• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats Promise Probe of Trump Meetings With Putin

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.wsj.com/articles/democrats-promise-probe-of-trump-meetings-with-putin-11547356133

Trump denies claims that he took extraordinary steps to keep his discussions with Russian president secret

WASHINGTON—House Democrats on Saturday said they would explore allegations President Trump has sought to limit documentation of his meetings with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Eliot Engel (D., N.Y.), responding to a report about Mr. Trump’s meetings with the Russian president, said his committee would hold hearings on the claims, in what could be one of the first actions by Democrats to probe the president since they took control of the House in January.
========================================================================
I hope they can help locate the interpreter's notes from the 2-hour Helsinki meeeting with Putin.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/democrats-promise-probe-of-trump-meetings-with-putin-11547356133

Trump denies claims that he took extraordinary steps to keep his discussions with Russian president secret

WASHINGTON—House Democrats on Saturday said they would explore allegations President Trump has sought to limit documentation of his meetings with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Eliot Engel (D., N.Y.), responding to a report about Mr. Trump’s meetings with the Russian president, said his committee would hold hearings on the claims, in what could be one of the first actions by Democrats to probe the president since they took control of the House in January.
I hope they can help locate the interpreter's notes from the 2-hour Helsinki meeeting with Putin.
Executive privilege will be envoked

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

shrug...

Dems want to waste their time. Okay.

They also promised to investigate his morning constitutional. So it makes sense they investigate this nothing burger as well.

Executive privilege will be envoked

Of course it will be invoked. But it's uncertain whether or not it will be successful, based on this conversation between four legal professionals.

George Conway and Renato Mariotti: EP doesn't qualify
Eric Columbus and Asha Rangappa: EP does qualify

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/1084293269343875072

All four are eminently qualified to discuss this issue, and they disagree. However, the issue of EP is different here because at no point in US history was the President in question a credible national security threat and a credibly suspected Russian agent. Therefore, referring to standard interpretation of precedent is fuzzy.

In light of the recent revelation that Trump took the interpreter's notes in order to disguise a private conversation with the head of a hostile foreign government, it's worth digging this story out of our collective memory hole:

Jared Kushner and Russia’s ambassador to Washington discussed the possibility of setting up a secret and secure communications channel between Trump’s transition team and the Kremlin, using Russian diplomatic facilities in an apparent move to shield their pre-inauguration discussions from monitoring, according to U.S. officials briefed on intelligence reports.

Ambassador Sergey Kislyak reported to his superiors in Moscow that Kushner, son-in-law and confidant to then-President-elect Trump, made the proposal during a meeting on Dec. 1 or 2 at Trump Tower, according to intercepts of Russian communications that were reviewed by U.S. officials. Kislyak said Kushner suggested using Russian diplomatic facilities in the United States for the communications.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ba37cb67582d

Of course it will be invoked. But it's uncertain whether or not it will be successful, based on this conversation between four legal professionals.

George Conway and Renato Mariotti: EP doesn't qualify
Eric Columbus and Asha Rangappa: EP does qualify

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/1084293269343875072

All four are eminently qualified to discuss this issue, and they disagree. However, the issue of EP is different here because at no point in US history was the President in question a credible national security threat and a credibly suspected Russian agent. Therefore, referring to standard interpretation of precedent is fuzzy.
I'm no legal beagal but EP seems like an obvious barrier. I dont think it's going to be an easy one to cross.

My question is what is mueller doing if this isn't already being investigated? Isn't that what mueller was hired to investigate?

I'm no legal beagal but EP seems like an obvious barrier. I dont think it's going to be an easy one to cross.

My question is what is mueller doing if this isn't already being investigated? Isn't that what mueller was hired to investigate?

It's not my job to keep you apprised of the progress of his investigation. If you were truly interested you'd already know.

shrug...

Dems want to waste their time. Okay.

You mean like wasting their time spending years investigating emails and Benghazi? Didn’t see you spouting off you mouth in protesting those. I wonder why?

It's not my job to keep you apprised of the progress of his investigation. If you were truly interested you'd already know.
Lol at your defensive response.

Btw enjoy chasing yet another unsubstantiated leak in your get trump campaign.

Wouldn't a secure backchannel already have existed IF the Trump campaign and Russia had conspired during the campaign?

One that would have been good enough for a private citizen, perhaps One that would have been good enough to prevent American officials from knowing of the communications of a US President, no.

I will concede that there is also a chance this is nothing in regards to the conversation Putin and Trump has, however, this is why it’s so important to have some record of a visit like this and what was said to prevent the president from being out into a situation like this. Those records aren’t just to protect from a president from doing something unethical but it is also to protect to the president from being accused of doing something unethical. This is where trump really failed to protect himself.

One that would have been good enough for a private citizen, yes. One that would have been good enough to prevent American officials from knowing of the communications of US President, no.

During the transition, Trump remained a private citizen.

You mean like wasting their time spending years investigating emails and Benghazi? Didn’t see you spouting off you mouth in protesting those. I wonder why?

No. I mean exactly what I say.

But hey...I know you like whataboutism. You go with that.

No. I mean exactly what I say.

But hey...I know you like whataboutism. You go with that.

Ah so you don’t mind wasteful investigations when it is a dem but when it’s a Republican you’re against it. Got it hypocrite.

Ah so you don’t mind wasteful investigations when it is a dem but when it’s a Republican you’re against it. Got it hypocrite.

Sorry, but I reject spin.

You are dismissed.

Me? You guys keep throwing out more and more mud without thinking how inconsistent and often how ludicrous it is.

If my responses are unsatisfying to you then you're not legally required to respond to me, but it's not my job to incentivize blatant stupidity.

If my responses are unsatisfying to you then you're not legally required to respond to me, but it's not my job to incentivize blatant stupidity.

In other words, the unidentified backchannel between the Trump campaign and Russia was insufficient as a backchannel between the Trump transition and Russia and the inexperienced Trump people would know this and thus seek to secretly build a new one, and thus increase the odds one or both would be discovered?

We're with you Democrats, go get that "Russian agent!" :lamo:lamo

I will concede that there is also a chance this is nothing in regards to the conversation Putin and Trump has, however, this is why it’s so important to have some record of a visit like this and what was said to prevent the president from being out into a situation like this. Those records aren’t just to protect from a president from doing something unethical but it is also to protect to the president from being accused of doing something unethical. This is where trump really failed to protect himself.
I agree with you at least in part.

I'm of the opinion that as serious as the accusations are that not only should trump be investigated but everything needs to be released in its entirety from the very start. The first thing that triggered it, all the way to the conclusion. People need to understand how we got here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom