• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democratic lawmaker hits justice as ‘Uncle Thomas’

Democratic lawmaker hits justice as 'Uncle Thomas' - Washington Times

Where's the outrage? The call for his resignation? The media coverage?

Paula Deen gets canned for saying something viewed as racist, in private years ago, but this guy gets to call a sitting SCOTUS Justice a racial epithet because he doesn't like a decision and he still gets to live off the taxpayer dime?

Does Liberal hypocrisy know no bounds?

If one can demonstrate the same history of long usage as in the Deen situation, clearly The Food Network should fire this guy from his cooking show.

Paula Deen gets canned for saying something viewed as racist, in private years ago, but this guy gets to call a sitting SCOTUS Justice a racial epithet because he doesn't like a decision and he still gets to live off the taxpayer dime?

Weellll, it IS Minnesota after all. They elected two wrestlers governor, then voted a comedian into the Senate. It's very cold up there, cut them a break! LOL :)

Weellll, it IS Minnesota after all. They elected two wrestlers governor, then voted a comedian into the Senate. It's very cold up there, cut them a break! LOL :)

True....True...

Why would anyone ask him to resign over a stupid tweet? I know I would do it even if it was a conservative that did it. BTW, Paula Deen worked for The Food Network , a private concern.

So the public should be more concerned about what a dizzy cook on food network says, then someone who votes the laws of the land.

When I read posts like this, I have come to realize how intellectually dishonest one has to be if they are to be a party line partisan.

Is there a wonder why such a relatively few percent vote in this nation, just ponder the above talking point to figure it out.

This site has proven that politics can't be debated, sort of like religion it is a belief system. Yet I still have fun reading absurdities, thus my continuing to post on the site.

So the public should be more concerned about what a dizzy cook on food network says, then someone who votes the laws of the land.

When I read posts like this, I have come to realize how intellectually dishonest one has to be if they are to be a party line partisan.

Is there a wonder why such a relatively few percent vote in this nation, just ponder the above talking point to figure it out.

This site has proven that politics can't be debated, sort of like religion it is a belief system. Yet I still have fun reading absurdities, thus my continuing to post on the site.
I meant to write "I know, I wouldn't..." but the "n't" was missing when I posted it. Sorry.

I meant to write "I know, I wouldn't..." but the "n't" was missing when I posted it. Sorry.

No need to be sorry. Thanks for the explanation.

Yeah, this Harvard educated History major "didn't know"....:thumbs:

It makes you wonder what his justification for using "Uncle Thomas" was if he was unaware of any racial connotations.

If that politician wrote "Thomas is a shameless sell-out who identifies so much with the rich and powerful, mostly white, elites that he is willing to make decisions that harm his own oppressed people" would there be as much outrage?

It seems to me that calling him an Uncle Tom is essentially short hand for the exact same sentiment. Although I agree that it is not appropriate for a white guy to used the term, there was no racist intent.

I think virtually everyone knows that, but conservatives are playing a "gotcha" game to create the impression that Democrats/liberals are as racist as many conservatives. In other words they are trying to use the race card to justify their own racist policies. (I can believe that many conservatives are not really conscious of the real intent of this ploy and are being sincere.) This controversy is most akin to the uproar over a politician's proper use of the word "niggardly."

Last edited:
Another comment on the Thomas vote.

MSNBC

If that politician wrote "Thomas is a shameless sell-out who identifies so much with the rich and powerful, mostly white, elites that he is willing to make decisions that harm his own oppressed people" would there be as much outrage?

It seems to me that calling him an Uncle Tom is essentially short hand for the exact same sentiment. Although I agree that it is not appropriate for a white guy to used the term, there was no racist intent.

I think virtually everyone knows that, but conservatives are playing a "gotcha" game to create the impression that Democrats/liberals are as racist as many conservatives. In other words they are trying to use the race card to justify their own racist policies. (I can believe that many conservatives are not really conscious of the real intent of this ploy and are being sincere.) This controversy is most akin to the uproar over a politician's proper use of the word "niggardly."

Great spin. False, but, great. You do recall the Condi Rice 'cartoons' for instance. Tim Scott is a 'token'. The Revernd Jackson calls Jews Hymies. Al Sharpton called them 'diamond merchants'. Of course some libs are racist. If a Black defines himself/herself as conservative the comments abound from the left. Perhaps you've missed them while burying your head in the sand. I'm a conservative. Exactly what 'racist policies' do I cling to. Be specific as I want to share them with my Native American wife and my Mexican American grandchildren.

I don't see how criticizing someone for a lack of solidarity is discrimination.

So in other words, its not okay to criticizing someone for being brainwashed into thinking something just because of their race, but it is okay to criticizing someone for not being brainwashed into thinking something just because of their race?

Honestly, I don't care. If the people he represents are unhappy, they can vote him out. If not, I still don't care.

While it is a stupid comment and should face mockery for his stupidity in covering it up, in all fairness there are actual big stories going on right now. Slow news week, sure this should end up somewhere on the 24 hour news cycles, this week when the SC is passing down rulings, probably not.

It makes you wonder what his justification for using "Uncle Thomas" was if he was unaware of any racial connotations.

:lamo

I know, right?

Another comment on the Thomas vote.

MSNBC

Does anyone remember the big hullabaloo when Bocephus made a similar comparison, but one that was more fitting? We all seen what they did to old Hank...

I understand completely how this works, as I had said, you did change your post.
No, you said I changed my post AFTER you posted. You were 100% wrong about that, especially since I wasn't even home. Seriously, try honesty. It works well.

Within the parameter of time that the last edited prompt didn't show up. You've admitted this inadvertently as well.
I never denied I edited my post, I was just accurately pointing out how wrong you were when you said I edited after you posted. Seriously, pay attention.

Now, yes it is a given. You ask 999 out of a 1000 and they'll fall my way.
:lol:

No they wouldn't.

Yes I can give a for instance I already did for a previous poster, Trent Lott. And what he said wasn't even close to what this guy said.
Trent Lott wasn't a state senator, try again.

Please, I can always tell when someone doesn't like being called to task for something they did, they like to throw out non sequiturs
And what did I do? Accurately point out how proud you were of using a word longer than six letters?

lest you'd have asked for clarification.
I didn't need clarification, your absurdity was quite clear.

Good, glad your laughing just remember we are all laughing too and not with you but at you...
The constantly proven wrong child whose proud of using a word longer than 6 letters claims to be laughing at me as I laugh at him. Somehow, that just doesn't bother me all that much.
I see your still throwing those gotcha's out there...:lamo

ABC NBC CBS CNN FOX MSNBC
Ahh, so YOU get to decide what media counts. And apparently Fox is now liberal media, who knew? And clearly Huffington Post doesn't count as liberal media and Yahoo and USA Today don't have nearly the presence in media as MSNBC.

Seriously, just stop. Even I am becoming embarrassed for you.
An apology would be unacceptable to liberals, so it is unacceptable to us. He should resign and lose all his benefits.
Yes, because that's what always happens when a politician on the right wing says something inappropriate. :roll:

The persecution complex of the right never ceases to amaze me.
If one can demonstrate the same history of long usage as in the Deen situation, clearly The Food Network should fire this guy from his cooking show.
:lol:

The sad part is I bet he has no idea what you just said. I do, though, and I approve.

If you do not understand the difference between a private company and publicly elected job, then I really don't know what to tell you.

Funnily enough, I thought the same reading your post.

A private business can fire an individual if they desire, especially if that individual can bring a poor reputation and they can fire that person regardless of what the general public thinks of the person or what they said. A publicly elected official, for the most part, cannot just be immediately fired, they have to be voted out.

If you do not understand this difference, that's completely on you.
I don't believe for a second it was innocuous, but his name really is Thomas. And it's not uncommon (at least where I live) to put "uncle" before someone's name when ridiculing them like this.

Again, I don't believe his explanation, but it could be justified.

Be honest -- if the guy was a Republican you'd be defending him against "the terrible PC police."

Let's be honest, if you're going to set a standard is is absolutely intolerant of racist language in the public square, the standard has to be applied to everyone - even those you agree with or who's side your on.

Be honest -- if the guy was a Republican you'd be defending him against "the terrible PC police."

Not at all. The point isn't even that he called him an Uncle Tom. The point was as of my OP no major news coverage had picked up on it. Being that the current climate is so hyper-sensitive, when everything is about race, when you have dimwits on MSNBC equating the IRS scandal to the GOP calling Obama a N-word -- yeah I am gonna make a fuss.

Exactly. The rightwing meme is to characterize criticism of racism as racist for mentioning race. It's pitiful. But it's all they got.

Back
Top Bottom