• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats Leave Benghazi Hearing Before Testimony From Families of Victims [W:37]

Re: Democrats Leave Benghazi Hearing Before Testimony From Families of Victims

Stay on topic please. [Insert strawman] on FoxNews is not the answer to every issue.

Nonsense.

The Benghazi scandal is nothing but a contrived poltical smear campaign
I agree and I even said so in my previous post. But for you to say it's okay for our legislators to walk out on the families of those who had their family members killed is a statement every bit as partisan as the circus around the so-called Benghazi scandal.

I agree and I even said so in my previous post. But for you to say it's okay for our legislators to walk out on the families of those who had their family members killed is a statement every bit as partisan as the circus around the so-called Benghazi scandal.
The hearings are a partisan political farce. What exactly have they accomplished? Is exploiting and parading around a grieving mother somehow going to prove there was a "conspiracy" or a "cover up"? Hardly.

Did you listen to Patricia Smith's testimony? It was painful.....it was painful to watch her wallow in her own ignorance and use the death of her son to troll Obama, Hillary, Biden, and anyone else she could think of that she deemed to have snubbed her demands for attention. I don't blame the democrats for walking out because there is nothing she didn't say that she didn't already rant about on the talk show circuit.

"...It is typical right-wing nonsense, with a mother's grief for her slain son passing for 'evidence' that this not only a failure at the highest levels of the Obama administration, but a coverup as well.

Much more than was ever needed has been said about the Benghazi incident, it has been milked dry of all possible political benefit, but rightwingers won't fail to try and make more hay out of it when a grieving mother can be paraded in front of us....."

Daily Kos: Meanwhile,Hannity Pays For Slain Benghazi Officer's Mom To Attend His Foreign Service Award Ceremony

Pat Smith's testimony was a far cry from what she said shortley after the funeral of her son....

"...She said when she attended the ceremony Joint Base Andrews in Maryland last week, she cried on the shoulders of President Barack Obama, Secretary of State Hilary Clinton and Vice President Joe Biden.

“I cried on every one of their shoulders,” she said. “I couldn’t believe how they made me feel. They made me feel so wonderful.”

Source: Diplomat Killed in Libya Attack Grew Up in Clairemont | NBC 7 San Diego

So early on, Hannity decides to honor Sean Smith with some sort of civilian award and ceremony, but his mother can't afford to attend the ceremony because she's on social security. So he foots the bill for her plane ticket and hotel so she can attend. Later he accuses the government...Obama's government...the same one that is on sequester.....of dishonoring Ms Smith by not picking up the tab for her to attend her son's ceremony. See how they are? They'd sell their own mother if they thought it would score them some political points.

Last edited:

Is this ridiculous gossip based on a single tweet from Darryl Issa still making the rounds??? I skimmed the entire 6 hr hearing. At any given time there were no more than 6-10 representatives present, democrat and republican combined. When the families were speaking there were still only 6-10 representatives present to listen. Considering there are 39 members of the Oversight Committee, 22 republican and 17 democrats, where the hell were the rest of the republicans???

There was NO en masse walkout by the democrats or anyone else. As nearly every other committee hearing in congress (yes, husby loves CSPAN), the only people who stay for the whole thing are the political assistants in the back row. Everyone else enters right before their allotted time, and leaves shortly afterward. This hearing was no different. When the families spoke, there were only 5 republicans and 2 democrats there, but 27 republicans and 15 democrats had ALL left.

This entire episode of "outrage" is manufactured from Issa's 144-character tweet and a fabricated pack of lies.

Darrell Issa trolls Democrats for "walking out" on Benghazi testimony.

Partisan hack haters will fall for anything. :roll:

^ Precisely that. This is another B.S. attempt by the King of the Witch Hunts to make Democrats look bad. Because Darrell Issa is a partisan hack.

The hearings are a partisan political farce.
You keep arguing this like I've not already agreed with you twice. But, despite this, it was improper for legislators to simply walk out on the victims' families, even if they do not agree with the political message the victims' families were about to provide. These are members of the United States Congress and their sons died in combat defending US interests in Libya.

Regardless of the ridiculous circus Republicans have tried to make Benghazi, the actions of these legislators was disrespectful and wrong. No matter what you say, it will not change this fact.
Is this ridiculous gossip based on a single tweet from Darryl Issa still making the rounds??? I skimmed the entire 6 hr hearing. At any given time there were no more than 6-10 representatives present, democrat and republican combined. When the families were speaking there were still only 6-10 representatives present to listen. Considering there are 39 members of the Oversight Committee, 22 republican and 17 democrats, where the hell were the rest of the republicans???

There was NO en masse walkout by the democrats or anyone else. As nearly every other committee hearing in congress (yes, husby loves CSPAN), the only people who stay for the whole thing are the political assistants in the back row. Everyone else enters right before their allotted time, and leaves shortly afterward. This hearing was no different. When the families spoke, there were only 5 republicans and 2 democrats there, but 27 republicans and 15 democrats had ALL left.

This entire episode of "outrage" is manufactured from Issa's 144-character tweet and a fabricated pack of lies.

Darrell Issa trolls Democrats for "walking out" on Benghazi testimony.

Partisan hack haters will fall for anything.
If this is true, then it's a non-issue at this point.

You keep arguing this like I've not already agreed with you twice. But, despite this, it was improper for legislators to simply walk out on the victims' families, even if they do not agree with the political message the victims' families were about to provide. These are members of the United States Congress and their sons died in combat defending US interests in Libya.

Regardless of the ridiculous circus Republicans have tried to make Benghazi, the actions of these legislators was disrespectful and wrong. No matter what you say, it will not change this fact.

I thought it was obvious that I don't agree with you. I fail to see what credible 'evidence' Patricia Smith or Charles Woods have to offer at the hearings. Respect is a two way street and I don't think it was improper or disresptful to walk out on somone who took every opportunity to go on talk shows to troll Obama and Hillary and make it appear that there was some sort of cover up that she wasn't privey to.

If this is true, then it's a non-issue at this point.
Thats right. It's just another Republican fake issue meant to embarrass democrats and you fell for it hook, line, and sinker. And I'm not going to change my mind no matter what you say either.

I thought it was obvious that I don't agree with you.
Only if you are that blinded by partisan politics.

I've already agreed with you multiple times the Benghazi thing is a farce. You keep bringing it up as if I didn't agree from the very beginning. I did agree from the very beginning. If you continue to disagree it was wrong of the Democrats to leave when the parents of the slain were there (we're speaking hypothetically now, given the fact it may never have been an issue), by saying the Benghazi issue is a farce, then you clearly are not interested in debating what I say, only repeating how much you dislike Republicans.

Thats right. It's just another Republican fake issue meant to embarrass democrats and you fell for it hook, line, and sinker.
Uhh, so did you. Actually, we didn't "fall for it" we're simply commenting on the story as presented in the opening post.

Only if you are that blinded by partisan politics.

I've already agreed with you multiple times the Benghazi thing is a farce. You keep bringing it up as if I didn't agree from the very beginning.

I did agree from the very beginning. If you continue to disagree it was wrong of the Democrats to leave when the parents of the slain were there (we're speaking hypothetically now, given the fact it may never have been an issue), by saying the Benghazi issue is a farce, then you clearly are not interested in debating what I say, only repeating how much you dislike Republicans.

You're too confusing. You agree the Benghazi thing is a farce...but if I think Benghazi is a farce then I'm not interested in debate and hate republicans...and oh yeah, I'm a blind partisan. Really? I'm sorry but I really thought you were better than that. On that point I admit I was wrong.

Uhh, so did you. Actually, we didn't "fall for it" we're simply commenting on the story as presented in the opening post.
Um, I'm pretty sure I said the entire Benghazi "thing" was a farce from the very beginning. I give up on what you agree or disagree with because you're not really interested in debate in asmuch as you are moralizing from a false premise, double think and ad hom attacks.

Last edited:

You're too confusing.
It's not confusing at all. You have to separate the two issues.

1) Benghazi "scandal" which wasn't.
2) Parents of Americans who died in combat were walked out on by members of Congress (we'll just act as if this story is true, for the sake of the debate).

We agree Benghazi is a farce made up by Republicans for political gain. What I'm saying is that even though Benghazi "scandal" is not a scandal, our Congress men and women should not walk out on the parents of the slain Americans. That would be wrong.

You agree the Benghazi thing is a farce...but if I think Benghazi is a farce then I'm not interested in debate and hate republicans
That's not what I said. I said if your answer to my statement that Democrats should not walk out is to say Benghazi is a farce then that is not a valid response to what I'm saying.

Really? I'm sorry but I really thought you were better than that.
I am.

On that point I admit I was wrong.
No, on that point you were right. Where you seem to be wrong is understanding what my argument is.

Um, I'm pretty sure I said the entire Benghazi "thing" was a farce from the very beginning.
As have I. When I said we both "fell for it", I was referring to this particular story.

I give up on what you agree or disagree with because you're not really interested in debate in asmuch as you are moralizing from a false premise, double think and ad hom attacks.
Your inaccurate use of fallacies aside, please take the time to fully understand what I'm talking about, so we can debate this fully. I'll try to explain it one more time.

You do not have to tell me the Benghazi scandal is a farce. I agree with you on that. However, even though it is a farce, our Congress people should not be walking out on the parents of those who fell protecting US interests, even if the reason they are there in the first place is for pure political nonsense. Just because the Republicans are wasting people's time, that does not mean Democrats should be disrespectful.

It's not confusing at all. You have to separate the two issues.

1) Benghazi "scandal" which wasn't.
The Benghazi "scandal" is a farce. The Benghazi attack was not.

2) Parents of Americans who died in combat were walked out on by members of Congress (we'll just act as if this story is true, for the sake of the debate).
No, lets not. The fact that the story is false supports my argument that Republicans were exploiting a grieving mother. See how they are?" ......

So early on, Hannity decides to honor Sean Smith with some sort of civilian award and ceremony, but his mother can't afford to attend the ceremony because she's on social security. So he foots the bill for her plane ticket and hotel so she can attend. Later he accuses the government...Obama's government...the same one that is on sequester.....of dishonoring Ms Smith by not picking up the tab for her to attend her son's ceremony. See how they are? They'd sell their own mother if they thought it would score them some political points.

See how they are....

An insult to the Sandy Hook families

We agree Benghazi is a farce made up by Republicans for political gain. What I'm saying is that even though Benghazi "scandal" is not a scandal, our Congress men and women should not walk out on the parents of the slain Americans. That would be wrong.
What exactly was the point of parading two grieving parents into the hearing in the first place? Did they have some new insight or "evidence" that the previous 40 hearings somehow missed? No, those two parents were there to troll Obama and Hillary at Issa's farce of a hearing to help keep the Benghazi scandal alive.

That's not what I said. I said if your answer to my statement that Democrats should not walk out is to say Benghazi is a farce then that is not a valid response to what I'm saying.
Then you would do better to focus on making your own argument more coherent instead of trying to twist mine.

I am.

No, on that point you were right. Where you seem to be wrong is understanding what my argument is.
I think I understand. You wanted to condemn the democrats so you could feel morally superior, but now that we know the truth and it was all a big lie.......you have yet to say anything condemning the Republicans behaviour. They're the ones exploiting two grieving parents for their own sick political agenda, not the democrats. They're the ones who lied. And yet you' still want to blame the democrats...hypothetically of course. And you had the nerve to call me partisan? lol What a laugh you are. You pretend to be a moderate but you really aren't, are you? lol

As have I. When I said we both "fell for it", I was referring to this particular story.
That might be, but you fell on the wrong side.

Your inaccurate use of fallacies aside, please take the time to fully understand what I'm talking about, so we can debate this fully. I'll try to explain it one more time.

You do not have to tell me the Benghazi scandal is a farce. I agree with you on that. However, even though it is a farce, our Congress people should not be walking out on the parents of those who fell protecting US interests, even if the reason they are there in the first place is for pure political nonsense. Just because the Republicans are wasting people's time, that does not mean Democrats should be disrespectful.

Obama, Hillary, Biden, Panetta and Rice all went to Sean Smith's funeral to give their condolences and show their respect to his mother. Pat Smith said she "cried on all their shoulders" and they made her "feel wonderful." So what changed? Because the next thing you know shes going on Hannity and all the talk shows ranting about a big cover up and that Obama and Hillary killed her son. OMG, how dare they say it was "a video". No, she wasn't there at the hearing to provide evidence....she was there to troll the dems and help make the benghazi scandal look credible. I'm sorry but that isn't someone deserving respect, imo. Thats not to say her son doesn't...but she is not her son. And then to add insult to injury, the dems are blamed for walking out. But that was just another lie, too.....

These Pictures Prove Fox Is Lying: Democrats Didn't Walk Out Of Benghazi Hearing | Blog | Media Matters for America

Ahh well, now that the damage is done....it's just another non-issue like all the hundreds of other pin prick non-issues, isn't it? Unless of course you feel like being moderate and tossing some moral outrage at Republicans for a change.

Moderator's Warning:
*walks in with machette hacking at the air* Man! Tension in here is so thick I had to cut my way in! *wipes brow* Let's please remember to stay on topic and not bait/troll folks please! "Civility is a Must!" is not just a slogan after all. ;)

Then you would do better to focus on making your own argument more coherent instead of trying to twist mine.
I haven't twisted any argument of yours. I haven't even addressed your argument, except to say a response saying Benghazi scandal is a farce is not a valid response to my statement that Democrats should not have walked out.

You wanted to condemn the democrats so you could feel morally superior
....why would condemning people who walked out on the families of those who had their sons killed make me feel morally superior?

you have yet to say anything condemning the Republicans behaviour.
You mean, besides this?

"No matter how ridiculous the Republicans have been in trying to build a scandal which never was for purely political gain"

or this?

"partisan as the circus around the so-called Benghazi scandal"

or this?

"Regardless of the ridiculous circus Republicans have tried to make Benghazi"

or this?

"We agree Benghazi is a farce made up by Republicans for political gain."

or this?

"Just because the Republicans are wasting people's time"

I've condemned the behavior of Republicans, in this thread alone, 5 different times.

And yet you' still want to blame the democrats...hypothetically of course.
I'm blaming anyone who would walk out in that situation, if walking out was done for political purposes.

lol What a laugh you are. You pretend to be a moderate but you really aren't, are you? lol
:lamo

If I'm not moderate, then what do you think I am?

That might be, but you fell on the wrong side.
Uhh, no. We fell for the story, the both of us. And, with the assumption the story was true (as we both did originally), it would be wrong of those Democrats to walk out on the families because of political purposes.

Obama, Hillary, Biden, Panetta and Rice all went to Sean Smith's funeral to give their condolences and show their respect to his mother.
And that was great they did.

Unless of course you feel like being moderate and tossing some moral outrage at Republicans for a change.
You mean aside from the five different times I already have in this thread?

By the way, being moderate has nothing to do with political parties. The fact you seem to think I'm Republican is beyond hilarious. I have little regard for anyone who sees every issue through red or blue tinted lenses. I much prefer to be able to analyze the situation without having to take my team's side.

Back
Top Bottom