• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats Fall Short in Effort to Rebuke Administration on Russia Sanctions

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
We've officially slipped over the edge and everyone should be scared as all hell. GOP lawmakers today broke ranks and filibustered even a straight vote to lift sanctions imposed by the US.Treasury last April on one of Russia's most wealthy Oleg Deripaska and other Russian companies. Democrats had voted to keep the sanctions in place on this Paul Manafort counterpart but GOP protected Trump to the extent that they're going to release those sanctions. This is all part of Putin's plan and Trump and these GOP Senators are boot-licking the Russians. We have built the Russians into our political platform. The are here, they aren't going anywhere. We all really need to be concerned about this. Today, Oleg Deripaska and Putin are jumping for joy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/16/us/politics/senate-trump-russia-sanctions.html

WASHINGTON — Senate Republicans on Wednesday narrowly staved off an effort by Democrats to deal the Trump administration’s Russia sanctions policy an embarrassing rebuke.

Eleven Republicans joined Democrats in a vote to enforce sanctions against the corporate empire of an influential ally of President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia, but the effort fell three votes short of the 60-vote threshold required to advance the measure. The vote was 57-42, with one Democratic senator not voting.

The sanctions against companies controlled by the influential oligarch, Oleg V. Deripaska, now seem destined to be lifted this week as part of a deal negotiated by the Treasury Department to reduce Mr. Deripaska’s ownership and control of the aluminum giant Rusal and two linked companies.

We've officially slipped over the edge and everyone should be scared as all hell. GOP lawmakers today broke ranks and filibustered even a straight vote to lift sanctions imposed by the US.Treasury last April on one of Russia's most wealthy Oleg Deripaska and other Russian companies. Democrats had voted to keep the sanctions in place on this Paul Manafort counterpart but GOP protected Trump to the extent that they're going to release those sanctions. This is all part of Putin's plan and Trump and these GOP Senators are boot-licking the Russians. We have built the Russians into our political platform. The are here, they aren't going anywhere. We all really need to be concerned about this. Today, Oleg Deripaska and Putin are jumping for joy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/16/us/politics/senate-trump-russia-sanctions.html

WASHINGTON — Senate Republicans on Wednesday narrowly staved off an effort by Democrats to deal the Trump administration’s Russia sanctions policy an embarrassing rebuke.

Eleven Republicans joined Democrats in a vote to enforce sanctions against the corporate empire of an influential ally of President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia, but the effort fell three votes short of the 60-vote threshold required to advance the measure. The vote was 57-42, with one Democratic senator not voting.

The sanctions against companies controlled by the influential oligarch, Oleg V. Deripaska, now seem destined to be lifted this week as part of a deal negotiated by the Treasury Department to reduce Mr. Deripaska’s ownership and control of the aluminum giant Rusal and two linked companies.

How does this action protect Trump?

Why don't the Republicans put it to a vote on the floor to lift all sanctions against Russia. As part of the bill they can formally apologize for the U.S.'s overreaction, to their annexation of Crimea. Maybe they can also apologize for all the bad things they have said about communism over the years.

Welcome to the new Republican party.

How does this action protect Trump?
Putin owns Trump and half the GOP Congress. Putin needed his oligarch's money, that's right...it's Putin's own oligarch's money on which Putin depends on.

The U.S. Treasury put sanctions on these Russians for hacking the election and froze the assets of some of the wealthiest billionaires in Russia, all Putin's men. The republicans in Congress put up a vote to release those sanctions and give back Putin what he wanted to get him and his boys back in business. The democrats tried to block their bill that would release the sanctions. The republicans pulled a filibuster and bypassed the legislative process which overrides any blocking of their bill by democrats.

I hope some of you on the right realize that this isn't fun and games anymore, this is serious stuff and our country is deeply infected with Russian influences.

5b5bfaacd3f09.image.jpg

Why don't the Republicans put it to a vote on the floor to lift all sanctions against Russia. As part of the bill they can formally apologize for the U.S.'s overreaction, to their annexation of Crimea. Maybe they can also apologize for all the bad things they have said about communism over the years.

Welcome to the new Republican party.

I'll just add you to the list of either 'traitor' or 'Russian troll'. You most certainly are no American patriot and don't give a crap what is happening to our country.

(was this sarcasm? If you were just being sarcastic, then I apologize)

Last edited:
I'll just add you to the list of either 'traitor' or 'Russian troll'. You most certainly are no American patriot and don't give a crap what is happening to our country.

I think his/her post was sarcasm. Just my opinion.

I think his/her post was sarcasm. Just my opinion.

God, I hope so! If they were being sarcastic, I surely apologize. It's so hard to tell sometime.

Putin owns Trump and half the GOP Congress. Putin needed his oligarch's money, that's right...it's Putin's own oligarch's money on which Putin depends on.

The U.S. Treasury put sanctions on these Russians for hacking the election and froze the assets of some of the wealthiest billionaires in Russia, all Putin's men. The republicans in Congress put up a vote to release those sanctions and give back Putin what he wanted to get him and his boys back in business. The democrats tried to block their bill that would release the sanctions. The republicans pulled a filibuster and bypassed the legislative process which overrides any blocking of their bill by democrats.

I hope some of you on the right realize that this isn't fun and games anymore, this is serious stuff and our country is deeply infected with Russian influences.

Again...how does this protect Trump?

Because Trump has wanted to reduce/relieve sanctions on Russians since 2016. Now he can.

I really don't know how to express how really bad this is. The whole reason Trump got Putin's support is because those sanctions under the Magnitsky Act were absolutely killing Putin financially. It's his stable filled with billionaire oligarchs that keep the wheels of his dictatorship oiled. Putin absolutely had to have these sanctions removed and I truly believe that was the deal with Trump. Get Trump elected so Trump can get the sanctions lifted and in addition to that, do Putin's bidding with Syria and destroying NATO.

The most truly horrifying thing to realize is that the greater portion of the republican Congress are going along with all of this which means, in my opinion anyway, they're all in it together. And even worse, they're not even trying to hide it anymore.

One should ask: how does the US benefit from relieving sanctions on Oleg Deripaska's companies? Please, someone, explain that to me.

His bootlickers in the GOP Congress are clearly enabling Trump in his pro-Putin endeavors. Voting to remove sanctions put on Russia because they hacked our election was imposed by the U.S. Treasury through a majority vote in both House and Senate last April. His traitorous Congress is not only helping Trump, they're aiding and abetting an enemy of the U.S.

The names of the traitorous GOP Senators should be published and memorized and they need to be tarred and feathered in the streets like we used to do back in the 1800's to scoundrels.

His bootlickers in the GOP Congress are clearly enabling Trump in his pro-Putin endeavors. Voting to remove sanctions put on Russia because they hacked our election was imposed by the U.S. Treasury through a majority vote in both House and Senate last April. His traitorous Congress is not only helping Trump, they're aiding and abetting an enemy of the U.S.

I haven't seen much in the way of "pro-Putin endeavors" from Trump, so that's why I asked what the GOP are protecting him from.

But yeah...I agree they are protecting Trump...from, as your article states, "an effort by Democrats to deal the Trump administration’s Russia sanctions policy an embarrassing rebuke."

Seems to me the Dems aren't so much interesting in seriously considering sanctions or how effective they have been. Rather they are more interested in how they can "rebuke" Trump.

(was this sarcasm? If you were just being sarcastic, then I apologize)

Sarcasm? Not sure. I am pissed and maybe I am venting. More tongue in cheek I would say.

I am just saying if the Republicans are going to start supporting Russian interests over American, why not go all the way.

This filibuster was about one thing. Making sure the Republican party did not look like they were being unsupportive of the President.

The vast majority of Senators will vote down any sanction relief. So lets make sure they don't vote.

The names of the traitorous GOP Senators should be published and memorized and they need to be tarred and feathered in the streets like we used to do back in the 1800's to scoundrels.

I agree, but being tarred and feathered is too good for them. They should all be rounded up and sent to serve the rest of their lives in Guantanamo with the other U.S. terrorists. Not only am I distraught over these republicans, it's deeply disturbing to see Americans who wave the American flag in our faces defending these traitorous bastards.

I agree, but being tarred and feathered is too good for them. They should all be rounded up and sent to serve the rest of their lives in Guantanamo with the other U.S. terrorists. Not only am I distraught over these republicans, it's deeply disturbing to see Americans who wave the American flag in our faces defending these traitorous bastards.

This post is deeply disturbing.

:thumbdown

I haven't seen much in the way of "pro-Putin endeavors" from Trump, so that's why I asked what the GOP are protecting him from.

But yeah...I agree they are protecting Trump...from, as your article states, "an effort by Democrats to deal the Trump administration’s Russia sanctions policy an embarrassing rebuke."

Seems to me the Dems aren't so much interesting in seriously considering sanctions or how effective they have been. Rather they are more interested in how they can "rebuke" Trump.

Everyone, not only democrats, but both parties know 100% certainly that these sanctions have been the sticking point since 2012 when the US Congress passed a law in the name of Sergei Magnitsky that imposed sanctions on a list of Russian officials believed to be responsible for serious human rights violations, freezing any US assets they hold and banning them from entry into the United States. From that day forward, Putin schemed to get a way to get those removed. He needed the money to encroach and impose himself in the Baltics and other European nations. He needed to get those sanctions off, at ANY cost. That's where Trump entered the picture. He was the 'useful idiot' that Putin needed to complete the job.

Why do you think Paul Manafort had a back-channel to Oleg Deripaska and his money? That's because Deripaska couldn't do business here in the U.S. so they used a go-between, the Russian operative Konstantin Kilimnik.

160816-oleg-deripaska-vladimir-putin-jsw-316p-e1df88d201c7d5cbf6.jpg

Last edited:
One should ask: how does the US benefit from relieving sanctions on Oleg Deripaska's companies? Please, someone, explain that to me.

One is the second largest producer of Aluminium in the world. Presumably, US companies want to be able to buy aluminum and other goods they produce.

White nationalists, racists, "blow the government up" types, xenophobes, fake nooz, child molesters...so Republicans also embrace Russia, our foreign adversary...is that really so surprising?

Everyone, not only democrats, but both parties know 100% certainly that these sanctions have been the sticking point since 2012 when the US Congress passed a law in the name of Sergei Magnitsky that imposed sanctions on a list of Russian officials believed to be responsible for serious human rights violations, freezing any US assets they hold and banning them from entry into the United States. From that day forward, Putin schemed to get a way to get those removed. He needed the money to encroach and impose himself in the Baltics and other European nations. He needed to get those sanctions off, at ANY cost. That's where Trump entered the picture. He was the 'useful idiot' that Putin needed to complete the job.

These sanctions are not from the Magnitsky act, but as a proposed punishment for involvement in the 2016 election.

Back
Top Bottom