• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democratic lawmaker hits justice as ‘Uncle Thomas’

I know that you'll end up rejecting my wisdom again (at your expense of course), but it's not a racist term ... but it is pejorative and meant to hurt and to hurt deeply, although Thomas would be unfazed by it ... I don't like labeling people in this way, but what the term conveys is absolutely applicable in Thomas's case ... appointing Thomas to the Court was a master stroke by Daddy Bush -- a black man that would be party to racist policies and decisions against blacks and because he was probably the least qualified judge ever to be appointed to the Court, it struck a blow against affirmative action at the same time -- but consider the irony ... he was truly appointed because he was a black conservative, but is opposed to affirmative action (ALTHOUGH he was not an affirmative action appointee because affirmative action requires that you be qualified, and he clearly was not). Hope this helps Fenton.

The only Whites who are called Uncle Toms are men called Tom who happen to be Uncles. It is clearly a racist term, and has been at least since the days of MLK.

I know that you'll end up rejecting my wisdom again (at your expense of course), but it's not a racist term ... but it is pejorative and meant to hurt and to hurt deeply, although Thomas would be unfazed by it ... I don't like labeling people in this way, but what the term conveys is absolutely applicable in Thomas's case ... appointing Thomas to the Court was a master stroke by Daddy Bush -- a black man that would be party to racist policies and decisions against blacks and because he was probably the least qualified judge ever to be appointed to the Court, it struck a blow against affirmative action at the same time -- but consider the irony ... he was truly appointed because he was a black conservative, but is opposed to affirmative action (ALTHOUGH he was not an affirmative action appointee because affirmative action requires that you be qualified, and he clearly was not). Hope this helps Fenton.

Unqualified? By what criteria have you come to this conclusion?:cool:

Is anyone going to claim that the intent of calling Thomas an Uncle Tom was anything other than: "Thomas is a shameless sell-out who identifies so much with the rich and powerful, mostly white, elites that he is willing to make decisions that harm his own oppressed people." If so, what do you think he actually meant?

There is no need to distract from apdst's complaining about the truth with a silly statement like that. Of course uncle tom is a racist insult. You cannot be a white uncle tom. If you have to be black to fit the insult, then the insult is racist in nature. However, that does not mean the insult is not spot on. Thomas would probably be more of an Uncle ruckus rather than an uncle tom.

so all Blacks need to be democrats other wise they are Uncle Toms?

You are a racist

Please try again. That post was too incoherent to be decoded.:cool:

Yeah, it reflects your freaky conservative logic. That's the point. Though I can decode the intent.

You are a racist

Hey look kids, a mischaracterization pretending to care about blacks.

Kind of sums up the OP.

Huh??? It denigrates the man because of his race! Do you think that calling a Black woman a nigger is okay because it didn't "denigrate the whole race"? It's up to his constituents rather than ordinary people to judge?

Liberals will almost always justify racism in order to defend their fellow leftists. The only ones they will not defend are those who dare leave their camp.
Fenton mentioned moral character, and his visits to the DC Madam make fail.

plantation? Sounds like they're there against their will Jack .. Is that true or just one more attempt by you to downplay racism in our society and history?

Personally, I don't like calling people names like that, but it hurts many of us to watch a man who benefitted tremendously from the struggles of the John Lewis's of the world to turn around and vote as he did ... it's not hard to understand folks' anger, just as it angered white racists in the south when a white individual fought for the civil rights of black people ... they used to call them race traitors ...

it is. the democrats get them dependent on government hand outs and promote blacks to have illegitimate children by paying them to do so. democrats do what ever they can to keep blacks dependent on the government so they will keep voting for the hand the feeds them
Democrats are scared to death of a Black Conservatives and do what ever they can to marginalize and silence them because they are scared other blacks will also see the light and they will lose their permanent voting block

The only Whites who are called Uncle Toms are men called Tom who happen to be Uncles. It is clearly a racist term, and has been at least since the days of MLK.

sorry Grant, it's not a racist term, although one could argue that it is a race-based term ... there's a difference ... it's like calling someone a race traitor, a name ("race traitor") bigoted whites called whites who supported civil rights for blacks ...

Unqualified? By what criteria have you come to this conclusion?:cool:

Do you really have to ask? Especially after observing him for how many years now? He got one of the lowest ratings by the ABA and was approved only after the Bush administration pressured the ABA to give him a mid-level rating and went after them as partisan. A lot of pressure, and I suspect that the ABA was also reluctant to turn away a black nominee.

List of ethnic slurs

The following is a list of ethnic slurs (ethnophaulisms) that are, or have been, used as insinuations or allegations about members of a given ethnicity or to refer to them in a derogatory (critical or disrespectful), pejorative (disapproving or contemptuous), or insulting manner in the English-speaking world. For the purposes of this list, an ethnic slur is a term designed insult others on the basis of race, ethnicity, or nationality. Each term is listed followed by its country or region of usage, a definition, and a reference to that term

U
Uncle Tom---a black person perceived as behaving in a subservient manner to white authority figures

List of ethnic slurs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are a racist

No. What gave you that idea? But when you're black and you vote to gut the voting rights act, don't be surprised if someone calls you an Uncle Tom.

sorry Grant, it's not a racist term, although one could argue that it is a race-based term ... there's a difference ... it's like calling someone a race traitor, a name ("race traitor") bigoted whites called whites who supported civil rights for blacks ...

Well I'm not Black but I would never call a Black man an 'Uncle Tom'. It is certainly race related, however you want to cut it, and unnecessary and disrespectful. . It is especially egregious when it is said by a politician. They should be bringing people together not trying to stir up their supporters though insults about race.

No. What gave you that idea? But when you're black and you vote to gut the voting rights act, don't be surprised if someone calls you an Uncle Tom.

It seems that they were saying tha skin color didn't matter, which would appear to be progress.

it is. the democrats get them dependent on government hand outs and promote blacks to have illegitimate children by paying them to do so. democrats do what ever they can to keep blacks dependent on the government so they will keep voting for the hand the feeds them
Democrats are scared to death of a Black Conservatives and do what ever they can to marginalize and silence them because they are scared other blacks will also see the light and they will lose their permanent voting block

do you have any idea how bigoted your post is? blacks are dumb, lazy, etc.? Really?
trust me, Dems are not afraid of conservative blacks ... there are so many and yet they don't get black votes for the GOP ... but Thomas will do a lot of harm before he leaves the Court ... I'll grant you that, but not to Dems ... to blacks and other oppressed groups ...

Well I'm not Black but I would never call a Black man an 'Uncle Tom'. It is certainly race related, however you want to cut it, and unnecessary and disrespectful. . It is especially egregious when it is said by a politician. They should be bringing people together not trying to stir up their supporters though insults about race.

we sorta agree ... I simply was making the point that it wasn't racist ... but it's not really an insult about race when a black man calls another black man an Uncle Tom ...

It seems that they were saying tha skin color didn't matter, which would appear to be progress.

the problem is that race still matters in this country, which is why we still need the voting rights act ...

do you have any idea how bigoted your post is? blacks are dumb, lazy, etc.? Really?
trust me, Dems are not afraid of conservative blacks ... there are so many and yet they don't get black votes for the GOP ... but Thomas will do a lot of harm before he leaves the Court ... I'll grant you that, but not to Dems ... to blacks and other oppressed groups ...

so Elbert Guillory is a racist

is he an Uncle Tom

or how about Rev. C.L. Bryant is he a racist also is he an Uncle Tom

RUNAWAY SLAVE is a compelling, insightful look at how government policies have systematically re-enslaved the black population in the United States. Through entitlements and other government programs, a perpetual state of welfare exists, creating what can only be described as a form of modern slavery for a large percentage of the African-American community. The documentary features Rev. C.L. Bryant, who proudly refers to himself as a “runaway slave.” This former NAACP chapter president left the organization after concluding its goals were more about political posturing than actual civil rights. Rev. Bryant says he escaped the bondage of progressivism and denounced the shackles of entitlements. He now has committed himself to helping others secure the blessings of liberty that are guaranteed by the Constitution. While Rev. Bryant’s compelling story helps launch the film, we soon discover he is not alone as he treks across the new Underground Railroad in America.

Last edited:
Racism depends on the motivation. It appears this may not have been a deliberate racist comment, but it was certainly quite stupid. Hard to believe he did not know what the inference of 'Uncle Tom' is.

the problem is that race still matters in this country, which is why we still need the voting rights act ...

Race matters but it seems to me that Blacks are being cast as marginal members of society if there are laws designed exclusively for them, and that would include affirmative action laws as well. Anyone who believes Black people need special laws or attention designed exclusively fr them has to believe in racial inferiority as well. You cant have one without the other.

I think Black people would feel far better about themselves and their culture if they knew that the playing field was level, just as it is for others and just as many successful Black people have demonstrated.

so Elbert Guillory is a racist

is he an Uncle Tom

or how about Rev. C.L. Bryant is he a racist also is he an Uncle Tom

RUNAWAY SLAVE is a compelling, insightful look at how government policies have systematically re-enslaved the black population in the United States. Through entitlements and other government programs, a perpetual state of welfare exists, creating what can only be described as a form of modern slavery for a large percentage of the African-American community. The documentary features Rev. C.L. Bryant, who proudly refers to himself as a “runaway slave.” This former NAACP chapter president left the organization after concluding its goals were more about political posturing than actual civil rights. Rev. Bryant says he escaped the bondage of progressivism and denounced the shackles of entitlements. He now has committed himself to helping others secure the blessings of liberty that are guaranteed by the Constitution. While Rev. Bryant’s compelling story helps launch the film, we soon discover he is not alone as he treks across the new Underground Railroad in America.

self-hating, not terribly bright, slave mentality themselves trying to please whites? there are many possibilities ... can't tell, not enough data ... What does it say about the folks they're talking about?

self-hating, not terribly bright, slave mentality themselves trying to please whites? there are many possibilities ... can't tell, not enough data ... What does it say about the folks they're talking about?

A very reasonable question. What are your thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom