• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Democrats don't give a damn about the 4th amendment.

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
The latest in the never-ending saga of the Gingrich ethics story is now also a McDermott ethics story dealing with a cellular phone call. Our coverage begins with a report by Kwame Holman, followed by an analysis of the technical aspects of the intercepted phone call, and a discussion with two legislators.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KWAME HOLMAN: Even the most imaginative of political fiction writers would be hard pressed to top the tale Alice and John Martin told yesterday.

ALICE MARTIN: We're just scared.

JOHN MARTIN: We're just scared.

ALICE MARTIN: We really are.

KWAME HOLMAN: There they were on December 21st, they said, driving from their home in Fort White, Florida, to do some Christmas shopping in nearby Lake City. They were listening to a police scanner John Martin had gotten for his birthday. Also, there was a small cassette tape recorder in the car.

JOHN MARTIN: We kind of record stupid jingles and stuff off the TV set--off the TV and off the radio in the car and--

KWAME HOLMAN: At the same time the Martins were on the road so was Congressman John Boehner, a top member of the House Republican leadership. He was driving through the Lake City area, the last leg of a trip from his home in Ohio, to Marco Island off of Florida's West Coast. But then Boehner pulled off the road and picked up his car phone to join a conference call.

ALICE MARTIN: I was excited. I mean, I was so excited to think that I actually heard a real politician's voice.

KWAME HOLMAN: The Martins picked up the call on the police scanner and after a few minutes began recording it.

JOHN MARTIN: We thought it was just a part of history really. I mean--

KWAME HOLMAN: Among those participating in the conference call with Boehner were Republican Majority Leader Dick Armey, Republican Whip Tom Delay, New York Congressman Bill Paxon, and House Speaker Newt Gingrich, discussing possible responses to Ethics Committee charges against Gingrich to be disclosed later that day.

ALICE MARTIN: We're going to have a grandson at the end of January, and we were thinking how neat it would be to play this tape for him and him hear the voices of people that we thought were important. That's really all it was going to be is a little tape we put aside and when he was old enough to hear it, he could hear it.

KWAME HOLMAN: Included on the tape reportedly is this conversation: Congressman Paxon: "If we have several hours or a day go by when our members are out there without a response, it will be a disaster. That's right." Congressman Armey: "Right." Paxon: "When will we see your statement, Newt?". Speaker Gingrich: "My guess is--and I think they are running about 15 minutes late--my guess is we will have our statement out before noon." The Martins, long-time Democrats, gave the tape to Florida Congresswoman Karen Thurman, who later gave it back to the Martins and recommended they give it to Congressman Jim McDermott, the ranking Democrat on the Ethics Committee investigating Gingrich. In Washington last Wednesday the Martins waited for McDermott outside the Ethics Committee room in the capitol.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/congress/january97/cellular_1-14.html

You have got to read the rest of this story it's completely insane basicall these people claimed that they just happened to be driving around with a tape recorder and a police scanner, they just happened to pick up a telphone call of Newt Gringrich discussing Republican strategy for the house on said police scanner, they just happened to tape record this phone call, they just happened to give this tape recording to the Democratic Representative Mcdurmitt, Mcdurmitt just happened to give this tape recording to the New York Times, and the New York Times just happened to print this private telephone conversation all over the pages of the newspaper. It's really a quite remarkable bit of coincidence don't you think? :roll:

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
The latest in the never-ending saga of the Gingrich ethics story is now also a McDermott ethics story dealing with a cellular phone call. Our coverage begins with a report by Kwame Holman, followed by an analysis of the technical aspects of the intercepted phone call, and a discussion with two legislators.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KWAME HOLMAN: Even the most imaginative of political fiction writers would be hard pressed to top the tale Alice and John Martin told yesterday.

ALICE MARTIN: We're just scared.

JOHN MARTIN: We're just scared.

ALICE MARTIN: We really are.

KWAME HOLMAN: There they were on December 21st, they said, driving from their home in Fort White, Florida, to do some Christmas shopping in nearby Lake City. They were listening to a police scanner John Martin had gotten for his birthday. Also, there was a small cassette tape recorder in the car.

JOHN MARTIN: We kind of record stupid jingles and stuff off the TV set--off the TV and off the radio in the car and--

KWAME HOLMAN: At the same time the Martins were on the road so was Congressman John Boehner, a top member of the House Republican leadership. He was driving through the Lake City area, the last leg of a trip from his home in Ohio, to Marco Island off of Florida's West Coast. But then Boehner pulled off the road and picked up his car phone to join a conference call.

ALICE MARTIN: I was excited. I mean, I was so excited to think that I actually heard a real politician's voice.

KWAME HOLMAN: The Martins picked up the call on the police scanner and after a few minutes began recording it.

JOHN MARTIN: We thought it was just a part of history really. I mean--

KWAME HOLMAN: Among those participating in the conference call with Boehner were Republican Majority Leader Dick Armey, Republican Whip Tom Delay, New York Congressman Bill Paxon, and House Speaker Newt Gingrich, discussing possible responses to Ethics Committee charges against Gingrich to be disclosed later that day.

ALICE MARTIN: We're going to have a grandson at the end of January, and we were thinking how neat it would be to play this tape for him and him hear the voices of people that we thought were important. That's really all it was going to be is a little tape we put aside and when he was old enough to hear it, he could hear it.

KWAME HOLMAN: Included on the tape reportedly is this conversation: Congressman Paxon: "If we have several hours or a day go by when our members are out there without a response, it will be a disaster. That's right." Congressman Armey: "Right." Paxon: "When will we see your statement, Newt?". Speaker Gingrich: "My guess is--and I think they are running about 15 minutes late--my guess is we will have our statement out before noon." The Martins, long-time Democrats, gave the tape to Florida Congresswoman Karen Thurman, who later gave it back to the Martins and recommended they give it to Congressman Jim McDermott, the ranking Democrat on the Ethics Committee investigating Gingrich. In Washington last Wednesday the Martins waited for McDermott outside the Ethics Committee room in the capitol.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/congress/january97/cellular_1-14.html

You have got to read the rest of this story it's completely insane basicall these people claimed that they just happened to be driving around with a tape recorder and a police scanner, they just happened to pick up a telphone call of Newt Gringrich discussing Republican strategy for the house on said police scanner, they just happened to tape record this phone call, they just happened to give this tape recording to the Democratic Representative Mcdurmitt, Mcdurmitt just happened to give this tape recording to the New York Times, and the New York Times just happened to print this private telephone conversation all over the pages of the newspaper. It's really a quite remarkable bit of coincidence don't you think? :roll:

trajan, IMHO McDermott should not have leaked these tapes to the press. If you want to prosecute him - fine. If you're trying to point out hypocrisy - I see your point. But the Dems have been ALL OVER 4th amendment issues and their modern day clarification with FISA when it comes to recent discoveries of spying on American citizens.

hipsterdufus said:
trajan, IMHO McDermott should not have leaked these tapes to the press. If you want to prosecute him - fine. If you're trying to point out hypocrisy - I see your point. But the Dems have been ALL OVER 4th amendment issues and their modern day clarification with FISA when it comes to recent discoveries of spying on American citizens.

I just put crazy titles on my threads to get people so pissed off that they actually read my posts so that they can argue that I'm wrong, instead of just going right to the end of the thread, you're living proof that this actually works.

I just put crazy titles on my threads to get people so pissed off that they actually read my posts so that they can argue that I'm wrong, instead of just going right to the end of the thread, you're living proof that this actually works.

LOL I do the same thing, but sometimes no one reacts. It takes away the fun. :lol:

Ya but there's a differnce I'm always right even when I'm wrong. get it? ;) :2razz:

LOL Yes, yes, Trajan. Whatever you say...... ;)

oh you didn't get it it was a pun, a play on words, a (place generic descriptive phrase here).

the word right can mean correct but it can also be descriptive of ones political leaning. :2wave:

Ha ha ha You're right--I missed it. :3oops: Can I help it if I am a lefty without a brain? ;)

aps said:
Ha ha ha You're right--I missed it. :3oops: Can I help it if I am a lefty without a brain? ;)

No it's not your fault it's just that you don't know any better so we conservatives have got to take you by the hand and guide you through these things . . . zing! :mrgreen: :lol:

No it's not your fault it's just that you don't know any better so we conservatives have got to take you by the hand and guide you through these things . . . zing! :mrgreen: :lol:

Is there anything else you would like to guide me through? :shock: :lol:

I read your threads when they're under 10 pages. :wink:

Otherwise, send me the cliff's notes

Back
Top Bottom