• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Democrats and the '04 Election

Will dems ever get over losing the '04 presidential election?

• No - whimpering about it is all they live for.

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Yes, in maybe 20 years.

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
Navy Pride said:
Kerry votes on laws that affect this country....His liberal beliefs along with the other liberals in the senate can destroy this country......What part of that do you not understand?

Stop drinking the koolaid NP. Look into my crystal ball and let me show you the road we didn't take in 2000.

crystal_ball_lg.jpg

President Al Gore's 2nd term:

1. Less abortions : Gore wrote in 1984 that “abortion is arguably taking a life" but was in favor of keeping abortion safe legal and rare through family planning, and easier access to adoption for young unwed mothers. Remember abortions are UP under W compared to Clinton.

2. 9/11 disaster averted:possibly. The Bush administration was focused on a missile-defense shield in 2000. They wanted little or nothing to do with the Clinton/Gore team in terms of a transition. The mere fact that transitioning from Clinton to Gore would have made the change in administration smoother certainly would have given America more of a chance to avert 9/11. Remember I said possibly.

3. No war in Iraq as response to 9/11: Gore, as all presidents before W would have used war as a last resort, not pre-emptively striking a country that didn't attack us.

4. If 9/11 happened under Gore watch, with no Iraq war, we would have concentrated more on:
a. Tracking down/killing OBL
b. Strengthening our borders and ports

5. Hurricane Katrina - averted possibly.
In his 1993 book "Earth In The Balance," Gore specifically wrote about the future effects of global warming on the low-lying areas of southern Louisiana.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/russell-shaw/1993-gore-book-warns-lou_b_6850.html

There are more quotes from Gore's book at the site. The Druggie Limbaugh tagged Gore an "Environmental Whacko" how shortsighted that seems now in the wake of Katrina.

6. National Debt in line to be paid off by 2013 rather than current 8 trillion plus debt.

7. Smaller Government - Remember it was Clinton/Gore who made the Government smaller - Bush has expanded it.

8. Patriot Act would have never passed in current form assuming 9/11 wasn't averted. At the very least the initial bill would have been debated rather than passed without being read.

9. Discrimination against same sex civil unions, and gay couple's rights to adopt would be fought on every level. NP - you might not like that, but again, that helps to keep abortions down.

10. Clinton's idiotic "Don't Ask Don't Tell" eliminated

11. NCLB never sees the light of day. Increased Govt. aide for College tuition. Increased Head Start and After School Programs to keep kids off the streets and lower crime. Basically we invest in our future - our children.

12. Gore favors Open Government Amendment, long time supporter of Campaign finance reform and free ad time for candidates. (No Abramoff types allowed if reform goes as far as he would want it)

13. 45 million Americans aren't without Healthcare.

14. Millions of Latinos aren't protesting in the street over the GOP trying to make them felons, knowing that Gore will veto any wedge du jour legislation.

NP you may not like or agree with all of this, but it's all plausible, and certainly doesn't "destroy" the country at all. I would say it's just the reverse.

P.S. As of 3/28/06 the DJIA is at 15,583.09 (9% growth a year from 2000 when it was at 11723)

hipsterdufus said:
Stop drinking the koolaid NP. Look into my crystal ball and let me show you the road we didn't take in 2000.

crystal_ball_lg.jpg

President Al Gore's 2nd term:

1. Less abortions : Gore wrote in 1984 that “abortion is arguably taking a life" but was in favor of keeping abortion safe legal and rare through family planning, and easier access to adoption for young unwed mothers. Remember abortions are UP under W compared to Clinton.

2. 9/11 disaster averted:possibly. The Bush administration was focused on a missile-defense shield in 2000. They wanted little or nothing to do with the Clinton/Gore team in terms of a transition. The mere fact that transitioning from Clinton to Gore would have made the change in administration smoother certainly would have given America more of a chance to avert 9/11. Remember I said possibly.

3. No war in Iraq as response to 9/11: Gore, as all presidents before W would have used war as a last resort, not pre-emptively striking a country that didn't attack us.

4. If 9/11 happened under Gore watch, with no Iraq war, we would have concentrated more on:
a. Tracking down/killing OBL
b. Strengthening our borders and ports

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/russell-shaw/1993-gore-book-warns-lou_b_6850.html

There are more quotes from Gore's book at the site. The Druggie Limbaugh tagged Gore an "Environmental Whacko" how shortsighted that seems now in the wake of Katrina.

6. National Debt in line to be paid off by 2013 rather than current 8 trillion plus debt.

7. Smaller Government - Remember it was Clinton/Gore who made the Government smaller - Bush has expanded it.

8. Patriot Act would have never passed in current form assuming 9/11 wasn't averted. At the very least the initial bill would have been debated rather than passed without being read.

9. Discrimination against same sex civil unions, and gay couple's rights to adopt would be fought on every level. NP - you might not like that, but again, that helps to keep abortions down.

10. Clinton's idiotic "Don't Ask Don't Tell" eliminated

11. NCLB never sees the light of day. Increased Govt. aide for College tuition. Increased Head Start and After School Programs to keep kids off the streets and lower crime. Basically we invest in our future - our children.

12. Gore favors Open Government Amendment, long time supporter of Campaign finance reform and free ad time for candidates. (No Abramoff types allowed if reform goes as far as he would want it)

13. 45 million Americans aren't without Healthcare.

14. Millions of Latinos aren't protesting in the street over the GOP trying to make them felons, knowing that Gore will veto any wedge du jour legislation.

NP you may not like or agree with all of this, but it's all plausible, and certainly doesn't "destroy" the country at all. I would say it's just the reverse.

P.S. As of 3/28/06 the DJIA is at 15,583.09 (9% growth a year from 2000
when it was at 11723)

1. Gore would sell his soul to be president........Did you know he use to be pro life? Did you know he was the Basis for the movie "Love story." Did you now that he invented the internet.........I have no use for Kerry but at least he had enough class to concede when he lost........

Gore is just like Kerry he would ask for a permission slip from the corrupt Germans and French before we did anything.......If Gore or Kerry were president we would of had at least a dozen more terrorist attacks........

I am no huge fan of GWB but I think him and Ashcroft and the PA for keeping this country safe in spite of all the obstruction by the democrats and the left........

Navy Pride said:
1. Gore would sell his soul to be president If that were true, he would have asked a Senator to stop the certification of W

Navy Pride said:
Did you know he use to be pro life?
Me too. People change. I used to like Scotch, now, not so much.

Navy Pride said:
Did you know he was the Basis for the movie "Love story."
Yes he is. Look it up and get back to me.

Navy Pride said:
Did you now that he invented the internet

He never claimed that he did.

From Snopes:
Claim: Vice-President Al Gore claimed that he "invented" the Internet.

Origins: Despite the derisive references that continue even today, Al Gore did not claim he "invented" the Internet, nor did he say anything that could reasonably be interpreted that way. The "Al Gore said he 'invented' the Internet" put-downs were misleading, out-of-context distortions of something he said during an interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN's "Late Edition" program on 9 March 1999. When asked to describe what distinguished him from his challenger for the Democratic presidential nomination, Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey, Gore replied (in part):
During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.

Clearly, although Gore's phrasing was clumsy (and perhaps self-serving), he was not claiming that he "invented" the Internet (in the sense of having designed or implemented it), but that he was responsible, in an economic and legislative sense, for fostering the development the technology that we now know as the Internet. To claim that Gore was seriously trying to take credit for the "invention" of the Internet is, frankly, just silly political posturing that arose out of a close presidential campaign.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Navy Pride said:
Gore is just like Kerry he would ask for a permission slip from the corrupt Germans and French before we did anything.......If Gore or Kerry were president we would of had at least a dozen more terrorist attacks........
Pure speculation. The right-wing noise machine will say the same thing about any candidate that the Dem's put up in 08, even if we nominate the clone of George S. Patton, Jr I've been cooking up in my basement. Book it.

Navy Pride said:
I am no huge fan of GWB but I think him and Ashcroft and the PA for keeping this country safe in spite of all the obstruction by the democrats and the left........

PA = Paul Anka? Paula Abdul? Pasta Alfredo? I'm a little tired....

I think we've been extremely lucky not to get hit. Remember the 9/11 hijackers were preparing for this starting in 1990 or 1991 according to the 9/11 commission report. Every time we check our level of preparedness, we fail miserably. The following is from just last week.

Airline screeners fail government bomb tests

21 airports nationwide don’t detect bomb-making materials

By Lisa Myers, Rich Gardella & the NBC Investigative Unit
NBC News
Updated: 8:00 p.m. ET March 16, 2006

WASHINGTON - Imagine an explosion strong enough to blow a car’s trunk apart, caused by a bomb inside a passenger plane. Government sources tell NBC News that federal investigators recently were able to carry materials needed to make a similar homemade bomb through security screening at 21 airports.

In all 21 airports tested, no machine, no swab, no screener anywhere stopped the bomb materials from getting through. Even when investigators deliberately triggered extra screening of bags, no one discovered the materials.

NBC News briefed former New Jersey Gov. Tom Kean, chairman of the 9/11 commission, on the results.

“I’m appalled,” he said. “I’m dismayed and, yes, to a degree, it does surprise me. Because I thought the Department of Homeland Security was making some progress on this, and evidently they’re not.”
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11863165/

Yet who is cutting security for our ports? The GOP.
I would show this picture in every commercial for the mid-terms.

Right-Wing Blocks Funding For Port Security, Disaster Preparedness

port%20vote_edit.JPG

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/03/16/port-security-funding/

Last edited:
hips there is nothing this president could do that would make you happy short of committing suicide..............

Navy Pride said:
hips there is nothing this president could do that would make you happy short of committing suicide..............

Um, there's no way for you to know that.

Navy Pride said:

I agree with most of Bush's current stance on immigration. It's much more humane than what the House passed.

Germany didn't attacked us - FDR took us to war anyway (pre-emptively)
Vietnam didn't attacked us - Kennedy took us to war anyway (pre-emptively - Johnson esculated the war on a lie)
Korea didn't attack us - Truman took us to war (pre-emptively)

Clinton robbed Social Security to make it look like there was a surplus (in the budget). However, we incurred more debt every year Clinton was in office.

Table of National Debt for years 1993 - 2000

09/30/2000 - $5,674,178,209,886.86
09/30/1999 - $5,656,270,901,615.43
09/30/1998 - $5,526,193,008,897.62
09/30/1997 - $5,413,146,011,397.34
09/30/1996 - $5,224,810,939,135.73
09/29/1995 - $4,973,982,900,709.39
09/30/1994 - $4,692,749,910,013.32
09/30/1993 - $4,411,488,883,139.38

http://www.publicdebt.treas.gov/opd/opdhisto4.htm

2. 9/11 disaster averted:possibly.

I don't believe you have any room to tell someone else to stop drinking the kool-aid with these absurd comments.

Arthur Fonzarelli said:
Germany didn't attacked us - FDR took us to war anyway (pre-emptively)
Vietnam didn't attacked us - Kennedy took us to war anyway (pre-emptively - Johnson esculated the war on a lie)
Korea didn't attack us - Truman took us to war (pre-emptively)

Germany was trying to take over most of Europe. Germany was attacking many of our allies. It was definitely way more extreme of a situation than Iraq. There was definite, no doubt about it, evidence that the Germans were attacking our allies (our reason for going to war).

Republicans assume that we're going to support everything a Democrat President does. I don't think we should have gone to Vietnam or Korea either. If you'll remember, it was liberal hippies that were primarily opposing the war in Vietnam.

afr0byte said:
Um, there's no way for you to know that.

All you have to do is watch CSPAN and you will see it........

Well maybe not you...........

Navy Pride said:
All you have to do is watch CSPAN and you will see it........

Well maybe not you...........

Is hips on CSPAN?

afr0byte said:
Well you specifically said there was nothing Bush could do to make hips happy.

With all due respect you really need to read what I type........I said short of President Bush committing suicide.......

Navy Pride said:
With all due respect you really need to read what I type........I said short of President Bush committing suicide.......

I read that, but there's still no way you can prove that.

lily said:
Thanks to some Republicans finally standing up and speaking out against Bush and his policies, especially in Iraq, the silly and childish........."why do you hate America" finally stopped. People can now speak and not only not be called Anti-American........but we don't get "you're just embolding the troops", thrown in our faces as a debate tactic.

What? Just because the Republicans are admitting their own eagerness to sell out the people for votes...look at the Mexican Invasion issue for proof...doesn't mean that Democrats aren't still as rabidly anti-American as ever.

Sure they are, it's just that the Republican's mask is slipping, is all.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
...doesn't mean that Democrats aren't still as rabidly anti-American as ever.

Are you on crack? Democrats are not anti-American.

afr0byte said:
Are you on crack? Democrats are not anti-American.

No, I'm not on crack. You've clearly have drunk more than your share of bathtub gin and you're blind to what the Democrats are up to.

They're ****in' globalists. That's the epitome of anti-Americanism.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
No, I'm not on crack. You've clearly have drunk more than your share of bathtub gin and you're blind to what the Democrats are up to.

They're ****in' globalists. That's the epitome of anti-Americanism.

This flies in the face of reason...especially with what the Bush administration has done. Globalism is basically defined as caring about the independence of the world even at the expense of national self interest.

This fits Bush far more then any Democrat.

Hoot said:
This fits Bush far more then any Democrat.

So? You're not arguing that because the Republicans are anti-American that the Democrats can't be even more so, are you?

The leaders of both parties are concerned with only one thing: personal power. If that means securing a temporary advantage by a bit of treason, then so be it. Clinton was the worst in that regards, but I'm sure we'll find things the Republicans have done that are almost as clear cut, given time.

Back
Top Bottom