• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats...heres your best ticket in 2020

Do you really think that society could operate on a premise of everyone paying exactly what they want, or what they feel they should? Of course it couldn't; tax law is codified and standardised for good reason.

Again, there is no hypocrisy in advocating for sustainable capitalism with representative governance despite being well-off.
I think it demonstrates the charlatan nature of rich leftists complaining about the 1%ers.

The problem with Harris is there is no meat on the bone. Sure...she brings California, but they already have California. And other than her status as a woman and black, I dont know what you point to as accomplishments to run on.

Republicans said the same thing about Obama.

I think it demonstrates the charlatan nature of rich leftists complaining about the 1%ers.

How though? Being well off in no way precludes you from complaining about the unscrupulous subversion of representation and systemic rigging of the economy done by a subset of 1%ers, and the consequences of those actions.

Bloomberg has no shot. But he'll effect the campaign with his presence and probably earn himself a cabinet appointment with the eventual winner.

Soda Czar.

Well thats part of the dilemma. Over two million moderate and right leaning voters voted for dems in the midterms. Do dems want to keep them for 2020? If so they have to appeal to them by picking centrist candidates. If not then they need to shore up the base. Cant be both.

That isn't reflected in the sneering tone of the original post.
But let's address what you had to say because you not only tagged yourself as moderate, you actually seem like you might BE moderate, and you're not throwing around the usual revisionist bullcrap.

Centrist candidates: What defines a centrist? Is it being more open to the 2A? Is it a willingness to accept certain free market reforms? Is it a more conservative friendly foreign policy which includes one or two of the Trump administration talking points on trade? (a couple of which would actually be okay if they'd been actually implemented in a sane manner)
Is it more openness to immigration reform including funding for a wall or walls?

Give me some ideas on what defines a centrist Dem pick that independents and centrists could be attracted to.
You must please ALSO include a couple of liberal issues/talking points that REPEL you.

They were last election, too, and see what they got.

As open AND receptive as I am to the idea of a woman candidate, mere possession of female chromosomes doesn't trip any levers for me at all, ZERO. Unless and until I actually see and HEAR the right kinds of policy statements and see and HEAR what they accomplish in a pre-debate and debate environment, it still comes down to who is best, not whether or not they own a vagina.

So, if the best person isn't a woman, it's going to be because the best person isn't a woman, plain and simple.

The problem with Harris is there is no meat on the bone. Sure...she brings California, but they already have California. And other than her status as a woman and black, I dont know what you point to as accomplishments to run on.

Kamala Harris seems like good people but I agree that there isn't much meat on the bone, yet.
We shall see.

To add to that, Tulsi Gabbard is trying hard to appear as a liberal but I don't know if I believe her, and some of her positions are pure whackadoodle, like the notion that Hawaiians should be awarded sovereign independence from the United States if they want it:

"Gabbard says that "Native Hawaiians, as a people, should be empowered to determine their own future and what kind of relationship they choose to have with the U.S. federal government."

2. Or her weak and tepid position on marijuana reform. Mere "decriminalization" keeps the status of users as second class citizens subject to having their rights and privileges restricted in place. Driver licenses, commercial licenses, professional certificates, firearm ownership, job prospects and even in some states, access to health care are all jeopardized by mere "decriminalization" because it is not LEGALIZATION.

3. I also don't think that I believe her new stance on gay rights and marriage equality, not after how hard she worked to torpedo it back in the 2000's. I don't trust her positions in that area at all.

4. And her apparent reluctance to join the Democrats on the Steve Bannon issue? Very telling.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand.

I'll never forgive Gillibrand for "branding" Al Franken as somehow the equivalent of Harvey Weinstein.
He wasn't. The entire thing was a sham and a setup by the Right, that's how frightened they were of Franken, and with good reason.

As open AND receptive as I am to the idea of a woman candidate, mere possession of female chromosomes doesn't trip any levers for me at all, ZERO. Unless and until I actually see and HEAR the right kinds of policy statements and see and HEAR what they accomplish in a pre-debate and debate environment, it still comes down to who is best, not whether or not they own a vagina.

So, if the best person isn't a woman, it's going to be because the best person isn't a woman, plain and simple.

Careful CS, they will throw you out of the Left Party for actually thinking about the candidate's ability before you vote.

kasich-hickenlooper-1.jpg

Biden/Bloomberg

Biden would likely commit to 1 term with Bloomberg being very active as a VP candidate pushing his favorite topic, the anti-gun agenda. Bidens a populist, Bloomberg is more of a radical leftist. I wouldnt be surprised to see them partner with a female candidate as a groomed VP candidate for Bloomberg in 2024.

I dont think Bloomberg could play second fiddle at this point

Biden/Bloomberg

Biden would likely commit to 1 term with Bloomberg being very active as a VP candidate pushing his favorite topic, the anti-gun agenda. Bidens a populist, Bloomberg is more of a radical leftist. I wouldnt be surprised to see them partner with a female candidate as a groomed VP candidate for Bloomberg in 2024.

Bloomberg? No thanks. I don’t want any president who will tell me what size soda I can buy.

I see a Biden/Harris type of combo. Someone who is established, with credibility paired with someone who wants change, but not crazy change. Kinda like McCain and Palin, except not a total moron like Palin.

I don't know Hickenlooper.

Give me Huntsman as the frontrunner and you've got my vote, just so long as he promises (I really might just believe him) that he will replace any further liberal justices with judges considered liberal (not that they make decisions based on their politics), and if one conservative goes, a swing-vote. I'd have easily given Huntsman my vote if he was the 2012 GOP nominee.

Balance on the Supreme Court got huge after Gorsuch + Kavanaugh. I want 4 lib, 4 con, 1 swing. We need that in the long term.

I was actually very disgusted when Colbert beat Huntsman in S.C. That was a smart man with a good background, willing to stand up for what he really did actually think. He didn't play that game of pretending to be far right to get through a primary. I would trust him.

Kasich? Ehh...maybe as VP. But I actually didn't pay nearly enough attention to him because, well, you know what happened....

A Biden/Harris ticket would do very well.

With Harris as VP?

I really don't like the far-left sort of idea of "well, we can expand spending massively, but then we'll also give tax credits!" I know single-payer, done right, could save money. But not enough anyway. We HAVE to get revenue under control, then figure out whether we do or do not want to cut any spending we can agree on. But no matter what we spend, we cannot just keep doing this. And the farther left a Dem gets, the less they care.

Granted, the GOP doesn't give a **** either. So between someone who spends to benefit the richest and someone who spends for everyone, I'll side with latter grudgingly. But I would really like doing the best for everyone WHILE PAYING FOR THAT ****!

We've got maybe another 20-30 trillion to borrow until the can can't be kicked. I damn well don't want us in a 3 trillion/year deficit when that happens, because the kind of sudden move that would be required to right the ship quickly would devastate the economy and.....then....not right the ship at all.

Basically, we're just waiting for rock bottom to do anything.

I would not put money on Biden even being alive on election day, but if he is he has nearly no chance, and if he did.....if we went with someone that old and feeble because there was nobody better on offer....well that would be yet another indictment of our failed political system.

I wonder if you have the same odds for Trump being alive on election day? Or is an old feeble guy all you have to offer?

I wonder if you have the same odds for Trump being alive on election day? Or is an old feeble guy all you have to offer?

I have for the new year given up those who cant/wont man up and make statements.

I dont know...it smacks of hypocrisy to me to be one of those rich people buying multiple homes that you then bitch about not being taxed high enough. I never hear Bernie say "I could be a 1%er but since I dont need the 1.5 million that my wife and I make I donate a million a year to charity or give it back to the government to help pay down the debt."

It's good to know Sanders releases his tax returns so we can bitch about whether he pays enough taxes or is charitable, or not. He has made 1 million dollars in each of the last 2 years (way, way less for all prior years) from book royalties, much of which has been donated to charity. Bernie walks the walk. You don't have to like him, but he's not a hypocrite.

Biden/Bloomberg

Do you think that's one tRump could beat. Frankly if he stays the course heading the advice of VP Coulter, Chief of Staff Hannity, Special Advisor Limbaugh and the daily intel briefing from Britebart … I think a good solid Democrat is a shoe-in.

Hickenlooper would be an EXCELENT President, not sure he can win the nomination but he's a good solid man; certainly someone that can and would bring the Nation back together.

You're being facetious right? Stale, establishment, status quo candidate Biden a populist? Self-described fiscal conservative billionaire Bloomberg a 'radical leftist'?

Serious or not, this OP is a complete joke.

The OP should concern himself with his own partys dysfunction. The Dems are quite capable of screwing the pooch without advice from a Trump supporter who has suspicious motives.

Biden/Bloomberg

How sad the US has descended into such a state where candidates for public office have to be dredged up from the uncivilized leftist savage barbarian dung heap.

That isn't reflected in the sneering tone of the original post.
But let's address what you had to say because you not only tagged yourself as moderate, you actually seem like you might BE moderate, and you're not throwing around the usual revisionist bullcrap.

Centrist candidates: What defines a centrist? Is it being more open to the 2A? Is it a willingness to accept certain free market reforms? Is it a more conservative friendly foreign policy which includes one or two of the Trump administration talking points on trade? (a couple of which would actually be okay if they'd been actually implemented in a sane manner)
Is it more openness to immigration reform including funding for a wall or walls?

Give me some ideas on what defines a centrist Dem pick that independents and centrists could be attracted to.
You must please ALSO include a couple of liberal issues/talking points that REPEL you.

Well first I think of course there are variations in being a moderate. But generally I think moderates are typically those that find common ground. They can often see both sides to solutions and tend to vote somewhere in the middle. They dont like the extremes. They dont want a one sided approach to everything. So for example for the current shutdown, they want to see both sides sitting down and hashing it out. Not talking via their "people." Old time negotiations like when Reagan and Tip sat down and figured it out.

I think a lot of moderates also tend to be fiscally conservative but socially liberal. Issues that probably would turn moderates off is a push too quickly into single payer, too many wars, banning of guns etc. Basically rushing to the extremes. A gradual push to those issues. I think thats been a big part of our problems, both parties push to their extremes and then the voters freak out and completely elect a majority of the other side. Then in two years they freak out again and vote the opposite. So over the past 30 years or so we get little done because the voters dont like what either is preaching.

Democrats should be grateful that Donald J. Trump is president.

If any other Republican were the president now, s/he would probably win against the Democratic candidate in a landslide in 2020.

All the announced Democratic candidates are so wacky or so young or so old or so obnoxious or so inexperienced that they make Hillary Clinton look good in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom