• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats starting to panic

Logical1

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Since Pelosi was a no show at the white house to try to compromise on the wall, democrats lose face and are starting to panic. That gave the President ammo to show that it is the democrats that are prolonging the shut down. Everyone can see this.

Since Pelosi was a no show at the white house to try to compromise on the wall, democrats lose face and are starting to panic. That gave the President ammo to show that it is the democrats that are prolonging the shut down. Everyone can see this.

Yes Nancy is so panicked that she just withdrew Trumps invite for his State of the Union. He's not welcome at the Capital unless he reopens the Govt. More blame Trump for the shutdown at every poll and his approval is at historic lows and dropping. I won't be long before Senate Republicans have no choice but to end this without Trump or face losing their seats. Meanwhile Trump is losing his base.over this.....

The increase in disapproval for the President comes primarily among whites without college degrees, 45% of whom approve and 47% disapprove, marking the first time his approval rating with this group has been underwater in CNN polling since February 2018. In December, his approval rating with whites who have not received a four-year degree stood at 54%, with 39% disapproval.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/13/politics/cnn-poll-shutdown-trump/index.html

Last edited:

Is this a feeling, prediction, based in observations, what you got?

Obviously you do not follow the polls. Trump/GOP are getting crushed.

Only if you forget very, very recent history, captured on video.

But then again, to be a repub, one must have a very short memory.

Yes Nancy is so panicked that she just withdrew Trumps invite for his State of the Union. He's not welcome at the Capital unless he reopens the Govt. More blame Trump for the shutdown at every poll and his approval is at historic lows and dropping. I won't be long before Senate Republicans have no choice but to end this without Trump or face losing their seats. Meanwhile Trump is losing his base.over this.....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/13/politics/cnn-poll-shutdown-trump/index.html

"He's not welcome at the Capital!" Since when?

Where does her job description say she has the authority to stop a state of the union address?

Did you learn of this panic at gateway Pundit or Zero Hedge?

Where does her job description say she has the authority to stop a state of the union address?

She has the authority to not invite Trump to deliver it in congress. He can deliver it from the oval office. Don't worry I'm sure there are extra hamburgers left. :lamo

She can’t stop him from giving a State of the Union address but she can certainly prevent it from being given in the House chambers. Both the House and the Senate have to pass a resolution “inviting” the President to give the address there at a particular date and time. Nancy could prevent such a resolution from being voted on. It would certainly be petty under normal circumstances. But with the government shutdown and the VERY high security requirements for a joint session SOTU address, her point has some logistical merit.

She has the authority to not invite Trump to deliver it in congress. He can deliver it from the oval office. Don't worry I'm sure there are extra hamburgers left. :lamo

That one made me chuckle even though I really didn't care about the fast food thing.

You are absolutely right. To be honest, I did not give Pelosi enough credit here. I didn't think of this strategy and it's a smart one. Technically, he can give the SOTU anywhere, but it's absolutely unheard of for the invite not to come. Why, though, if they can't manage to pass a budget together, should she hand the Capital's podium to him as if they were still a united force?

I think Trump invited and incited the shutdown, but the Dems walked right in and seized the opportunity, putting politics over functioning government. I'm not so quick to let Trump hold all the credit. However, now it's all down to who can make who bend first. This was a good move on Pelosi's part.

Polls show otherwise.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...pite-his-blaming-democrats-poll-idUSKCN1P92QV

More than half of Americans blame U.S. President Donald Trump for the partial federal government shutdown, despite his repeatedly faulting Democratic lawmakers, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Tuesday

And Pelosi did this and Hilary did that and Chuck went that way and then Pelosi went the other way and...yes.....Trump wins!

You guys can make a double end around reverse play ending with a pass back to the QB look like a fullback dive up the middle.

Dream on!

She can’t stop him from giving a State of the Union address but she can certainly prevent it from being given in the House chambers. Both the House and the Senate have to pass a resolution “inviting” the President to give the address there at a particular date and time. Nancy could prevent such a resolution from being voted on. It would certainly be petty under normal circumstances. But with the government shutdown and the VERY high security requirements for a joint session SOTU address, her point has some logistical merit.

My first thought when I heard this was that it was an attempt at reverse psychology. Trump giving a State of the Union address during the longest government shutdown in history is poised to be a political blunder, especially given Trump's wrath and his penchant for babbling. What better way to ensure he will give the angriest State of the Union possible during the shutdown? Have Nancy Pelosi "forbid" him to do it.

Thanks for the information.
It doesn't look like her "power movement" has any merit since national security is already in place for the event at the House Chambers. She was just puffing out her chest feathers.
Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/16/homeland-security-ready-to-protect-trumps-state-of-the-union-.html

Nancy is the 3rd most powerful person in our Govt. according to the Constitution. Trump is only welcome in the Capital are her discretion. He is banned from holding his State of the Union there.

Well the public overwhelming disagrees with you and is laying the blame for the Trump Shutdown at the feet of Trump and the GOP.

Well the public overwhelming disagrees with you and is laying the blame for the Trump Shutdown at the feet of Trump and the GOP.

It's all Pelosi's fault. And that pull cord that broke on my blower - her fault too.

Besides, most people can predict what Nancy's gonna say and do before she knows what she's gonna say and do. She goes to bed every night wondering what she can do to jerk Trump's chain. This is very petty on her part, and it reminds me of all those institutes of higher learning who censor speech by this or that person based on differing political beliefs - whether left or right. It's all childish and petty, I have a few other more sinister descriptions of the censorship thing if it's carried far enough, too. I bet you're dying to hear them, too.

My first thought when I heard this was that it was an attempt at reverse psychology. Trump giving a State of the Union address during the longest government shutdown in history is poised to be a political blunder, especially given Trump's wrath and his penchant for babbling. What better way to ensure he will give the angriest State of the Union possible during the shutdown? Have Nancy Pelosi "forbid" him to do it.

Reverse psychology was my initial reaction as well.

Nancy is the 3rd most powerful person in our Govt. according to the Constitution. Trump is only welcome in the Capital are her discretion. He is banned from holding his State of the Union there.

Can you show me who banned Trump from holding his S of U. address there, and when?

:lol:

It's all Pelosi's fault. And that pull cord that broke on my blower - her fault too.

Besides, most people can predict what Nancy's gonna say and do before she knows what she's gonna say and do. She goes to bed every night wondering what she can do to jerk Trump's chain. This is very petty on her part, and it reminds me of all those institutes of higher learning who censor speech by this or that person based on differing political beliefs - whether left or right. It's all childish and petty, I have a few other more sinister descriptions of the censorship thing if it's carried far enough, too. I bet you're dying to hear them, too.

Meh. I think you misjudge her. She is not trolling Trump just to troll him. She is not him. That is what he does to people. She is a partisan through and through. No doubt there. And she does what she believes is in the best interest of the Democratic Party, as is her responsibility as a party leader. Agree or disagree with her, but there is no question on her effectiveness.

lwf said:
Or... 'forbidding' the child to eat his green beans. Worked on me every time.

non-sequitur

To clarify, I was implying that, rather than puffing her feathers, Pelosi was engaging in reverse psychology: That she actually wants Trump to give an impassioned State of the Union address during the longest government shutdown in history, (which would likely backfire on him spectacularly) and was attempting to ensure that he did so by "forbidding" him from doing it.

To clarify, I was implying that, rather than puffing her feathers, Pelosi was engaging in reverse psychology: That she actually wants Trump to give an impassioned State of the Union address during the longest government shutdown in history, (which would likely backfire on him spectacularly) and was attempting to ensure that he did so by "forbidding" him from doing it.

Ok, I can respect your civility but disagree...
'We have to pass it to know what's in Pelosi' isn't bright enough to use reverse psychology.
The only reason she keeps getting elected is because of the Drain-CA. leftists who keep electing her.

Spot on !

Pelosi has proven to America not caring about the financial impact this shutdown has caused to the government employees and it's spreading. It's simple, the liberal/Demos can end this now and they will not.

Back
Top Bottom