• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats block Senate bill requiring medical care for babies that survive abortion

Kudos to Sen. Ben Sasse, R-Neb for going to the well of the Senate and offering up such a bill attempting to put all on record who were not willing to publicly stand up for the life for an infant surviving an abortion.

It really is heartbreaking in a society that claims to be so civil that anyone would support infanticide. But unfortunately around 15% do. This is bad news for Democrats because the percentage of those who identify pro-choice and those who identify as pro-life it is pretty equally divided nationally. But when you dig into those who identify pro-choice a good number believe abortions should be rare and when it comes to something the left has recently been pushing in some states that is infanticide they do not support such a thing.

By blocking the vote Democrats just nailed a few nails in their own coffins come 2020.

millions of republicans are proc choice
abortion =/= infanticide
:shrug:

That's what you get when you get your news from the Washington Examiner.

What the law says

Read the actual law

"Fact Check" could have simply answered "YES" because the law was specifically written to allow full term abortions.

Also, you seem unable to read what I wrote. The problem being addressed in the Sasse bill is that the law fails to adequately define "health and life" of the mother and child. Who do you allow to define that? In other abortion threads we get abortion proponents defining the "life" of the mother holistically in terms of her earning potential, stress of being a mother, etc.. and a whole host of other things that really aren't comparable to the actual taking of a life in totality... and yet the pro-choice folks do it anyway to justify abortion.

So what you want to sell is that a movement that pushes relentlessly for any-time, any-reason abortions suddenly has a heart and a moral compass? Pull the other one. These abortionists alter how they kill babies already to maximize harvested organs... they're ghouls.

The Republican law was merely requiring the portion of the NY law that was removed that required an actual attending physician in the case that there was baby born alive... nope! says the Democrats.

Let's look over the "pro-choice" fights that the Democrats have waged over the last decade or so...

Democrats are against:

1) Limiting abortion to first trimester

2) Putting requirements on justification for abortion

3) Applying hospital cleanliness code to rooms where abortions are conducted

4) Requirements that the abortionist have residency at a local hospital

5) Requirements that a doctor even be present at an abortion...

All adds up to Democrats really really really want those babies to die...

But then without the abortion mills, Democrats might loose one of their major money laundering schemes...

"Fact Check" could have simply answered "YES" because the law was specifically written to allow full term abortions.

You don't get to decide for NYS the rationale for their actions. That's up to the legislature, who specifically put their intent into the law.

20 Therefore, it is the intent of the legislature to prevent the enforce-
21 ment of laws or regulations that are not in furtherance of a legitimate
22 state interest in protecting a woman's health that burden abortion
23 access.

Under previous law, abortion over 24 weeks was a criminal act. The RHA removes abortion from the state’s penal code altogether (starting on page 3, line 4.) Now, if an abortion over 24 weeks is medically sanctioned, it is not a crime to perform one.

I think every thinking person should consider these changes reasonable. This law is one of many that got me campaigning for State Senators that turned the NYS Senate blue.

It's in the law. The law only requires a "health care practitioner" -

https://legislation.nysenate.gov/pdf/bills/2017/S2796

Also, note that the law doesn't require the imminent threat of death of the mother or the baby. It only requires that the abortion be necessary to protect the patient's life or health. Basically, if a patient feels that actually having that baby that's currently crowning in her cervix is a threat to her long term mental health and the medical practitioner agrees then there is no crime if they terminate the life of that baby.

I don't know if you know this, but a licensed "health care practitioner" includes nurse-midwives and nurse practitioners. Why do you believe they are not qualified to perform an abortion?

I really don't understand this need for Democrats to be so pro-abortion that they can justify the taking of a viable life just because it's inconvenient or might be a mental strain on the mother. What's next for them? How much farther are they willing to go?

Cutting the head of the baby as it emerges from the womb is now legal. Kind of reminds me of the way the Muslims remove the heads of their victims.

You don't get to decide for NYS the rationale for their actions. That's up to the legislature, who specifically put their intent into the law.

Man, it's amazing how quickly a liberal will go full authoritarian when you interfere wit their desire to kill viable babies.

And the intent of NYS doesn't mean ****. What they have ACTUALLY have done is deregulate abortion to the point of decriminalizing infanticide.

Under previous law, abortion over 24 weeks was a criminal act. The RHA removes abortion from the state’s penal code altogether (starting on page 3, line 4.) Now, if an abortion over 24 weeks is medically sanctioned, it is not a crime to perform one.

I think every thinking person should consider these changes reasonable. This law is one of many that got me campaigning for State Senators that turned the NYS Senate blue.

You are simply arguing for infanticide and trying to defend it because it's teh law now... it's monstrous. Slavery was one the law, too. Genocide was once they law. You are arguing on that side of the law.

Rabid hysterics. This law would undermine parental determination and require fetuses to be given life support even if completely non-viable.

Exactly no woman on earth is going to abort what she worked to build for nine months.

I am so absolutely sick and tired of the fear mongering and hysterics of a bunch of butt hurt, sallow, yellow conservatives over this.

You're LYING. You're pitching falsehoods.

And you're disgusting for doing it.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...medical-care-for-babies-that-survive-abortion

"Senate Democrats on Monday blocked an effort to pass legislation clarifying that babies who survive attempted abortions must receive medical care."

New NY abortion law eliminates the requirement that medical attention be provided for an infant born from a failed abortion...

Oh, don't worry! We're told that the removal of the requirement for medical attention doesn't mean it won't be done! Forget that the abortionist doesn't even need to be a doctor anymore....

OK, well, so let's have a federal law that removes the gray area that lets abortionists kill babies they meant to kill in utero...

"Nope!" say the Democrats...

Democrats really really really want those babies dead.

technically that would be considered murder.
if the baby survives and is born then they are considered a person with full rights given.

if someone actually did this. not only is it murder but pre-meditated murder. they could get life
in prison.

Those seeking late term abortions are doing so because the baby is not viable or has a severe life threatening defect. Why would you want the child to be forced to be kept alive and in pain? That is the sickening part. This bill is just to play politics with abortion and nothing more.

once a baby is born it is a person with full rights and privs. letting it die is pre-meditated murder.

once a baby is born it is a person with full rights and privs. letting it die is pre-meditated murder.

right now it isn’t when an abortion is peformed. An abortion is an abortion thankfully. I wouldn’t want to keep a terminally ill baby alive and in pain to satisfy pro lifers sick and twisted morality. Better get used to reality and not your idiotic conclusion.

right now it isn’t when an abortion is peformed. An abortion is an abortion thankfully. I wouldn’t want to keep a terminally ill baby alive and in pain to satisfy pro lifers sick and twisted morality. Better get used to reality and not your idiotic conclusion.

wrong. if it survives that abortion it is not an aborted baby. it is a person at that point with full rights and privileges.
if it requires medical attention then that must be given more so if the baby is healthy.

not doing so is murder pre-meditated at that.

The purpose of an abortion is to end the life of a fetus.
The purpose of an execution is to end the life of an adult.

Why get squeamish about the process or the timing? To me the words seem interchangeable.

I am not sure this bill does what everyone thinks it does.

It seems to blur the lines on what happens during the abortion process, forcing the doctor to make a determination on the status if the "child is born alive." Basically making the doctor decide what "born alive" is with awkward wording and then applying care no matter what the reasoning was for the abortion.

This one may be a wedge issue fan the flames kind of bill, designed to provoke an argument over some sort of solution.

Rabid hysterics. This law would undermine parental determination and require fetuses to be given life support even if completely non-viable.

Are you really referring to born babies as "fetuses" AFTER they are birthed?

Exactly no woman on earth is going to abort what she worked to build for nine months.

Just stop with this...Unless you've interviewed exactly every woman in the United States, there is NO way you can make this statement...

I am so absolutely sick and tired of the fear mongering and hysterics of a bunch of butt hurt, sallow, yellow conservatives over this.

Then if I were you, I'd consider ignoring threads like this, for your own well being.

You're LYING. You're pitching falsehoods.

And you're disgusting for doing it.

Who are you talking to? You've quoted no one, yet you seem to be addressing someone....Maybe the voices in your head....

Can you cite the law that says an unviable baby must be given full life support? The law that says if your baby is born unable to breathe on its own, eat on its own, urinate on its own, defecate on its own, and so on, must be placed on life support or the parents will be charged with first degree murder?

Man, it's amazing how quickly a liberal will go full authoritarian when you interfere wit their desire to kill viable babies.

And the intent of NYS doesn't mean ****. What they have ACTUALLY have done is deregulate abortion to the point of decriminalizing infanticide.

You are simply arguing for infanticide and trying to defend it because it's teh law now... it's monstrous. Slavery was one the law, too. Genocide was once they law. You are arguing on that side of the law.
What part of medically sanctioned do you not understand? No medical professional is going to sanction a late-term abortion if it was medically necessary or the fetus was not viable.

From my reading of the bill, it's entirely reasonable. What was unreasonable was the previous law, that criminalized abortions, over 24 weeks, with no exception.

Can you cite the law that says an unviable baby must be given full life support? The law that says if your baby is born unable to breathe on its own, eat on its own, urinate on its own, defecate on its own, and so on, must be placed on life support or the parents will be charged with first degree murder?

Those laws don't exist, and one wonders why when you consider the host of other countries that protect the fetus from conception with the same right to life as the mother.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_rights#Fetal_rights_by_country

What part of medically sanctioned do you not understand? No medical professional is going to sanction a late-term abortion if it was medically necessary or the fetus was not viable.

From my reading of the bill, it's entirely reasonable. What was unreasonable was the previous law, that criminalized abortions, over 24 weeks, with no exception.

Was Kermit Gosnell a "medical professional" before his shop of horrors was exposed?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...medical-care-for-babies-that-survive-abortion

"Senate Democrats on Monday blocked an effort to pass legislation clarifying that babies who survive attempted abortions must receive medical care."

New NY abortion law eliminates the requirement that medical attention be provided for an infant born from a failed abortion...

Oh, don't worry! We're told that the removal of the requirement for medical attention doesn't mean it won't be done! Forget that the abortionist doesn't even need to be a doctor anymore....

OK, well, so let's have a federal law that removes the gray area that lets abortionists kill babies they meant to kill in utero...

"Nope!" say the Democrats...

Democrats really really really want those babies dead.

Did you know any preemie born before 21 weeks will not survive more than few minutes or hours no matter how much medical care it receives. Why do wish for a preemie that young to suffer having tubes that are big for their tiny bony shoved into them causing pain they should never have to go through?

Republicans back at it, when they don't have power, they push the anti-abortion bills, then get their idiot constituency up in a frenzy. When they have power and could pass anti abortion laws, they do nothing.

And the idiot anti abortion people continue to buy this for decades. how dumb/delusional can one be?

So you defend full term abortions?

Yes, when the baby is terminal or will have no quality of life, or the mother's life is at risk. Being against that is what would make people sick. yeah, lets have a baby who will undergo nothing but procedures, be in pain, have no quality of life, should be born to suffer. A mother who could die if she delivers must be forced to deliver and die. Talk about sick.

anti abortion, dishonest hacks can continually makes stuff up and twist the real point, doesn't change the facts. As usual, it just make them look like dishonest assholes

I swear, reading some of the responses in this thread are just ridiculous....What a wonderful built in excuse they have....See, if the baby survives the abortionist ripping it apart to get it out, it won't have a quality of life so we should kill it....Wonderful society we are building here.

Reminds me of the Eugenics nuts of the late 20s and 30s like Bernard Shaw....Oh, and Margret Sanger...The racist.

This is why conservatives are assholes, they make things up, fake positions the opposition don't even take, and then argue against that because they can't actually argue the facts

wrong. if it survives that abortion it is not an aborted baby. it is a person at that point with full rights and privileges.
if it requires medical attention then that must be given more so if the baby is healthy.

not doing so is murder pre-meditated at that.

Almost all late term abortions are happening because the baby ISN'T Healthy, that's the point. This is why this bill is just political nonsense.

ludin just made that up

I have yet to encounter an anti-abortion rights person that does not make up lies

Back
Top Bottom