• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrat Sheldon Whitehouse Defends All-White Beach Club Membership, 'It's a Long Tradition'

tanj

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

So was Democrat defended slavery. they covered this story so far like it was no worse than a double parking incident.

So was Democrat defended slavery. they covered this story so far like it was no worse than a double parking incident.
How should they have covered it?

From what I understand the club didn't exclude minorities per se. Something about you have to get sponsored by a member to join.

"I think would be nice if membership changed a little bit, but it's not my position to do that," Whitehouse said in 2017. He told the reporter he would "take that up privately" when asked if he plans to pressure the club to expand membership. At the time, he declined to further comment on his involvement with the exclusive beach club.

This is another example of a Democrat hater posting a headline he3 likes without reading the article. Even far-right media sources can prove a rattlesnake worshiper is illiterate.

Southerners of all political stripes defended slavery and Jim Crow laws. Because Southern Democrats of the past do not represent liberals or Democrats of the current time period.

Southerners of all political stripes defended slavery and Jim Crow laws. Because Southern Democrats of the past do not represent liberals or Democrats of the current time period.

I hope you're not saying that Democrats or liberals can't be racists... or did I misread?

I was about to say "well, that bastard can get ****ed", and then I remembered not to trust Trumpist threads.
Newsweek reached out to representatives for comment on behalf of Sen. Whitehouse. The senator's communication director Richard Davidson contradicted Whitehouse when he told Newsweek there is no policy that exists at the beach club that would prevent minority members from joining.
"The club has no such restrictive policy. The club has had and has members of color," Davidson said. "The Senator has dedicated his entire career to promoting equity and protecting civil rights, as his record shows."

When you say "all white", people who actually do want to stamp out racism perk up. When they find out that "all white" doesn't mean "whites only" but rather "at this moment in time, there are no minority members" it's a bit different.

Now, that doesn't mean he's in the clear. The "why" matters. But you gotta make sure there's a "there" there.

Is it "all white" at the moment because the members are generally racist and don't sponsor minorities? What about the other minority members in the past? Just how big is it, anyway? Etc.

Vague memories of the Franken bullshit. The moment it breaks, a whole bunch of people on the right are "omg, look at this! Liberals say they oppose sexual harassment! HE MUST RESIGN"....

....and he did. He did even though that harassment was (1) one staged photograph of him pretending to touch a woman's breasts, (2) one allegation of a kiss that went to far in a rehearsal for an SNL skit involving a kiss.

(And I think I remember something about the woman being in on #1, but that could be a false memory). Now, #2 is no good. But I'd want him to take a few steps back and consider whether he should resign over something that GOPers don't resign over (hello, 26-sex-assault-Trump) instead of using it as a moment to demonstrate showing true remorse, seeking forgiveness, and generally teaching?

I hope you're not saying that Democrats or liberals can't be racists... or did I misread?

I hope you're not doing the stupidly dishonest thing that Trumpists like to do....that thing where they ignore stuff like the massive demographic shift in which Dixiecrats - all but that shitstain Byrd - hopped over to the GOP, and the GOP's "Southern Strategy".

1940 Democrats ≠ 2021 Democrats
1856 Republicans ≠ 1940 Republicans ≠ 2021 Republicans.

And neither are Whigs. Things change.

From what I understand the club didn't exclude minorities per se. Something about you have to get sponsored by a member to join.

Thats how most country clubs work.

Our ex-president lives in one.

But its okay. Its not hypocrisy. He is a racist.

Vague memories of the Franken bullshit. The moment it breaks, a whole bunch of people on the right are "omg, look at this! Liberals say they oppose sexual harassment! HE MUST RESIGN"....

....and he did. He did even though that harassment was (1) one staged photograph of him pretending to touch a woman's breasts, (2) one allegation of a kiss that went to far in a rehearsal for an SNL skit involving a kiss.

(And I think I remember something about the woman being in on #1, but that could be a false memory). Now, #2 is no good. But I'd want him to take a few steps back and consider whether he should resign over something that GOPers don't resign over (hello, 26-sex-assault-Trump) instead of using it as a moment to demonstrate showing true remorse, seeking forgiveness, and generally teaching?

He did that to a member of the military while visiting the military. He was a guest, one who hardly had any right to be there, and he did that. The world is not his joke. He needed to show respect. To his credit, he understood that.

Last edited:
Yes, you misread. I'm only referring to the failed attempt to try to link Democrats now with slave supporting Southern Democrats of the past.

He did that to a member of the military while visiting the military. He was a guest, one who hardly had any right to be there, and he did that. The world is not his joke. He needed to show respect. To his credit, he understood that.

Not sure how Franklin could have groped the soldier, what with her leaning across the table for the photograph.

Last edited:
Even with the couple of dozen accusations against Trump, he never did that.

Comparing to Trump is basically a Godwin. Franken gets credit for seeing why he should retire.

Yes, you misread. I'm only referring to the failed attempt to try to link Democrats now with slave supporting Southern Democrats of the past.

T/Y for the clarification. Yeah, agree that attempts like this are lame...

I know a lot of hockey teams that are all white. I think this article says more about white privilege than it does about anything else.

Not sure how Franklin could have groped the soldier, what with her leaning across the table for the photograph.
Not that one.

The one I'm thinking of, she was asleep. He posed with his hands a few inches back. You could see the shadows.

But....it seems there were more allegations than I recall. I think I turned off at "well, he resigned, so that's that. And the Trumpists are praising serial rapist Trump, so that's that."

This is a nothing burger.

Some very rich & influential Caucasian people enjoy hobnobbing with other rich & influential Caucasian people at a private club.

More power to them.

This is a nothing burger.

Some very rich & influential Caucasian people enjoy hobnobbing with other rich & influential Caucasian people at a private club.

More power to them.
Meh. Being an elected official while belonging to one is not a good look.

I may or may not have reminded myself of some other accusations I'd forgotten...

I may or may not have reminded myself of some other accusations I'd forgotten...

I'd like to throw a fit even without those. Being in a military unit is something a person earns. Everyone there had earned the right to be there, but not him and his crew. They were there because he won a popularity contest with a lot of money. Everyone else paid in blood and sweat and, occasionally, tears of laughter. He was an unworthy guest.

Using that as a starting position, a perspective not everyone might presume, his actions were unforgivable. He'd owed them. They didn't owe him. They weren't pawns to be used for him to make a funny.

He lost perspective at a very important moment for him.

Okay. And? The club doesn't have any rules about minorities joining. It looks like none have tried to join. That's not Whitehouse's fault.

Okay. And? The club doesn't have any rules about minorities joining. It looks like none have tried to join. That's not Whitehouse's fault.
You have to be sponsored by an existing member to join. So for all intents and purposes, they have excluded minorities. I find it appalling that anyone, particularly a senator, would be a member of an all white club. I would not no matter what kind of connections I got out of it.

You have to be sponsored by an existing member to join. So for all intents and purposes, they have excluded minorities. I find it appalling that anyone, particularly a senator, would be a member of an all white club. I would not no matter what kind of connections I got out of it.

My husband and I belong to a country club. We have one black member. No others have tried to join. I know this because my husband is on the selection committee. Our club also requires sponsorship to join. That is not any different than country clubs all over the country.

So I belong to a club with one out of thousands of members being black. It isn't our fault that no black people want to join.

Like in RI, I live in a very white area.

Back
Top Bottom