• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democratic congressman Ted Lieu: I'd love to be able to regulate speech

homersapien

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
On the Communist News Network last night, Lieu said that he would like to regulate the “content of speech,” but that darn First Amendment of the Constitution prevents him from doing that.

Stalin approves the DNC’s ideas of freedom suppression

Stalin-Clap.gif

Last edited:
Indeed the Communist did. How similar they are.

I'm tired of sound bite journalism.

Yeah, Lieu said he'd love to regulate speech but he also said it's better if government does not regulate speech. His reply to a rather bizarre question was inartful but it didn't indicate the slightest inclination of Lieu to begin a process of getting rid of the 1st Amendment.

Yeah, Lieu said he'd love to regulate speech but he also said it's better if government does not regulate speech. His reply to a rather bizarre question was inartful but it didn't indicate the slightest inclination of Lieu to begin a process of getting rid of the 1st Amendment.

These politicians know that they have a limited amount of time to get their point across, so they have to speak in sound bites. And it doesn't take a 20 minute speech for someone to express their true opinions.

Context is a good thing

Yes, he did say that. And right after he also said its not something that government can do. (1st Amendment) Do you really think that if it wasn't for the 1st Amendment he wouldn't attempt to regulate it? There HAS been an outcry to censor speech after all. Particularly "hate speech".

An "If by Whiskey" answer...

My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, this is how I feel about whiskey:

If when you say whiskey you mean the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

But, if when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman's step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.

An "If by Whiskey" answer...

My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, this is how I feel about whiskey:

If when you say whiskey you mean the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

But, if when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman's step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.

Lieu makes himself a poster child for the tyranny that Hamilton and Madison feared.

Back
Top Bottom