• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democratic Lame Duck Agenda

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
...there have been signs in recent weeks that party leaders are planning an ambitious, lame-duck session to muscle through bills in December they don't want to defend before November. Retiring or defeated members of Congress would then be able to vote for sweeping legislation without any fear of voter retaliation.

John Fund: The Obama-Pelosi Lame Duck Strategy - WSJ.com

Be afraid....be very afraid. December could be quite the ride.

Card Check would effectively eliminate private voting [for unionization].
Under the existing law today, workers have a chance to vote for or against unionization in a private-ballot election that is federally supervised. Under Card Check, if more than 50% of workers at a facility sign a card, the government would have to certify the union, and a private ballot election would be prohibited—even if workers want one.

By forcing workers to sign a card in public—instead of vote in private—Card Check opens the door to intimidation and coercion. Over 70% of voters agree that a private election is better than card check.
The Employee Free Choice Act - the "Card Check" Bill | U.S. Chamber of Commerce

As if the opportunity Card Check provides for intimidation isn't enough, another part of this legislation imposes 120 days for union/management to agree to a first-time contract -- or face government arbitration.

Unions say, "SuhWEET!!"

That's just one item on the front burner. Others? A Federally-mandated voter registration process to over-ride state laws; porkulous spending; cap-and-trade.

Discuss?

Considering that only 16% of Americans belong to a union, this isn't as big of a deal as GOPers make it out to be.

This sort of thing is common during lame duck sessions. Not sure why this is all that big a deal.

Considering that only 16% of Americans belong to a union, this isn't as big of a deal as GOPers make it out to be.

This sort of thing is common during lame duck sessions. Not sure why this is all that big a deal.

Sam, yeah, why worry? It's only going to effect 16% of us. Soon to be a much greater % if this passes.

Mega, I know it's common; but it's been 30 years since we've had the kind of legislation pushed down our throats that we've had during the last 3...and more to come.

Democrat's policy making usually moves like a tortoise, I woudn't be too worried.

Sam, yeah, why worry? It's only going to effect 16% of us. Soon to be a much greater % if this passes.

Mega, I know it's common; but it's been 30 years since we've had the kind of legislation pushed down our throats that we've had during the last 3...and more to come.

Perhaps its a difference in perspective, but I have seen no reason to be outraged by the legislation over the last three years, except for the weakness of it.

Perhaps its a difference in perspective, but I have seen no reason to be outraged by the legislation over the last three years, except for the weakness of it.

You would be in the minority with everyone except our Congress. ;-)

Outrage is too strong a word.

You would be in the minority with everyone except our Congress. ;-)

Outrage is too strong a word.

Now if ACTA gets passed, I am going to be uber pissed.

Considering just how hostile this country is to unions and organized labor, I seriously doubt a larger number will be affected. There are far too many officials, especially judges, who are beholden to business interests to make this legislation a serious threat to most businesses.

John Fund: The Obama-Pelosi Lame Duck Strategy - WSJ.com

Be afraid....be very afraid. December could be quite the ride.

The Employee Free Choice Act - the "Card Check" Bill | U.S. Chamber of Commerce

As if the opportunity Card Check provides for intimidation isn't enough, another part of this legislation imposes 120 days for union/management to agree to a first-time contract -- or face government arbitration.

Unions say, "SuhWEET!!"

That's just one item on the front burner. Others? A Federally-mandated voter registration process to over-ride state laws; porkulous spending; cap-and-trade.

Discuss?

The proposed law at it's core would seem to fly in the face of how elections are supposed to work in this country. Hopefully it is only getting press time to soothe the Unions and their lobbyists.

If something like that actually passed, my suspicion is that there would be significant outrage and contesting in the courts.

Back
Top Bottom