• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democratic lawmaker hits justice as ‘Uncle Thomas’

ChezC3

Relentless Thinking Fury
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A Democratic lawmaker from Minnesota criticized Tuesday’s Supreme Court decision on the Voting Rights Act by calling Justice Clarence Thomas “Uncle Thomas,” then saying he didn’t know “Uncle Tom” was a racist epithet.

On his Twitter account Tuesday, state Rep. Ryan Winkler called the justices’ 5-4 ruling striking down a part of the law racist, and the work of “four accomplices to race discrimination and one Uncle Thomas.” Justice Thomas, who is black, was one of the five justices in the majority.

Democratic lawmaker hits justice as 'Uncle Thomas' - Washington Times

Where's the outrage? The call for his resignation? The media coverage?

Paula Deen gets canned for saying something viewed as racist, in private years ago, but this guy gets to call a sitting SCOTUS Justice a racial epithet because he doesn't like a decision and he still gets to live off the taxpayer dime?

Does Liberal hypocrisy know no bounds?

Paula Deen gets canned for saying something viewed as racist, in private years ago, but this guy gets to call a sitting SCOTUS Justice a racial epithet because he doesn't like a decision and he still gets to live off the taxpayer dime?

He didn't know that was a racist epithet? I thought liberals were the most culturally sensitive people out there?

He didn't know that was a racist epithet? I thought liberals were the most culturally sensitive people out there?

Yeah, this Harvard educated History major "didn't know"....:thumbs:

Yeah, this Harvard educated History major "didn't know"....:thumbs:

So either he is a racist and a fraud, or just a fraud. Either way, he's gotta go.

Why would anyone ask him to resign over a stupid tweet? I know I would do it even if it was a conservative that did it. BTW, Paula Deen worked for The Food Network , a private concern.

Why would anyone ask him to resign over a stupid tweet? I know I would do it even if it was a conservative that did it. BTW, Paula Deen worked for The Food Network , a private concern.

Point blank, if a Republican said this about a black liberal, he would've been buried alive. Its a double standard, through and through.

RepubLies do it every day and get away with it. Both sides are selective in their outrage. The first amendment only works the way you want it to, just like the 2nd and the civil war 10th.
Point blank, if a Republican said this about a black liberal, he would've been buried alive. Its a double standard, through and through.

RepubLies do it every day and get away with it. Both sides are selective in their outrage. The first amendment only works the way you want it to, just like the 2nd and the civil war 10th.

Oh really? Why don't you give me examples. Please show me the last time a white Republican called a highly respected member of the government an "uncle Tom."

Truly classless comment. Playing dumb after the fact made it that much worse.

There is no double standard,its up at Drudge now, and soon the Republican echo chamber will run him through the mill.:roll:

Thomas may be the least respected appointed member of government, one of the GOP's grandest and greatest mistakes. He's always fought against all of the advantages he used to be what he is. Before they were white RepubLies, what were they?
Oh really? Why don't you give me examples. Please show me the last time a white Republican called a highly respected member of the government an "uncle Tom."

Classless comment. The fact that he's an elected official in tandem with the denial afterwards only adds to the embarrassment.

Thomas may be the least respected appointed member of government, one of the GOP's grandest and greatest mistakes. He's always fought against all of the advantages he used to be what he is. Before they were white RepubLies, what were they?

In otherwords, you hate blacks who aren't liberal. Good to know.

There is no double standard,its up at Drudge now, and soon the Republican echo chamber will run him through the mill.:roll:

As they should. It is as classless of a comment as I have heard in recent memory.

Community Organizers maybe?

Yes, a private concern, that was the point. We are suppose to hold public officials to a higher standard. Especially since they are suppose to be representatives of all the people, I'm sure he has at least 1 black person in his district.

Don Imus "nappy headed hoes" (in parody)
Trent Lott "When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over the years, either. (off the cuff)
Rush Limbaugh "The media has been very desirous that a Black quarterback do well. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn t deserve. The defense carried this team." (stating a truth)

An Uncle Tom denotes a person who is slave-ish, who is subservient to the white man.

Clarence Thomas was called an Uncle Tom

This is far worse than any of the quotes these public, private, and semi private individuals had said.

All 3 let go for expressing themselves.

What this congressman did was attack.

BIG difference.

Last edited:
As they should. It is as classless of a comment as I have heard in recent memory.

Go to it, go trash the man, frankly couldn't care less. It's all political gamesmanship and I know I would not participate in it if the shoe were on the other foot.

Uncle Tom is a criticism of the behavior or views of certain black people, basically calling them out for betraying their race. Nigger is an insult suggesting that all blacks are inferior. They are not the same.

Uncle Tom is a criticism of the behavior or views of certain black people, basically calling them out for betraying their race. Nigger is an insult suggesting that all blacks are inferior. They are not the same.

That doesn't make it any less racist. Expecting blacks to "fall in line" is still extremely discriminatory and bigoted.

House N****** and Uncle Tom are inter-changeable. So, actually they are...

That doesn't make it any less racist. Expecting blacks to "fall in line" is still extremely discriminatory and bigoted.

It is equivalent to "self hating Jew." One could argue that it is legitimate to criticize someone who consistently acts against the interests of their own oppressed group. Considering his record, Uncle Tom is definitely more accurate and appropriate to describe Thomas than to call every Jewish person who dares to criticize Israel in "self hating." (which is not all that uncommon)

Not if a black person says it, then its just a political insult.

Is anyone besides white conservatives offended by the remark?

Back
Top Bottom