• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrat Politician files Legislation to Tax Marijuana at the Federal Level.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Well that didn't take long, huh? Get some states to legalize some Weed, tax it, and now the Demos want the Fed to get a cut. What say ye?

Two Democratic U.S. congressmen from Colorado and Oregon introduced separate bills on Friday that would regulate marijuana like alcohol in states where it is legal and tax sales of the drug at the federal level.

The bill submitted by Representative Jared Polis of Colorado would replace the current federal prohibition model with a regulatory model similar to the one used for alcohol. It would remove the drug from the Controlled Substances Act.

The bill introduced by Representative Earl Blumenauer of Oregon would tax marijuana at the federal level.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com Colorado, Oregon Congressmen Pitch Federal Pot Framework

Democrats have never seen a tax they didn't support.... and it is inevitable they would go after weed.

Washington has an effective tax rate on marijuana of 44%.. in Colorado, it's about 29%... and now they want more taxes hoisted on it.

I'm almost glad it's still illegal in Texas... legal weed it too damned expensive ( nearly double the price of illegal weed)

Well that didn't take long, huh? Get some states to legalize some Weed, tax it, and now the Demos want the Fed to get a cut. What say ye?

Two Democratic U.S. congressmen from Colorado and Oregon introduced separate bills on Friday that would regulate marijuana like alcohol in states where it is legal and tax sales of the drug at the federal level.

The bill submitted by Representative Jared Polis of Colorado would replace the current federal prohibition model with a regulatory model similar to the one used for alcohol. It would remove the drug from the Controlled Substances Act.

The bill introduced by Representative Earl Blumenauer of Oregon would tax marijuana at the federal level.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com Colorado, Oregon Congressmen Pitch Federal Pot Framework

Well, that has been part of the argument used for legalization. The economics being that without the cost of incarceration etc., the government saves money and will get even more by taxing it, like alcohol and tobacco. Other than questioning whether the feds should have a share, there isn't much argument.

The problem however, is Washington would be taxing a product it says is illegal on the one hand, dangerous to health on the other and should remain so. With that, their argument goes down the same toilet all the rest of their thinking goes.

Secondly, how much? Untaxed here [they can't, it's an illegal product!] it sells in the dispensaries starting at $10 a gram. The street price ends at $10 a gram. Quantity and knowing the right grower you can score for $5 at one ounce, dropping to as little as $3 a gram in half pounds. If you push the taxation envelope too much, then the grey and black markets will trump the intent.

I don't see the harm in it. If a state wants to legalize marijuana, it's only natural the fed. govt. should get a cut too. As for the legalization of marijuana, it's really only a matter of time. Whether or not that is a good thing is up for debate, but my general idea is if you want to smoke it, I don't care one way or the other so long as you do so responsibly and are subjected to similar laws that regulate alcohol consumption.

Democrats have never seen a tax they didn't support.... and it is inevitable they would go after weed.

Washington has an effective tax rate on marijuana of 44%.. in Colorado, it's about 29%... and now they want more taxes hoisted on it.

I'm almost glad it's still illegal in Texas... legal weed it too damned expensive ( nearly double the price of illegal weed)

bongs.png
..... :2razz:

I don't see the harm in it. If a state wants to legalize marijuana, it's only natural the fed. govt. should get a cut too. As for the legalization of marijuana, it's really only a matter of time. Whether or not that is a good thing is up for debate, but my general idea is if you want to smoke it, I don't care one way or the other so long as you do so responsibly and are subjected to similar laws that regulate alcohol consumption.

the federal govt still considers marijuana to be a controlled substance and illegal to possess... wouldn't taking tax money directly derived from the sale of a controlled substance be contrary to federal law?
monetarily benefiting from a federal crime lands people in Prison and has their property stripped from them.. but we're saying it's ok for the federal govt to do so?

I don't want them to tax it on a federal level, but if they really want that money, they should decriminalize it first....

the federal govt still considers marijuana to be a controlled substance and illegal to possess... wouldn't taking tax money directly derived from the sale of a controlled substance be contrary to federal law?
monetarily benefiting from a federal crime lands people in Prison and has their property stripped from them.. but we're saying it's ok for the federal govt to do so?

I don't want them to tax it on a federal level, but if they really want that money, they should decriminalize it first....

I am not sure about the US, but here where it is illegal and legal, they cannot tax it as it would be proceeds of crime....which is a crime.

Heya Thrilla. :2wave: The Colorado Democrat filed the bill to have it removed as a controlled substance.

So a recent report in Colorado shows that more traffic accidents are now being caused by pot than by alcohol ..

.. And so it's clearly more dangerous than alcohol .. thus it should be removed from the controlled substance list.

:roll:

Of course, tax it big time .. even though all that will do will be to let the cartels back in big time and no one will buy the legal pot.

:roll:

Each day that passes since legalization we get more proof of what we always knew: pot for "recreational" abuse has no redeeming social value and is dangerous enough to the abuser and others .. to remain on the illegal side of the line and should never have been legalized.

I wonder how many more tragic deaths and stupid Democrat behavior we'll need before those responsible finally say, "oops -- we made a mistake".

:cool:

I think you're right on, and my comments were assuming that to be the eventual case.

Back
Top Bottom