veteran through a primary when he can't win? Let's say it gets heated, and he actually may win (which was very unlikely). The other leading Democrat is in a lose-lose. He doesn't go negative, he'll probably lose. He goes negative, wins the primary, and the Republican pulls his conservative trick and attacks him for bashing an Iraq veteran, and says he doesn't support the troops.

It was a good decision.

Yes but the recruited and encouraged him to run last year against Shimidt......They also wanted him to run for the Senate.....Now they dump him like a hot potato just like far left liberals do with all veterans that don't suit their purpose............

Gimme a break. Would Republicans do the same in this situation? Absolutely. In the world of politics, everybody plays politics. It's not an insult anymore.

By the way, if you read my previous post, you see there are excellent reasons for why this guy was dropped.

And it probably is because they were afraid of some conservative acting like you and playing up the "He's a veteran" angle. You just did it.

Navy Pride said:
Yes but the recruited and encouraged him to run last year against Shimidt......They also wanted him to run for the Senate.....Now they dump him like a hot potato just like far left liberals do with all veterans that don't suit their purpose............

Oh since when did you give a rat's ass about Paul Hackett? FYI, he's more of a "far left liberal" than Sherrod Brown.

If the shoe was on the other foot and they'd dumped Sherrod Brown for this guy, you'd be bitching about how the Democrats are willing to sell out the moderates to appear like they support the troops. Stop pretending like this offends you, and just admit that you're just using it as another excuse to slur all Democrats.

Last edited:
Kandahar said:
Oh since when did you give a rat's ass about Paul Hackett? FYI, he's more of a "far left liberal" than Sherrod Brown.

If the shoe was on the other foot and they'd dumped Sherrod Brown for this guy, you'd be bitching about how the Democrats are willing to sell out the moderates to appear like they support the troops. Stop pretending like this offends you, and just admit that you're just using it as another excuse to slur all Democrats.

I just hate to see a Veteran get the dirty end of the stick like usually happens with democrats.....

Navy Pride said:
Is there trouble in paradise? The democrats dumped their darling Iraq war veteran Paul Hackett today who was running for the U.S. Senate in Ohio......

Paul Hackett, an Iraq war veteran and vociferous critic of President George W. Bush, announced Monday that he was withdrawing his name from consideration for the Democratic nomination to the United States Senate from Ohio.

Hackett told the New York Times that Senators Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., and Harry Reid, D-Nev., pushed him aside for Rep. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio.

Hackett was facing Brown in the Democratic primary for the right to take on Republican incumbent Senator Mike DeWine.

"I made this decision reluctantly,” he said in a statement, "only after repeated requests from party leaders as well as behind-the-scenes machinations that were intended to hurt my campaign.”

Hackett explained those "behind-the-scenes machinations” to the Times, claiming Democratic leaders had been calling his donors and urging them to stop supporting his candidacy.
He told the Times he felt betrayed. "For me, this is a second betrayal,” he said. "First, my government misused and mismanaged the military in Iraq, and now my own party is afraid to support candidates like me.”

Hackett gained prominence last year with a failed bid for the United States House of Representatives, when he became the first veteran of the current Iraq war to run for national office.

He offered biting commentary on the Bush administration and social conservatives, at one point comparing the religious right to Osama bin Laden. And he refused to back down. "I said it. I meant it. I stand behind it,” he replied to Republican requests for an apology.

Mike Lyon, executive director for the Band of Brothers, a group pushing Democratic veterans for Congress, told the Times it was bad strategy for Democrats to push Hackett away.

"Alienating Hackett is not just a bad idea for the party,” he said, "but it also sends a chill through the rest of the 56 or so veterans that we’ve worked to run for Congress. Now is a time for Democrats to be courting, not blocking, veterans who want to run.”
But Markos Moulitsas, founder of the liberal blog The Daily Kos, offered a more pragmatic analysis.

The guy was too moderate for their tastes. They'd rather have a flaming left winger in there than some moderate that might agree with republicans, from time to time.

Navy Pride said:
I just hate to see a Veteran get the dirty end of the stick like usually happens with democrats.....

And most of the time, who's fault is that? It wasn't Democrats that attacked the war records of John McCain, John Kerry, and Max Cleland.

Last edited:
Navy Pride said:

I'm very upset with the way Schumer especially and to a lesser extent Reid handled Hackett. I know from a pragmatic point of view you want to support the person w/ the best chance of winning, but I like Paul a lot. He's very naive when it comes to politics. In an interview with The Nation, he didn't even know what the DLC is. But that's part of his charm too.

I don't know too much about Sherrod Brown, who is getting the nod instead of Hackett. Brown seems to be a stand up guy, and had 10 times the money that Hackett did. We all know how important money is unfortunately. The main goal for the Dems is to unseat Dewine, who is very vulnerable. What troubles me is that Hackett originally said he wouldn't run if Brown was going to. Brown said he wasn't in the race and Hackett got in w/ the support of Reid and Shumer. When Brown changed his mind, Hackett was asked to step aside.

Hackett could still run for Congress - he's probably better suited for there anyway. But, he gave his word that he would not, and other candidates have entered the race because of Hackett's decision.

Hackett gave a nice interview to Ed Shultz here if you're interested:
http://audio.wegoted.com/podcasting/21406Hackett.mp3

Last edited:
Donkey1499 said:
The guy was too moderate for their tastes. They'd rather have a flaming left winger in there than some moderate that might agree with republicans, from time to time.

Sigh
What are you people smoking? Paul Hackett is exactly what you folks would describe as a "flaming left winger." Sherrod Brown is by far the more moderate of the two.

Get your facts straight before you start a bitchfest.

Donkey1499 said:

Your probably right I just think its wrong for the leaders in the democratic party to encourage him to run then stab him in the back...........

Kandahar said:
Sigh
What are you people smoking? Paul Hackett is exactly what you folks would describe as a "flaming left winger." Sherrod Brown is by far the more moderate of the two.

Get your facts straight before you start a bitchfest.

Hackett's a straight shooter - I know that rubs people the wrong way sometimes. I like that "Harry Truman" style personally.

Kandahar said:
And most of the time, who's fault is that? It wasn't Democrats that attacked the war records of John McCain, John Kerry, and Max Cleland.

Ahh I don't know anyone who attacked McCains war record and I think it was more Clelland's voting record......

Who was the clown that stood at the podium and declared reporting for duty with the most questionable military record of any candidate ever.......:roll:

hipsterdufus said:
Hackett's a straight shooter - I know that rubs people the wrong way sometimes. I like that "Harry Truman" style personally.

hips, with all due respect Hackett is no Harry "Give em hell" Truman.........

Navy Pride said:
Ahh I don't know anyone who attacked McCains war record and I think it was more Clelland's voting record......

Who was the clown that stood at the podium and declared reporting for duty with the most questionable military record of any candidate ever.......:roll:

Are you serious? All three: McCain, Cleland & Kerry had their war record denagrated by either the Swift Boat Vets, or in Cleland's and McCain's case, the douche bag that ended up forming the Swifties.

Whether you liked Kerry or not - trashing the service record of a vet should be out of bounds. Period.

Of course Hackett isn't Truman, nowhere close, - I just like that style. It's the same reason I like McCain and Dean.

hipsterdufus said:
Are you serious? All three: McCain, Cleland & Kerry had their war record denagrated by either the Swift Boat Vets, or in Cleland's and McCain's case, the douche bag that ended up forming the Swifties.

Whether you liked Kerry or not - trashing the service record of a vet should be out of bounds. Period.

Of course Hackett isn't Truman, nowhere close, - I just like that style. It's the same reason I like McCain and Dean.

What Republicans attacked McCain's war record?:confused:

What Republicans attacked Clelland's war record........They attacked his voting record on one of the trade bills......

If Kerry is such a war and military hero please ask him to sign his form 180 that he said he would sign and release over a year ago and still has not done it that details his medals and awards and who authorized them.............

He will never do that........

Navy Pride said:
What Republicans attacked McCain's war record?:confused:

What Republicans attacked Clelland's war record........They attacked his voting record on one of the trade bills......

If Kerry is such a war and military hero please ask him to sign his form 180 that he said he would sign and release over a year ago and still has not done it that details his medals and awards and who authorized them.............

He will never do that........

Kerry deserves no respect! After the way he bad-mouthed the Vietnam Vets; he might as well be in bed with Jane Fonda and the other like-breed.

Donkey1499 said:
Kerry deserves no respect! After the way he bad-mouthed the Vietnam Vets; he might as well be in bed with Jane Fonda and the other like-breed.

Kerry owes and apology to all Vietnam Vets for his outrageous actions after he came back from Nam but don't hold your breath becasue it ain't gonna happen.....

Navy Pride said:
Kerry owes and apology to all Vietnam Vets for his outrageous actions after he came back from Nam but don't hold your breath becasue it ain't gonna happen.....

My great-grand kids will grow old before Kerry would ever apologize, but then he'll be dead, Hopefully!

Why sure, & they got what mileage they could get out of Hackett too. They liked the idea of one of their own wearing a uniform "when" it suited them!

The democrats threw him under the bus, ..cause' in actuality they really do not care to see that uniform which is a symbol of American imperialism, ..at least in their eyes that are "crossed".:smile:

Hackett had a reasonably good chance to help shore up strength in Ohio for the democratic party too; ..but you just gotta know the democratic party leadership had to bend more to what the "liberals" wanted.

Huh huh...they still have yet to learn the liberals are taking them down the wrong road, & there will be more democratic party defeats.

Oh well, ..maybe the whackos in the democratic party can continue to sell the notion that all their defeats are because of "fixed" elections; ..I mean what the hell they have done a pretty good job of selling that line while they remain "oblivious" as to why they keep losing.;)

The Bush hating, & idiotic conspiracy theories, & always trying to help create a scandal is not gonna get the democrats where they "think" its gonna get them.

As usual they will be left asking themselves "why" when they lose again in 08'! I doubt there will be much of a change in any of the 06' mid term congressional races either.

Democrats a great on namecalling, destructive critiscism, scapegoating, & playing dumb, ..but short on ideas unless it has anything to do with institutionalizing liberalism!

Its the very nature of a defunct party that has painted itself into a corner, & is incapable of healing itself!;)

It is obvious that Reid and Schumer threw Hackett to the dogs. Hackett went to Brown and was told that he had free reign to run for the office. Only after Hackett put together a campaign and started raising money did Brown announce he was back in the race.

Hackett was on Hardball a few days ago and blasted Brown and the Democratic machine. He said Brown released photos supposedly showing Hackett committing war crimes.

Even the loonies in DUmmieland are going nuts over this screwup.

Hopefully now DeWine will retain his Senate seat and another Republican will win Brown's Congressional seat.

I like Dewine...He is a straight shooter and I believe he has and excellent chance to retain his senate seat........I would have love to see him run against Hackett though..................Matthews made him look like a real rookie on Hardball the other day.......

Navy Pride said:

I will always disagree with you on what I call the Swiftboat Smear Boys, as shown in your sig, but on this post, I have to agree with you completely. Hackett did a lot for the Democrats last year, and they kicked him to the curb for his efforts. It was shameful.

Navy Pride said:

That's not even the whole story apparently their are incriminating photographs of this Hacket guy which show him committing war crimes. It's funny how the fringe left always loves to show off their token veterans but for some reason they always turn out to be war criminals, IE, John Kerry.

Last edited:
danarhea said:
I will always disagree with you on what I call the Swiftboat Smear Boys, as shown in your sig, but on this post, I have to agree with you completely. Hackett did a lot for the Democrats last year, and they kicked him to the curb for his efforts. It was shameful.

It is my opinon the the Swiftboat Vets and the Prisoners of war (several medal of honor winners) are the main reason your boy did not get elected president....I contributed $100. to their cause and it was the best investment I have ever made...........To besmirch these men who several of were democrats becasue you disagree withe them is outrageous.........

That said I am glad you agree on Hackett..........Personally I would have love to see him run........I think Dewine would have eathen his lunch...........

Back
Top Bottom