• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats, get ready for this likely disappointment by Biden

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I suspect Biden will not use any political capital to prosecute trump. Just as Obama promised to vigorously bring the Bush administration to justice and then did nothing, with cliches about 'looking forward, not backward', that is how it has essentially always worked, and Joe Biden is very much the type of politician who follows that playbook. So, get ready for that disappointment.

And there's really no way to get him to change on it. No one is going to refuse to vote for him over the issue. I wish it were different. If the government has ever needed to actually apply the law to a former administration it's this one. There's a small chance he might do more than this, let's hope.

I suspect Biden will not use any political capital to prosecute trump. Just as Obama promised to vigorously bring the Bush administration to justice and then did nothing, with cliches about 'looking forward, not backward', that is how it has essentially always worked, and Joe Biden is very much the type of politician who follows that playbook. So, get ready for that disappointment.

And there's really no way to get him to change on it. No one is going to refuse to vote for him over the issue. I wish it were different. If the government has ever needed to actually apply the law to a former administration it's this one. There's a small chance he might do more than this, let's hope.

I fear you might be right but I dunno. How many will be dead by the time Biden is in office? The Woodward tapes change things. Or they should.

I fear you might be right but I dunno. How many will be dead by the time Biden is in office? The Woodward tapes change things. Or they should.

Nothing in the Woodward tapes so far show crimes as far as I'm aware. I've heard some talk that over 400,000 could be killed by the time Biden takes office.

Nothing in the Woodward tapes so far show crimes as far as I'm aware. I've heard some talk that over 400,000 could be killed by the time Biden takes office.

We disagree on that. He kept the truth from the American people. This is verifiable. And we don’t know all the details behind the scenes, such as Kushner’s plan to let blue states die, stealing equipment from states to sell to the highest bidder, etc.

We disagree on that. He kept the truth from the American people. This is verifiable. And we don’t know all the details behind the scenes, such as Kushner’s plan to let blue states die, stealing equipment from states to sell to the highest bidder, etc.

If you can show me the law that says a president keeping the truth from the American people is a crime, let me know. There might have been crimes on the stealing of equipment, but the Woodward tapes haven't shown the evidence of such crimes.

Assuming Biden would be that hands-on. He might not take steps in that direction himself but he might well not impede the process if someone else initiates it.
Is it a given now that the Executive branch directs the judiciary?

Assuming Biden would be that hands-on. He might not take steps in that direction himself but he might well not impede the process if someone else initiates it.
Is it a given now that the Executive branch directs the judiciary?

I don't think there's much question that a president directs the Department of Justice on an issue like how much to pursue a previous administration. I'm not talking about 'US Attorney finds evidence and builds a case for a crime', I'm talking about the broad direction terms of focus, resources, priorities. If it's not clear that it was Obama's call for DoJ not to pursue the Bush administration...

That's not all that 'hands on' by Biden, it can be as little as a sentence spoken to his AG, who could in part be selected as one who will follow the policy he wants either way.

I'm ready for it. He's already expressed in at least one interview that he doesn't think political leaders should go after the heads of their rivals. He probably doesn't want to set a precedent where any previous president can be prosecuted for crimes in office, no matter how much this one clearly deserves it. One day in the future the shoe might be on the other foot and the precedent could be used for something far less.

I think he's wrong and regardless of future political outcomes, justice should be served. But I think in the interests of 'healing the nation' he'll also not want to upset the Trumpies, and will prefer to appear magnanimous in victory.

Or he could be signalling that he'll leave it to congress, the FBI or various DAs rather than direct the DOJ himself.

I'm ready for it. He's already expressed in at least one interview that he doesn't think political leaders should go after the heads of their rivals. He probably doesn't want to set a precedent where any previous president can be prosecuted for crimes in office, no matter how much this one clearly deserves it. One day in the future the shoe might be on the other foot and the precedent could be used for something far less.

I think he's wrong and regardless of future political outcomes, justice should be served. But I think in the interests of 'healing the nation' he'll also not want to upset the Trumpies, and will prefer to appear magnanimous in victory.

The "Trumpies" are going to be upset no matter what and appeasing them won't accomplish anything.

I want the civil war.
All their threats have convinced me it is the only way to go.

This is assuming that Biden's US Attorney General pick is not actually independent. That would be a huge disappointment. I'm hoping the traditional firewall between the WH and DoJ will be re-established.

Nevertheless, Trump will almost certainly face numerous felony charges in New York state.

I'm not too worried about Federal prosecution, I think that there is some probability that djt resigns and gets Pence to pardon him and his family. Unfortunately for the Trump family crime organization, the Manhattan DA is certainly ready to go with a variety of criminal charges based on pre-2016 events (NY statute of limitations rules make criminals sphincters tighten).

This is assuming that Biden's US Attorney General pick is not actually independent. That would be a huge disappointment. I'm hoping the traditional firewall between the WH and DoJ will be re-established.

A firewall should exist on details, but if you think Biden won't be making the call on the general approach to how much to go after the trump administration... start with how he has a desire on that during the process of selecting and interviewing who he appoints as AG, and he won't need to say a word after they take office.

I'm not too worried about Federal prosecution, I think that there is some probability that djt resigns and gets Pence to pardon him and his family. Unfortunately for the Trump family crime organization, the Manhattan DA is certainly ready to go with a variety of criminal charges based on pre-2016 events (NY statute of limitations rules make criminals sphincters tighten).

It's a possibility. We are putting an awful lot of eggs in the NY AG basket. We'll see. Also see my thread on whether trump will leave the country to avoid prosecution.

It's a possibility. We are putting an awful lot of eggs in the NY AG basket. We'll see. Also see my thread on whether trump will leave the country to avoid prosecution.

Not the NY AG, Cyrus Vance Jr., DA for Manhattan. All he has to do is level one indictment, and the orange clown isn't going anywhere.

Since Biden isn't winning, there is no capital to be had by Rapist Joe and Hunter Burisma

Back
Top Bottom