• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats Run against Obamacare

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
makes you kind of wonder why they all voted for it; and if they voted for it 'because they really really believe in it' then why they are so willing to publicly chuck such deep beliefs (that they were willing to tell such a large percentage of the American public to take a hike over) overboard.

Democratic candidates are spending three times more advertising against the health reform law than they are in support of it.

Since the beginning of Congress’s August recess, Democratic candidates have poured $930,000 into ads deriding the health overhaul but just $300,000 in pro-reform spots, according to Evan Tracey at Kantar Media.

“Go back to 2006, and even before that, and Democrats used health care as their No. 1 issue,” Tracey said. “They had a villain in the pharmaceutical industry. Now that they passed this law, it’s almost disarmed them rather than given them an opportunity.”...

Even Democratic candidates’ pro-reform ads can offer tepid support for the law. Sen. Russ Feingold (D-Wis.) ran an ad last week that mentioned his support of health reform briefly, sandwiched between other legislative accomplishments... As POLITICO has previously reported, at least five Democrats have run ads touting their opposition to health reform.

makes you kind of wonder why they all voted for it;

Perhaps if you would read past the headlines you could answer your own question.

At least five of the 34 House Democrats who voted against their party’s health care reform bill are highlighting their “no” votes in ads back home.

The question now becomes....How come the other 29 aren't? ;)

yeh we knew they would do it. Its politics do what they want then say they didnt- The Imperial Congress!

makes you kind of wonder why they all voted for it;...

Perhaps because they are herd animals, and easier to discipline than independent thinkers? Those who listened to their leaders instead of their constituents will probably not be back next January.

I hope this opens the door to repeal Obamacare in 2011

I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that "Obamacare" will stand until 2013 at least. It is impossible for the GOP to get enough seats in the Senate to override a veto and if you think enough Democrats would about-face enough to actually vote for a repeal, you're delusional.

I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that "Obamacare" will stand until 2013 at least. It is impossible for the GOP to get enough seats in the Senate to override a veto and if you think enough Democrats would about-face enough to actually vote for a repeal, you're delusional.

Wait till the Nov. elections roll around.

Wait till the Nov. elections roll around.

There are only 19 Senate seats up for election this year.

The most seats the GOP could reasonably get is 54, and even that is a total landslide where the GOP takes every "toss-up" seat AND every "leans Democrat" seat. (according to Nate Silver anyway)

You think they'd find 12 Democratic turncoats to vote to override their own president's veto?

Taking bets, I'll give 1000:1 odds that Obamacare stands at least until after the 2012 elections.

(edit: And by "stands," I mean doesn't get repealed. getting amended wouldn't surprise me terribly)

Last edited:

Stranger things have happened in politics

Perhaps because they are herd animals, and easier to discipline than independent thinkers? Those who listened to their leaders instead of their constituents will probably not be back next January.

Yep, The days of: "I'm doing it for your own good" are long gone.

ricksfolly

Perhaps if you would read past the headlines you could answer your own question.

The question now becomes....How come the other 29 aren't? ;)

yeh we knew they would do it. Its politics do what they want then say they didnt- The Imperial Congress!

I don't think that article is accurate:

As written, Obamacare covers elective abortions, contrary to Obama's promise that it wouldn't. This means that tax dollars will be used to pay for a procedure millions of Americans across the political spectrum view as immoral. Supposedly, the Department of Health and Human Services will bar abortion coverage with new regulations but these will likely be tied up for years in litigation, and in the end may not survive the court challenge.

The bill was written so that a if person is using a government plan, and wanted abortion covered they would have to pay a minor fee to a non-government insurer to do it. Abortions are not covered by "Obamacare".

Frankly, I think Democrats are doing themselves a dis-service for not talking up their own legislation. Granted, per the OP only those Dems who voted against health care reform are running anti-health care ads. But let's be honest, folks. IMO, they're doing that not so much because they totally disagree with the legislation, but because they're in "CYA" mode for the mid-terms.

There's alot of good stuff in health care legislation. Unfortunately, you're really not hearing about it from politicians.

How will they force President Obama to sign the legislation?
Actually, I don't think that if the GOP were to take over both houses, they would bother with Obamacare - they couldn't care less, IMO. Right now, they think it's good political rhetoric.

I love how all the confusion here comes from people thinking of the Dems and the Reps as one singular voting block with no differences between its members. So some Dems voted against healthcare, because their voters didn't like it, and are now telling their voters that they went along with what they like. Where's the issue?

But no it turns into Dems are abandoning Obama's health care because some people's brains can't process anything other than binary scenarios.

How will they force President Obama to sign the legislation?
Actually, I don't think that if the GOP were to take over both houses, they would bother with Obamacare - they couldn't care less, IMO. Right now, they think it's good political rhetoric.

Congress can override the white house

You can learn more about the BlackBerry PlayBook at RIM’s official website. The PlayBook is expected to be out for developers and enterprise users in October, and should be made available to the public by the start of 2011.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom