• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Democratic Foot Shooting - 2008

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
We have one of the worst administrations in US history, and the Democrats should be able to make all kinds of political capital from this fiasco. However, true to form, the Dems are gearing up to hand the presidency to a Republican in 2008. Why? Because John Kerry has said he is going to be running, and now, guess who comes out of the closet?

Al Gore.:rofl

No wonder people Dont take the Democrats seriously. They never run serious candidates. Republicrats? Democlicans? Hold your noses, folks. The 2008 election is not that far off.

Article is here.

Last edited:
danarhea said:
The 2008 election is not that far off.

Can't WAIT for the new Swiftboat Vets episodes either!! That should be better than the Soprano's!

Yea I can only imagine the advertising, from either side of the political spectrum. Still going to be funny though! :rofl I can only imagine the posts that will be in rebuttle to the adds! :mrgreen:

danarhea said:
We have one of the worst administrations in US history...
opinions are fun, aren't they. :2wave:

danarhea said:
We have one of the worst administrations in US history, and the Democrats should be able to make all kinds of political capital from this fiasco. However, true to form, the Dems are gearing up to hand the presidency to a Republican in 2008. Why? Because John Kerry has said he is going to be running, and now, guess who comes out of the closet?

Al Gore.:rofl

No wonder people Dont take the Democrats seriously. They never run serious candidates. Republicrats? Democlicans? Hold your noses, folks. The 2008 election is not that far off.

Article is here.

Wait a minute - you're quoting that prostitute toe sucker Dick Morris? Come on.

Dems generally don't nominate people more than once for the presidency. It's more like "You had your chance, now step aside."

I'm glad Gore is finding his voice, I like him a lot better now than I did in 2000, but he has stated categorically that he's not running. Gore is more effective as an outsider anyway.

Kerry may run, but he won't get the nod.

If the Dems have a real death wish, they'll nominate Hillary...

The names I keep hearing from a lot of democrats are Wes Clark and Joe Biden.

Last edited:
Speaking of Dems Shooting themselves in the Foot

That loud <BANG> you heard yesterday was Feingold shooting himself in the foot, thereby ending any chance he had at winning the Dem Nomination for President in 2008!

Feingold decided it was a good idea to introduce 'Censure' legislation....His fellow Democrats could not back-pedal away from him fast enough and 'averted a debate and vote' that they knew the American people would drill them on! Feingold wants to put the cart before the horse, announce bush is guilty of something before any legal decision is made agreeing with him! Bush's wiretap program is (currently) legal, and Feingold wants to Censure a President for a legal program whose purpose is to protect America fom terrorists, more interested in going after the Pres. than the individual who compromised the secret program by leaking it. Yeah, trying to punish a Presidet for something legal is always a bright move!

The Democrats knew this move would be looked upon, especially in a time of war as sour-grapes pauback for Clinton, especially after feingold even brought up/referenced Clinton by saying what Bush is doing (a currently legal program) is worse than Clinton's committing a Felony of perjury before a Federal Grand Jury! Man, if that don't sound like sour-grapes payback for the Clinton Impeachment, I don't know what does...and it obviously sounded that way to the Dems as well. Feingold got VERY little support, and his legislation died right there on the Senate floor, along with his hopes of winning his party's nomination!

<<<<<<<STORY>>>>>>>>>

Democrats distanced themselves Monday from Wisconsin Sen. Russell Feingold's effort to censure President Bush over domestic spying, preventing a floor vote that could alienate swing voters.

A day of tough, election-year talk between Feingold and Vice President Dick Cheney ended with Senate leaders sending the matter to the Judiciary Committee.

"I look forward to a full hearing, debate and vote in committee on this important matter," Feingold said in a statement late Monday. "If the Committee fails to consider the resolution expeditiously, I will ask that there be a vote in the full Senate."

Republicans dared Democrats to vote for the proposal.

"Some Democrats in Congress have decided the president is the enemy," Vice President Dick Cheney told a Republican audience in Feingold's home state.
Feingold, a potential presidential candidate, said on the Senate floor, "The president has violated the law and Congress must respond."

"A formal censure by Congress is an appropriate and responsible first step to assure the public that when the president thinks he can violate the law without consequences, Congress has the will to hold him accountable," Feingold said.

Even as he spoke, Democratic leaders held off the immediate vote that Majority Leader Bill Frist requested. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., said he didn't know if there ever would be one. Durbin said that Feingold had sought to use the censure resolution "as a catalyst" for thorough hearings and investigations.

The referral averted a debate and a vote that Democrats privately worried would alienate voters who could decide close elections.

In 1999, a censure resolution failed against President Clinton after he was acquitted by the Senate on House impeachment charges that he committed perjury and obstructed justice in the Monica Lewinsky affair.

"This is clearly more serious than what President Clinton was accused of doing," Feingold reporters after his floor speech.
- SOUR GRAPES, Partisal Political Attack, Clinton Impeachment Vendetta! The Democrats knew this would echo through voters' minds!

:sinking:

Re: Speaking of Dems Shooting themselves in the Foot

easyt65 said:
That loud <BANG> you heard yesterday was Feingold shooting himself in the foot, thereby ending any chance he had at winning the Dem Nomination for President in 2008!

Feingold decided it was a good idea to introduce 'Censure' legislation....His fellow Democrats could not back-pedal away from him fast enough and 'averted a debate and vote' that they knew the American people would drill them on! Feingold wants to put the cart before the horse, announce bush is guilty of something before any legal decision is made agreeing with him! Bush's wiretap program is (currently) legal, and Feingold wants to Censure a President for a legal program whose purpose is to protect America fom terrorists, more interested in going after the Pres. than the individual who compromised the secret program by leaking it. Yeah, trying to punish a Presidet for something legal is always a bright move!

The Democrats knew this move would be looked upon, especially in a time of war as sour-grapes pauback for Clinton, especially after feingold even brought up/referenced Clinton by saying what Bush is doing (a currently legal program) is worse than Clinton's committing a Felony of perjury before a Federal Grand Jury! Man, if that don't sound like sour-grapes payback for the Clinton Impeachment, I don't know what does...and it obviously sounded that way to the Dems as well. Feingold got VERY little support, and his legislation died right there on the Senate floor, along with his hopes of winning his party's nomination!

<<<<<<<STORY>>>>>>>>>

Democrats distanced themselves Monday from Wisconsin Sen. Russell Feingold's effort to censure President Bush over domestic spying, preventing a floor vote that could alienate swing voters.

A day of tough, election-year talk between Feingold and Vice President Dick Cheney ended with Senate leaders sending the matter to the Judiciary Committee.

"I look forward to a full hearing, debate and vote in committee on this important matter," Feingold said in a statement late Monday. "If the Committee fails to consider the resolution expeditiously, I will ask that there be a vote in the full Senate."

Republicans dared Democrats to vote for the proposal.

"Some Democrats in Congress have decided the president is the enemy," Vice President Dick Cheney told a Republican audience in Feingold's home state.
Feingold, a potential presidential candidate, said on the Senate floor, "The president has violated the law and Congress must respond."

"A formal censure by Congress is an appropriate and responsible first step to assure the public that when the president thinks he can violate the law without consequences, Congress has the will to hold him accountable," Feingold said.

Even as he spoke, Democratic leaders held off the immediate vote that Majority Leader Bill Frist requested. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., said he didn't know if there ever would be one. Durbin said that Feingold had sought to use the censure resolution "as a catalyst" for thorough hearings and investigations.

The referral averted a debate and a vote that Democrats privately worried would alienate voters who could decide close elections.

In 1999, a censure resolution failed against President Clinton after he was acquitted by the Senate on House impeachment charges that he committed perjury and obstructed justice in the Monica Lewinsky affair.

"This is clearly more serious than what President Clinton was accused of doing," Feingold reporters after his floor speech.
- SOUR GRAPES, Partisal Political Attack, Clinton Impeachment Vendetta! The Democrats knew this would echo through voters' minds!

:sinking:

I love Feingold - he's one of the only Senators with guts. I'm sure his motion wasn't put out there w/out Reid knowing all about it.

I'm amazed that so many of the reich wing have no problem with warantless wiretaps of American citizens. Worse yet, they don't even want to look into it. I loved it when the GOP used to have a strong streak of Libertarianism in it.

It was Barry Goldwater who told Nixon it was over.

Re: Speaking of Dems Shooting themselves in the Foot

hipsterdufus said:
....... reich wing ........

This is why nobody's listening, hip. It renders you void of credibility.

Nice to slip in the low budget Nazi reference. As for the warrantless wiretaps, if they are tapping my phone, I really don't care. They can find out what I am buying at the store.
Yippee. Oh, wait, they are not interested in non-international calls. Guess I won't get bugged.

Back
Top Bottom