• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democratic voters only - Do you think Pete Buttigieg has a chance to be the Dem. nominee?

On a scale from 1-10 (1 being no chance, 10 being a very good chance)...

• Total voters

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
For those who are most likely going to vote for the Democratic side in 2024….please vote in this poll.

Everyone (in comments) - Do you think Mayor Pete has a chance to be the Democratic nominee? Would you want him to be the nominee? Where do you think he is in the list of top Democrats for president right now?

Unless there's a gigantic shift in the fabric of society in the near future, there's no chance of him being the nominee. America has very little appetite for a woman as President, let a lone a black woman. We saw how a gay man polled in the Primaries, and if he had been the nominee Trump absolutely would have been reelected.

For those who are most likely going to vote for the Democratic side in 2024….please vote in this poll.

Everyone (in comments) - Do you think Mayor Pete has a chance to be the Democratic nominee? Would you want him to be the nominee? Where do you think he is in the list of top Democrats for president right now?
Sure. He has a chance. He'd make a better puppet than Biden.

Unless there's a gigantic shift in the fabric of society in the near future, there's no chance of him being the nominee. America has very little appetite for a woman as President, let a lone a black woman. We saw how a gay man polled in the Primaries, and if he had been the nominee Trump absolutely would have been reelected.

But it would be Democrats voting him as the nominee and Democrats voting for him as President. Would some Democrats not vote for him even if he was the nominee?

You may be right about the general election, but this is a poll concerning only the DNC POTUS primary contest. Of course, one would have to know who else is running to make a SWAG as to his chances of coming out on top.

I am not a Democrat so I didn't vote. He most definitely "could" be the nominee but he won't be because he is not electable nationally. Unfortunately, even in this day and age a gay married man with two children is not electable. Maybe someday but not yet. There are Democratic groups that are not supportive of Gay marriage, especially within the Black and Latino sectors plus of course amongst Independents. Without those blocks, you can't win nationally.

I am assuming the 2024 DNC POTUS primary, but that’s an important question.
I'm sure that's what was meant, but I won't buy into the 'President Biden is too ____ to be the nominee' until he says he isn't running.

But it would be Democrats voting him as the nominee and Democrats voting for him as President. Would some Democrats not vote for him even if he was the nominee?
A gay candidate like Pete is going to have an uphill battle with black voters.

You may be right about the general election, but this is a poll concerning only the DNC POTUS primary contest. Of course, one would have to know who else is running to make a SWAG as to his chances of coming out on top.
You're not going to disentangle the goals of the Primary from the goals of the National. The Primary process is useful because you can follow in real time how the rest of the nation views the candidates. And there's no point in choosing a Primary candidate that the rest of the country isn't interested in. And Buttigieg's polling was catastrophic. Trump could have murdered every single Girl Scout in the country with his bare hands on national television and he would have gotten a mandate on November 3. Pete's polling was that bad.

A Primary is basically like a Christmas wish list. You can ask for anything you want, but the Primary is going to tell you what you're going to get. Just like I asked for Elizabeth Warren, but Santa said "No."

America might be able to elect a gay man, but it would have to be one on the right - one who plays down his gayness and commits to autocratic principles that the far right identifies.

A US-born version of Peter Thiel, for instance.

I think Kamala is about as appealing to the average American as Mike Pence. Each had their place in the election process, to bring one narrow group of the electorate on board. Pence's job was to appear WASP and Hoosier. Kamala's was to appear Black and Coastal. Few presidential candidates appear to give much thought to Actual geographic, ethnic, ideological diversity and serious intelectual qualification to the ticket. We can only hope they do a more thoughtful job of picking their cabinet. As to mayor Pete, of all the 2 dozen plus candidates on the Democratic primary stage in 2020, there were only two that I thought would be intesting to have a conversation with. They were the only ones seeming to answer questions from their own mind, not a Democrat-Saul Alinsky script. Those two were Tulsi Gabbard and Mayor Pete.

Mayor Pete has has about the same chance as loser Gavin Newsom, or loser AOC.

Bernie Sanders is still more popular than the mayor Pete. Who with his "husband" recently took off several weeks of "maternity leave" LOL. Did you catch that? Two MEN took off for PAID maternity leave, after adopting a child..... you know, from a WOMAN/mother who actually delivered the baby.....you know.... from a uterus, and through her vagina/birth canal.

But the two "men" somehow needed time to I guess recover from the painful physical trauma associated with adopting a child.

No way is that guy going to win the nomination. Not a chance.

Sure. He has a chance. He'd make a better puppet than Biden.
Again, you don't seem to understand what a President is: A President, who respects the Office of The Presidency, knows the jobs is based within working by and with the Presidential Cabinet and Departments and Divisions, for Information and Means to address civic and civil issues and concerns. And a President knows its important to work to promote positive outcomes by working with the Legislature. A President, Respects, the independence of the Judiciary System.

We don't have a "Tyrant", we are not designed for a "Dictator" and we don't have a "Monarch".... therefore we DO NOT have a Presidential Office Holder who can Preside by "decree"...

Trump tried to Preside by "Decree" and damaged and insulted our entire system and its separation of powers, and made a mockery of the Cabinet, while insulting and degrading Departments and Divisions within the Government.

Again, you don't seem to understand what a President is: A President, who respects the Office of The Presidency, knows the jobs is based within working by and with the Presidential Cabinet and Departments and Divisions, for Information and Means to address civic and civil issues and concerns. And a President knows its important to work to promote positive outcomes by working with the Legislature. A President, Respects, the independence of the Judiciary System.

We don't have a "Tyrant", we are not designed for a "Dictator" and we don't have a "Monarch".... therefore we DO NOT have a Presidential Office Holder who can Preside by "decree"...

Trump tried to Preside by "Decree" and damaged and insulted our entire system and its separation of powers, and made a mockery of the Cabinet, while insulting and degrading Departments and Divisions within the Government.
"Trump"???

What does this have to do with Trump?

btw, I didn't say anything about a "President". The OP's question was about Buttigieg having a chance at being the Dem nominee.

Jesus, dude...you missed the point all around this time...didn't you?

btw...you are dismissed.

Mayor Pete has has about the same chance as loser Gavin Newsom, or loser AOC.

Bernie Sanders is still more popular than the mayor Pete. Who with his "husband" recently took off several weeks of "maternity leave" LOL. Did you catch that? Two MEN took off for PAID maternity leave, after adopting a child..... you know, from a WOMAN/mother who actually delivered the baby.....you know.... from a uterus, and through her vagina/birth canal.

But the two "men" somehow needed time to I guess recover from the painful physical trauma associated with adopting a child.

No way is that guy going to win the nomination. Not a chance.
It’s called paternity leave and, yes, it needs to be taken after adopting a child. Especially an infant.

I don't think America would vote for a gay man to be president, but aside from that, he comes off as very condescending and unlikable.

I don't think America would vote for a gay man to be president, but aside from that, he comes off as very condescending and unlikable.
Although I don't think he is electable he comes off just the opposite to me, likeable, smart, engaging and real..

It’s called paternity leave and, yes, it needs to be taken after adopting a child. Especially an infant.
For what reason? Unless a father is taking leave to care for his WIFE who is recovering from the childbirth, what exactly do two MEN need to take leave for, especially both of them?

When my kids were born I took the day off and was back to work the next day. Sorry, but my point is that Americans are not going to elect some man to be president who acted this entitled. It may play well in SF and Greenwich Village, but across the country this just seems really lame.

"Trump"???

What does this have to do with Trump?

btw, I didn't say anything about a "President". The OP's question was about Buttigieg having a chance at being the Dem nominee.

Jesus, dude...you missed the point all around this time...didn't you?

btw...you are dismissed.
I got the point of the question... it was because Buttigieg is Gay.

My point is ... if people know what the Job Role and Responsibilities of a President is... It does not matter if its Man, Woman, or Whether They are Gay or Straight. It should be about "their ability to Honor The Constitution, and know the meaning and value and principles laid out in the Preamble, as to what the Constitutional Objectives were designed to meet, facilitate and advance our nations and society.

Personally, I don't care if he's Gay or Straight, that's their own personal life, I'm not looking to sleep with him or who ever is in the White House..
For Me, It's about The Administrations Intellectual Capacity to Do The Jobs, The Integrity and Character To Respect The Dignity of Office and The Dignified Sensibilities to Respect ALL OF SOCIETY, regardless who is sitting in the seat as President.

As to people, it does not matter in the human spectrum what people call themselves. as to Nation, whether people are caught into Political Gangs, be it what ever that Political Gang calls itself. We are all 'FIRST AND FOREMOST" ALL.... American Citizens. It's up to PEOPLE to learn the Civics of our Republic form of Government and our Representative Democracy and what that means to each individual, who gets "One Person, One Vote".

A divided people only benefits the wealthy and is destructive to our systems and society. Every Citizen of America is impacted by Legislation; therefore it is best to create Legislation that has a primary concern and principle objective to serve and advance society for the growth and development of people and nation.

Right now I believe Mayor Pete has as good a chance as any, and better than most.

He's my first choice! Was last time, too. Barring Bernie.

I wouldn’t vote for him, but I gave him a 6

I think Kamala is about as appealing to the average American as Mike Pence. Each had their place in the election process, to bring one narrow group of the electorate on board. Pence's job was to appear WASP and Hoosier. Kamala's was to appear Black and Coastal. Few presidential candidates appear to give much thought to Actual geographic, ethnic, ideological diversity and serious intelectual qualification to the ticket. We can only hope they do a more thoughtful job of picking their cabinet.

I think this is an insightful post; thank you!

As to mayor Pete, of all the 2 dozen plus candidates on the Democratic primary stage in 2020, there were only two that I thought would be intesting to have a conversation with. They were the only ones seeming to answer questions from their own mind, not a Democrat-Saul Alinsky script. Those two were Tulsi Gabbard and Mayor Pete.

Pete's by far the most interesting candidate, IMO. I might have added Andrew Yang to your list of two, though. At the least, Andrew's ideas are hella' interesting.

And I'm going to go against the grain, and put in a word for whom might have been the most 'boring' 2020 candidate - Amy Klobuchar!

Yes, Amy's boring. But boring in a good way. Midwestern, moderate, commonsense, humble, contrite non-reactive boring. She seems to embody those old Pre-Trump Midwestern values of yesteryear, what we used to call "Midwestern Sensibilities". I miss those values! I think she would have made a good, calm, sensible President. The literal antithesis to Trump.

I wouldn’t vote for him, but I gave him a 6

Now I feel a bit remiss. I would vote for him. And I too gave him only a '6', too. I should have given him a 7 or 8.

Back
Top Bottom