• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats really love their chances 2014 with a long protracted Government shutdown

thinkforyoursel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
As republicans shutdown the government and dash to their limousines and golf courses to..."fight-the-good-fight"...democrats are giddy with this political gift.

No matter what statistics we see ...know this ....more Americans favor the democrats than this far-far-right wing lunatic fringe. Why republicans won in 2010 isn't because they grew their base ....it was because democrats stayed home ..plain and simple. And even where republicans won back then ...they often loss the popular vote but won because of rigged political map.

And we can verify this when we saw Obama won handily ...twice ...winning the popular vote and the election.

So democrats welcome this shutdown as a means to invigorate their base for 2014. And what will Republicans gain?

Dudes ....if you get madder at Obama ...you're vote will still only count as ..ONE VOTE!! :lamo

And you're never going to draw democrats or independents into your madness...again forget the polls ....let me repeat ..OBAMA HANDILY BEAT YOU GUYS.....TWICE!!

And the joke is ....Obama care still stand under a shutdown and your quest to punish the poor will be mixed as some programs will not be affected.

Democrats feared they wouldn't get another Sarah Palin to use as a symbol to bring out their supporters .....but with luck the Obama deranged right wing ...ensured that void is being filled.

Re: Democrats really love their chances 2014 with a long protracted Government shutdo

As republicans shutdown the government and dash to their limousines and golf courses to..."fight-the-good-fight"...democrats are giddy with this political gift.

No matter what statistics we see ...know this ....more Americans favor the democrats than this far-far-right wing lunatic fringe. Why republicans won in 2010 isn't because they grew their base ....it was because democrats stayed home ..plain and simple. And even where republicans won back then ...they often loss the popular vote but won because of rigged political map.

And we can verify this when we saw Obama won handily ...twice ...winning the popular vote and the election.

So democrats welcome this shutdown as a means to invigorate their base for 2014. And what will Republicans gain?

Dudes ....if you get madder at Obama ...you're vote will still only count as ..ONE VOTE!! :lamo

And you're never going to draw democrats or independents into your madness...again forget the polls ....let me repeat ..OBAMA HANDILY BEAT YOU GUYS.....TWICE!!

And the joke is ....Obama care still stand under a shutdown and your quest to punish the poor will be mixed as some programs will not be affected.

Democrats feared they wouldn't get another Sarah Palin to use as a symbol to bring out their supporters .....but with luck the Obama deranged right wing ...ensured that void is being filled.

A year out, this shut down if it happens means nothing. What will decide 2014 is how good or bad Obama care is. Most Americans do not pay attention to politics until an election draws near and then only about half do. How do Americans see themselves politically, According to Gallup 2013 Sep 5-8 poll 22% identified themselves with the Republicans, 31% with the Democrats and 45% as Independents. That is a big gap of 9 points in the Dems favor, but these numbers go up and down, they are dynamic. But if one looks at Independents, it is those folks that decide elections, not those who identify or affiliate with any political Party.

Re: Democrats really love their chances 2014 with a long protracted Government shutdo

So what exactly is your thesis with all of this?

While talking about the prospects of up coming election is fine and dandy, there are dire consequence with shutting down the government. This will hurt the country and millions of Americans, not to mention stifle already weaken economy. This scorch earth, if I don't get my way that republican have adopted is beyond contempt and borders on treason.

They are not trying to make things better they are trying to burn everything down to ground. How does one seriously deal with total and utter irrational behavior? Republican Party has become this ultra right wings of fanatics devoid of any rational, how can one's government function like that?

Diving Mullah

wow you are both fairly delusional and ignorant of history.

first historic trends always fvor two terms of one party,then the other.

second the republicans tried the shutdown in the 90's,and won,and not only won their budget cuts which clinton got credit for,they gained even more support not less.

third id have to find the exact poll i believe its pew poll but not sure,it shown that roughly 2/3rds of americans favored a govt shutdown,and it seemed their reasoning was they believed govt spending was out of control,and that a shutdown would force both sides to negotiate.

I don't understand this. Where did Democrats win the popular vote in 2010 but Republican's won due to rigged maps?

I wouldn't really say a 4 point win is handily. If the election were held today, Republicans would probably win anyway.

Again, I wouldn't really say handily but that's beside the point. Forgetting polls is falling into the same trap many Republicans did last year. This post is really devoid of an argument, just saying forget statistics, Democrats are gonna win.

Conservatives have a death wish; and with the shutdown they're about to get it.

Conservatives have a death wish; and with the shutdown they're about to get it.

You realize the majority of Americans are not fans of the ACA?

wow you are both fairly delusional and ignorant of history.

first historic trends always fvor two terms of one party,then the other.

second the republicans tried the shutdown in the 90's,and won,and not only won their budget cuts which clinton got credit for,they gained even more support not less.

third id have to find the exact poll i believe its pew poll but not sure,it shown that roughly 2/3rds of americans favored a govt shutdown,and it seemed their reasoning was they believed govt spending was out of control,and that a shutdown would force both sides to negotiate.

Thinkforyoursel's argument was horrible and ridiculous, but I think you're a bit off here.

Historic trends don't really favor the two terms of one than the other. Aside from Clinton-Bush-Obama that's never really happened. Two term presidents have been followed by members of the other party roughly half the time since Lincoln.

Second although Republicans definitely did get some of their demands in the nineties, the elections following the shutdowns in 1996 and 1998 were pretty much a wash. Clinton won big in the Presidential, Republicans won in the Senate in 96, the two parties tied in the Senate in 98, and Democrats made incremental gains in the House both times.

I'd also like to see that poll. Not really doubting you, but I haven't seen that one.

I don't understand this. Where did Democrats win the popular vote in 2010 but Republican's won due to rigged maps?

I wouldn't really say a 4 point win is handily. If the election were held today, Republicans would probably win anyway.

Again, I wouldn't really say handily but that's beside the point. Forgetting polls is falling into the same trap many Republicans did last year. This post is really devoid of an argument, just saying forget statistics, Democrats are gonna win.

I just checked gallup, just before the 2010 election 32% of Americans identified themselves as Democrats, 29% as Republicans and 36% as independents. The GOP won in 2010 because they won the independent vote. As if the election were held today, the GOP would probably pick up 3 senate seats, WV, MT, SD and a couple of seats in the house. If you follow Cook, Sabato, etc. that is how it looks as of today.

he is reffering to gerrymandering and democrat loss.

he fails to realize that winning the popular vote doesnt matter in house or senate races when tabulated across the nation,rather only where they are running.so lets say out of five races,3 came to about 48 52 and republicans won those,and the last two were won by democrats but the ratio was 85 15,right there an overwhelming victory in those districts throws off nationwide popular vote among senators nd congressmen,but doesnt count in any way.by attemoting to count popular vote nationwide in congressional elections,thaat person would belive california should have a say in texas votes,or texas should have influence over new yorks elections etc.simply nothing more than childish games played by those who refuse to aknowledge or observe anything in any rational matter.

on gerrymandering,once again that too is childplay.most districts were setup long ago to favor the democratic party,by dividing cities to cover as many rural districts as any city could,effectively drowning out rural vote by dividing it,forcing rural areas to be represented by city populations.this naturally favored democrats,which explains their super long run in the house,so basically democrats are pissed that they rigged the rules in their favor,and someone else unrigged them then rerigged them in their own favor.if democrats had cared about gerrymandering,they would have pushed for a bipartisan group to divide districts,but rather they simply want back old districts rigged in their favor for decades.

he is reffering to gerrymandering and democrat loss.

he fails to realize that winning the popular vote doesnt matter in house or senate races when tabulated across the nation,rather only where they are running.so lets say out of five races,3 came to about 48 52 and republicans won those,and the last two were won by democrats but the ratio was 85 15,right there an overwhelming victory in those districts throws off nationwide popular vote among senators nd congressmen,but doesnt count in any way.by attemoting to count popular vote nationwide in congressional elections,thaat person would belive california should have a say in texas votes,or texas should have influence over new yorks elections etc.simply nothing more than childish games played by those who refuse to aknowledge or observe anything in any rational matter.

on gerrymandering,once again that too is childplay.most districts were setup long ago to favor the democratic party,by dividing cities to cover as many rural districts as any city could,effectively drowning out rural vote by dividing it,forcing rural areas to be represented by city populations.this naturally favored democrats,which explains their super long run in the house,so basically democrats are pissed that they rigged the rules in their favor,and someone else unrigged them then rerigged them in their own favor.if democrats had cared about gerrymandering,they would have pushed for a bipartisan group to divide districts,but rather they simply want back old districts rigged in their favor for decades.

I figured that was what he was referring to, but he was talking about 2010. Republicans won the popular vote in 2010, and the districts in that election were almost universally not gerrymandered towards them from 2000-2010. So I don't know what he meant.

Thinkforyoursel's argument was horrible and ridiculous, but I think you're a bit off here.

Historic trends don't really favor the two terms of one than the other. Aside from Clinton-Bush-Obama that's never really happened. Two term presidents have been followed by members of the other party roughly half the time since Lincoln.

Second although Republicans definitely did get some of their demands in the nineties, the elections following the shutdowns in 1996 and 1998 were pretty much a wash. Clinton won big in the Presidential, Republicans won in the Senate in 96, the two parties tied in the Senate in 98, and Democrats made incremental gains in the House both times.

I'd also like to see that poll. Not really doubting you, but I haven't seen that one.

im reffering to since kennedy ers,the trend has been fairly consistent excluding two presidents,carter who was horribly unpopular,and bush senior who rode off of reagans popularity.excluding those two examples america has suffered amnesia every 8 years.

This message has been approved by Nancy Pelosi

im reffering to since kennedy ers,the trend has been fairly consistent excluding two presidents,carter who was horribly unpopular,and bush senior who rode off of reagans popularity.excluding those two examples america has suffered amnesia every 8 years.

That's true. More recently it has been the case. But with a sample size of 6 I'd say its far from predictive for future presidential elections.

That's true. More recently it has been the case. But with a sample size of 6 I'd say its far from predictive for future presidential elections.

most notably its been a trend since term limits were enacted,so i think its fairly predictive.

fyi i just tried searching for the poll,all i got were hundreds of thousands of pages on polls over obamacare and who america blames:(

most notably its been a trend since term limits were enacted,so i think its fairly predictive.

fyi i just tried searching for the poll,all i got were hundreds of thousands of pages on polls over obamacare and who america blames:(

That's ok I'll look for it later.

I don't think the elections are predictive though. Obama and Nixon won because of the unpopularity of wars. Carter won because of Nixons scandal. 2000 was for all intents and purposes a tie and really can't be used either way as evidence. I think other factors are much bigger indicators than how long one party has been in the White House.

You people seem to want to hide from this simple ..."fact" ....the Americans people knew about Obama-care in 2012 .....AND THEY STILL RE-ELECTED OBAMA!!

News flash....News Flash ....Obama care have been around for a while now guys.

Democrats won ....simply because ...there are more main stream and left leaning Americans...than there are on the right.

Let me give you a clue ....you people are ...MINORITIES!! :3oops:

And your vote will still be only ...one vote ...even if your hate for Obama doubles!!

You people seem to want to hide from this simple ..."fact" ....the Americans people knew about Obama-care in 2012 .....AND THEY STILL RE-ELECTED OBAMA!!

Democrats won ....simply because ...there are more main stream and left leaning Americans...than there are on the right.

And your vote will still be only ...one vote ...even if your hate for Obama doubles!!

That's not true in general. It was true on Nov. 6 2012, but there have been plenty of dates the last 5 years where it wasn't. Party affiliation is a lot more flexible than most people think.

So you're going to ignore public polling in favor of a massive assumption that holds little ground in reality?

That's ok I'll look for it later.

I don't think the elections are predictive though. Obama and Nixon won because of the unpopularity of wars. Carter won because of Nixons scandal. 2000 was for all intents and purposes a tie and really can't be used either way as evidence. I think other factors are much bigger indicators than how long one party has been in the White House.

other factors do play in,but i think its largely the country gets fed up with one poarty and votes the other,then 8 yesars later vote again the party they replaced,forgetting how bad they got screwed.

even today i hear liberals talk about how much better things were under bush,despite the fact they hated him,im sure after the 2020 election and the republican second term america will say hey remember how much better things were under obama.

oh on the poll just consider it null and void till i can find it,its how there somewhere,its just drowned in a sea of googles usual bs.

other factors do play in,but i think its largely the country gets fed up with one poarty and votes the other,then 8 yesars later vote again the party they replaced,forgetting how bad they got screwed.

even today i hear liberals talk about how much better things were under bush,despite the fact they hated him,im sure after the 2020 election and the republican second term america will say hey remember how much better things were under obama.

oh on the poll just consider it null and void till i can find it,its how there somewhere,its just drowned in a sea of googles usual bs.

I can accept that. It's hard to say which is actually true. I do think outside factors have a larger effect but I can see what your saying.

false,the majority of america is conservative and conservative moderate,infact last major poll shown 40% of america as conservative,and only 21% as liberal.seems you somehow dont understand what a minority is,considering liberals are that,even the democratic party is made up of more moderates than liberals.
Conservatives Remain the Largest Ideological Group in U.S.

also on the obamacare and obama getting reelected,those are not equal points,romney ran against obamacare,but americans didnt vote on keeping or demolishing obamacare,they focused more on economic issues and certain wedge issues.or simply correlation does not equal causation

You know ....I'm a football fan and ..last week end my football team lost.

I can stay here and talk about ...more yards...more first downs ...than the other team ...and blah-blah-blah!! But all that talking will never change that "L" to a "W".
No matter how many other fans of that team I get together with and lament about the game ....it will still be a "L" ...and not a "W".

That is how you people act and behave ....no matter how racist you become ...no matter how many sick jokes you make up....no matter how un-patriotic you want to get ....OBAMA STILL WON TWICE!!!

And Obama won because ....MORE PEOPLE IN AMERICAN VOTED FOR HIM!!

Did you vote against him ....."YES".....THEN YOU'RE A F'CKING MINORITY!!

Listen ....you people expose an ideology that would get Ronald Reagan kicked out on his behind if he were alive today trying to be the GOP leader......AND AMERICANS WANT NO PART OF YOUR LUNACY!!
You retards are ...F'CKING MINORITIES!!

You know ....I'm a football fan and ..last week end my football team lost.

I can stay here and talk about ...more yards...more first downs ...than the other team ...and blah-blah-blah!! But all that talking will never change that "L" to a "W".
No matter how many other fans of that team I get together with and lament about the game ....it will still be a "L" ...and not a "W".

That's a terrible example. Worse teams beat better teams all the time. Some days things just work out perfectly and the better team gets upset, despite being better the rest of the season. Just because Republicans lost on Novermber 6th, 2012 does not mean they'll lose forever or even that they are a minority now.

That is how you people act and behave ....no matter how racist you become ...no matter how many sick jokes you make up....no matter how un-patriotic you want to get ....OBAMA STILL WON TWICE!!!

Yes he did. Republicans won in 2010. They'd likely win if the election were held today.

And Obama won because ....MORE PEOPLE IN AMERICAN VOTED FOR HIM!!

Yes he did. And he would likely have less people vote for him today. He would've had less people vote for him in 2010. There's a small but significant percentage of the public that changes their minds frequently. Party identification is not the static thing you and many Republicans last election make it out to be.
Did you vote against him ....."YES".....THEN YOU'RE A F'CKING MINORITY!!

Nope.

Listen ....you people expose an ideology that would get Ronald Reagan kicked out on his behind if he were alive today trying to be the GOP leader......AND AMERICANS WANT NO PART OF YOUR LUNACY!!
You retards are ...F'CKING MINORITIES!!

Simply untrue. Republicans would likely win an election today. A month from now they might not. Things are different right now than November last year and things will be different than now November next year.

Back
Top Bottom