• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats say Rangel should resign

Crunch

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
By LAURIE KELLMAN (AP) – 20 minutes ago

WASHINGTON — Calls for Rep. Charlie Rangel's resignation rained down on Capitol Hill late Friday from House Democrats who said more than a dozen ethics charges against the 20-term lawmaker showed a disregard for the rules and undermined the public's confidence in Congress.

The calls came as Democrats headed home for their monthlong recess wrestling with how to handle the tax and disclosure charges against Rangel back in their districts as election season loomed. Republicans, meanwhile, raced ahead with plans to make Rangel the face of corrupt Washington under the rule of Democrats who had vowed to clean up Congress.

For his part, Rangel met with perhaps his staunchest supporters, members of the New York state delegation, in the stately Capitol parlor named for the Ways and Means Committee that he headed until March.

"He indicated there was some sloppiness" in his official papers, Rep. Edolphus Towns, D-N.Y., told reporters, "but, you know, there's no criminality here."

House rules and credibility — not criminality — were the reasons cited by more than a half dozen House Democrats known to have called for Rangel's resignation by late afternoon Friday.

The Associated Press: Democrats say Rangel should resign

So more than a half dozen of these house critters are scared that they are going to lose their jobs?.... or maybe, just maybe they reached their gag limit with Charlie.

Or it could be that many of us democrats do not like corruption...

President Barack Obama has kept mum on the fate of Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY) for days -- but he tells CBS News that it's time for the embattled 80-year-old former Ways and Means Chairman to end his career "with dignity."

Obama: Time for Rangel to end career "with dignity" - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com
End a career spiced with a spree of corruption over the years with dignity?!
Does Obi think this stuff up himself, or is he force fed this drivel? How can someone with a laundry list of corruption charges exit with "dignity"?

LOL... Obviously Dems see this trial as another container load of nails for their political coffins, and they want to sink the Good Ship Rangel before it docks and unloads its damning cargo.

No, it's just because of this:
If Rangel and the ethics committee do not settle the case, it goes to a public trial this fall, at the height of an election season in which every member of the House, 36 in the Senate and the Democratic majorities of both chambers are on the line.

The Associated Press: Democrats say Rangel should resign

So more than a half dozen of these house critters are scared that they are going to lose their jobs?.... or maybe, just maybe they reached their gag limit with Charlie.

Big freakin' deal. Easy for them to "position themselves well." The panel that charged him recommended a "relatively mild" letter of rebuke. Bad-boy. Bad-boy. Give me a break.Nation/world news briefs: Just a reprimand recommended in Rangel case | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

I don't take any joy in this for quite a few reasons. First, Mr. Rangel is a Korean war veteran and did serve his country well at one time, secondly this isn't new or unigue to one politician as we have institutionalized bi-partisan corruption it seems and that is always bad for our country. Finally, Charlie Rangel actually seems to be a nice guy who I just disagree with and it seems he fell into the ethics trap that comes with getting away with too much for too long......seen it first hand in my industry and these things seem to get easier for people after getting away with the first minor wrong thing. It's kind of a shame really.

Corruption is corruption. It is time to go.

Corruption is corruption. It is time to go.

No, corruption is corruption if the person is convicted (which he aint yet), and then it should be time to go, but as we have seen from the Republicans, being convicted of a crime does not mean you have to resign before you go to jail. Remember Bob Ney?

No, corruption is corruption if the person is convicted (which he aint yet), and then it should be time to go, but as we have seen from the Republicans, being convicted of a crime does not mean you have to resign before you go to jail. Remember Bob Ney?

Yeah, we remember Bob Ney. We also remember that aside from him, the other, "corrupt", Republicans were simply guilty of ****ing, sucking **** and uttering an alledged racial slur that he made up off the top of this head.

It's no wonder Democrats want to give convicts the right to vote.

Yeah, we remember Bob Ney. We also remember that aside from him, the other, "corrupt", Republicans were simply guilty of ****ing, sucking **** and uttering an alledged racial slur that he made up off the top of this head.

It's no wonder Democrats want to give convicts the right to vote.

Cunningham? Funny how you forgot him.

I think Rangle and the rest of the Congressional Black Caucus all need to be serving 20 years in prison.

I think Rangle and the rest of the Congressional Black Caucus all need to be serving 20 years in prison.

I think all politicians convicted of corruption should be serving time in a real prison(not some white collar prison). Unlike most around here, that is all politicians, democrat and republican. I am not one of the many who see corruption as just another chance to score political points, I actually take it seriously.

I don't take any joy in this for quite a few reasons. First, Mr. Rangel is a Korean war veteran and did serve his country well at one time, secondly this isn't new or unigue to one politician as we have institutionalized bi-partisan corruption it seems and that is always bad for our country. Finally, Charlie Rangel actually seems to be a nice guy who I just disagree with and it seems he fell into the ethics trap that comes with getting away with too much for too long......seen it first hand in my industry and these things seem to get easier for people after getting away with the first minor wrong thing. It's kind of a shame really.

Another argument for term limits.

Another argument for term limits.
I am 50/50 on them but tend to think they would do more good than bad. The biggest concern I have against term limits is that one great statesman that would be forced to move on but then again it would probably wash out the bad ones at healthy ratio so I really couldn't guess which argument I'm for yet.

Back
Top Bottom