• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats say no border wall and no voter ID

Closing the Border would stop all Commerce going to and from the border and the tens of thousands of citizens who live in Mexico and work in San Diego etcetera etcetera closing the border is simply not feasible. Read the article I linked to on tariffs it doesn't work.

Who is forcing them to live in Mexico. Its the chance they take. If the ignorant democrats wont deal, I hope the President does close the border.

A wall sufficient to put a small dent into the problem you describe would cause tens of billions estimates are upwards to 50 maybe 70 billions of dollars.

Drugs can flow over under and around any wall and the money behind drugs would easily afford such efforts. So it's not the wall in principle it's the cost-benefit analysis it's just not there.

Because the legalization of marijuana has done more to stop the flow of marijuana coming from Mexico than any wall my recommendation is to make all drugs legal.
This would completely undermine the drug cartels in Honduras Guatemala and El Salvador and they would have to find more productive work, maybe grow and sell something legal like kratom

Yes people can break into your house, your car, breach the fence around your back yard, kick in your front door, etc. etc. etc. That doesn't keep you from locking your doors or erecting the fence, however, because such things do deter MOST of those who intend to break the law or do you harm.

Currently the average illegal immigrant family receives about twice in government benefits than what they contribute in taxes. Given amnesty to those folks would cause our costs to soar:
https://amac.us/illegal-immigration-cost-1/

Depending on what study is consulted or accepted--those supporting enforced borders always come up with much higher figures than those supporting illegal immigration and/or open borders--it is pretty much a given that not furnishing free healthcare, education, food, shelter, etc. etc. etc. plus the costs of the criminal element that comes in as illegals would easily pay for a physical barrier many times over.

And it is a fact that the Democrats did not oppose a fence/physical barrier when such was proposed by Presidents Clinton and Obama. It is only when proposed by President Trump that a fence/physical barrier miraculously becomes immoral and/or racist.

The amount President Trump is asking for now is less than 1% of the budget.

A wall, however cruel in that case, between east and west Germany was quite effective. Some did beat it but most didn't try. Walls have been almost 100% effective in keeping militant Palestinian terrorists out of Israel. The Democrats have easily voted for that and other walls in the Middle East that they considered effective.

None of that demonstrates that spending $5b on a small portion of Trump's wall is a cost effective strategy for limiting illegal immigration and drug smuggling into the USA. Do you have any evidence from reputable sources to show this?

It is only one that President Trump wants that 'won't work' it seems.

Why would anyone believe it is going to be a good solution before they've seen evidence? Show me the evidence, and I'll be happy to support the idea, but I won't be flimflammed into believing something without evidence to support it.

Let me give you something to think about: If Trump had actual evidence to show that spending $5b on a small portion of his wall was a good idea, do you think he would have presented that evidence? He hasn't, so why not?

Last edited:
None of that demonstrates that spending $5b on a small portion of Trump's wall is a cost effective strategy for limiting illegal immigration and drug smuggling. Do you have any evidence from reputable sources to show this?

Why would anyone believe it is going to be a good solution before they've seen evidence? Show me the evidence, and I'll be happy to support the idea, but I won't be flimflammed into doing something without evidence to support it.

The President is quite the pragmatist though. If he can build part of a wall to demonstrate that it is effective in stopping most illegal crossings where that wall is, he has more leverage to convince people that additional wall will be effective. He campaigned strongly on border security including a wall. He has been very faithful to his campaign promises unlike most. Of course those who hated him from the get go won't acknowledge that or consider it valid.

Who is forcing them to live in Mexico. Its the chance they take. If the ignorant democrats wont deal, I hope the President does close the border.

That doesn't change the facts I presented for infeasibility. Additionally tons of Commerce trucks going both ways delivering Goods. You obviously haven't thought it through. Trump is not going to close the border. You need to change your handle to illogical 1

Back
Top Bottom